Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: soda syphon
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 26-6-2011 at 20:02
soda syphon

I found a really nice heavy duty bottle at a thrift store today ($4). I was confuzed as to the bottles intended purpose since it was made of such thick glass. I have since realized that it is probably simply a soda syphon with a removed sprayer/valve assembly. This is great news because old soda syphons are ubiquitous at flee markets and antique stores.

Needless to say, this would be a great alternative to champagne bottles for moderate pressure work. I would really like to hydro test some soda syphons to see what they are capable of. It seems like thicker glass than a champagne bottle and the shape is a lot better, also the flat base allows for magnetic stirring.

The bottle is 26 oz (0.75 L) and weights ~3lbs empty. For comparison a full 12oz glass beer bottle weights ~1lb.

ss1.JPG - 238kB ss2.JPG - 111kB

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
johansen
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 14:23

http://www.eckraus.com/images/GL610LG.jpg
FWIW my brother tested two of these^ bottles to failure just a couple days ago. both about 85 PSI burst.
3mm thick wall for ~16MPa
While I cannot vouch for ^that specific bottle, the particular ones he tested are the gallon jugs that sell for about $13-16 at the usual locations and they are all about the same weight and etc.

If you can figure out the sidewall thickness you might feel safe with a 10:1 safety factor based off wikipedia's figure of 33MPa strength, as you don't have two or more to test to failure I would urge caution. keep in mind that with these particular glass bottles the thick sidewall works against you, you will have to compensate for the peak stress on the inside surface.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 14:48

Interesting, I have what looks like, that exact bottle and use it as a fermenter for smaller batches of wine. I too have hydrotested many bottles, but nothing over ~750 mL. Most bottles (750 mL and below), even with thinner walls can do 110psi without a problem. It is surprising that such a large bottle can do 85 psi despite its thin wall thickness.

[Edited on 6-27-2011 by smuv]

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop

Go To Top