Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Magnetic Stirrer Impro
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 15-3-2004 at 16:10
Magnetic Stirrer Impro

Just going through the scipics dir, and noticed this picture:

Anyone know who's it is? And how it was constructed?

As far as I can see, I see some sort of 80mm PC fan, (I have plenty of those!) and a switch and a few resistors or something.

Anyone knows who's it is? So I can ask for some spec's n stuff?

Cheers!

All that glitters isn't gold.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 15-3-2004 at 16:15

I used a PC 80x80mm fan once together with some glue and a sawed-off piece of plastic together with a microswitch to create a PWM for an electric motor (DC). From the picture, I'd deduce that someone has glued a rod-shaped permanent magnet to the fan, drawing a plastic-covered rod magnet stirring device along with it in the fluid. The extra circuitry is probably just a PWM speed control. All those fans are DC.

But I could be wrong, as usual.

[Edited on 2004-3-16 by axehandle]

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 15-3-2004 at 16:22

Hmm, I just checked, the maximum speed setting on my commerical magnetic stirrer is 1000 rpm, which is way too high for anything but extremely tiny magnets. Larger magnets (>1.5cm) just cant keep up with the motor.
For any normal applications (such as mixing liquid in a beaker), the commonly used setting is betw. 300-500 rpm.
Somehow I think PC fans run at a higher speed than 300-500 rpm. However, with a variable resistor, one could adjust the DC current (do those fans run at 5 or 12 V?), and thus vary the speed. The power of the fan though may not be enough to move bigger magnets in viscuous liquids.
At conrad.de (or maplin) one can buy motors with all sorts of rpm specifications, they may be more suitable for this.

Still, I think just a variable resistor is probably enough - one doesnt need all the electronics, unless the downstream motor eats up a lot of power.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 15-3-2004 at 16:24

Unless one wants to be environmentally friendly.... or is experimenting with PWM controlled from a computer, which is what I did. The fan was controllable from about 2rps to full speed.

Btw: They all run on 12V DC.

[Edited on 2004-3-16 by axehandle]

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 18-3-2004 at 16:27

I believe that belongs to Brainfever. I'd recongnise that countertop anywhere. It's in all his pics. Besides that I've seen the picture on another board.

http://www.geocities.com/brainfevert/magstir.html That also helped when forming my hypothesis.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BrAiNFeVeR
Harmless

Mood: busy

[*] posted on 21-3-2004 at 15:25
I confess

It's mine allright.
(I'll tell my mom you like her kitchen :))

It's nothing special really, it just is what it looks like.
A small power source (the entire cirquit board is the PS), just enough to feed the fan, a variable resistor and a pc fan with 2 strong little magnets attached to the top.

EDIT: it can be improved by a simple voltage divider based on a transistor, now it has a non-linear speed on the resistor, but I don't really care ...

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by BrAiNFeVeR]

Visit my site => http://brainfever.2ya.com
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top