Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Changing monikers
IndependentBoffin
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 21:42
Changing monikers

Dear all,

I have been advised by a mentor that my internet profile is too conspicuous, and that I should anonymise my online identity should I choose to keep posting in online forums :(

I enjoy this forum too much, and hence will continue interacting and contributing to this community under an alias ;)

Previously I had a discussion with some other members here whether it is a good idea to advertise your identity. I must concede you were right and online, it is better, with rare exception, to stay anonymous.

If you have a shipment of metal samples I sent to you pending, please U2U me if you haven't received them yet.

All the best folks,
IB.

I can sell the following:
1) Various high purity non-ferrous metals - Ni, Co, Ta, Zr, Mo, Ti, Nb.
2) Alkex para-aramid Korean Kevlar analogue fabric (about 50% Du Pont's prices)
3) NdFeB magnets
4) High purity technical ceramics
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 00:40

Quote:

If you have a shipment of metal samples I sent to you pending, please U2U me if you haven't received them yet.

Thus making you easily identifiable to your old account, thus a new account pointless.

All that glitters isn't gold.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 06:44

I happen to agree; please let me explain however.
I'd really hope you would think of a "flip-side" to that. We all really have NO anonymity in these days. If anyone thinks that they can keep their identity a secret by using an alias; they hadn't thought through the strength of the collective services that may attempt to find out.

What's more, it's unnecessary. An individual could post multiple pictures of materials and describe then as whatever and that doesn't mean anything directly to the authorities. Daily, tens of thousands of people post pictures or media of items that are completely falsified. If this were something that were a serious concern then approximately a decade ago, there would have been a notable reaction to it.

I do think it's important to use discretion & good taste when posting in ANY public venue but reasonably, if someone wanted to know who a person is, they would know in seconds. Experimental chemistry & the discussion of related subject, practical applications; a great many things, are discussed constantly. There are only so many resources and those are prioritized toward issues such as child abuse & exploitation, direct criminal victimization, etc. Using resources toward someone who lights a smoke bomb in their backyard simply doesn't occur. :P I ask you to consider the depth of this as there really is a vast loss of privacy that should concern people today!
In the early 1990's Email could still be encrypted via public key PGP & a few related items. The constant use of wireless phones and related items weren't so prevalent. Our identities & more importantly our privacy is lost and HAS been - some many years ago.

[Edited on 7-7-2011 by quicksilver]

Go To Top