Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The TRUTH about Elemental Scientific...
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 18:40
The TRUTH about Elemental Scientific...

So, early March I ordered some chems. I kept bugging them leaving messages asking where my order is... They shipped a month after I ordered. I got the package in the mail. Most of what I ordered is there- but I got a backorder slip for potassium iodide. Here I am, months after, calling every week, and not getting my iodine. I did a bit of detective work. I always imagined elemental being run out of some guy's basement- with the guy overwhelmed sitting on his computer with just his underwear on.... Now the truth comes out. In Appleton, WI there is a science/hobby store named "Galaxy Science & Hobby" with the SAME address! Elemental is 2 stores in one! Look it up- it is this little tiny store with GOOD ratings! And it gets better- open 7 days a week, but the store hidden inside of it can't ship orders within a month?

http://www.greatesthobby.com/wgh/directory/MS_1946.html

Look their address up- you'd be surprised if you see street view. Well, THAT'S elemental scientific!

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 18:56

That's kind of hard to believe, especially that you still didn't get your stuff! I think that manta.com may have the wrong address, but it's definitely possible. They have too much inventory to fit in that place! When I call, they always answer, and I placed my first, large order by fax to make sure they got it. I also found that there are at least several people working there (asked about ethylenediamine, they don't have it) Tomorrow I'll call them and ask about this store, and their relation to it. Also, I'll call the store number, and ask about Elemental.

edit:
The street view is hilarious!

[Edited on 8-7-2011 by barley81]
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 19:05

I don't see your point. Does the size of the store matter? Are you unhappy with their service because they have a small store?

It may be that they're having problems getting the potassium iodide. A bit unprofessional, but to be expected.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 19:13

I wish I had one of those in my neighborhood strip-mall. :o

I wonder if they would sell a franchise.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 19:57

I have personally been to galaxy and hobby in appleton Wisconsin to pick up my order. There is nothing wrong with this business. They are slow and some of my back order did come months later, but this is a legitimate chemistry store. Wish it was closer to where I live.

so Relax science hideout!
If they ever close down... Home chemistry will be the poorer for it! Just be patient with them... You will eventually get your order.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 23:10

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I wish I had one of those in my neighborhood strip-mall. :o

No kidding...

@ScienceHideout Search and there is a thread on Elemental that talks about how slow they are. Apparently for large professional businesses this is, unfortunately, normal. I just made my second order from them. First time was conc. nitric acid, I didn't bother them and It came in a month. Last week I made another order. It still said processing so I called one day and the didn't answer, I left a message. The next day I kept calling until they answered. I told them I need my order faster and it shipped out the next day, they were pretty nice.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 23:29

in all my orders from elemental, i have always gotten good service. they can take forever but what i have found when waiting or orders from them is that they have to wait for chemicals just like their customers. particularly CHCl3. it will come though.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 00:19

The "oops its not in stock" thing is annoying, never happened to me though. They said my order was in stock when I called so I hope thats true.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 06:18

I called Galaxy just now and they indeed are Elemental. Sorry I doubted. Turns out they have a hundred orders ahead of mine, with three people to pack, so I'll just let them do their thing instead of bothering them. The warehouse is located down the block according to them. I wish I lived in Appleton, really!
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 08:49

No offense but I find this thread to be pretty lame... I ordered from them and they even changed my order a few weeks in so that month wait was actually really beneficial. They are cheap, and support hobbyists, which in these times is really rare. Instead of trying to dig up dirt on them maybe you should be supporting them...
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 09:39

Note that there was a run on KI after the earthquakes in Japan, from people in panic mode and almost no clue when it comes to radioactives. Could have had an impact on your order.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 09:45

i have a cousin who lives in appleton wi. but i do not associate with him anymore.

@smaerd i don't think anyone is trying to dig up dirt on elemental. some folks just want to know who they are doing business with. those of us who have ordered from them realize how importanat what they do is for all of us and i doubt any info here will stop anyone ordering from them. they have an excellent list of available chems that are hard to find elsewhere and i don't mind paying a little extra for things since i can't use the snooty companies that hate on the amateur.

i can understand the frustration of having to wait for a shipment, but after one has dealt with them a few times then one learns that is the nature of what they do and plans accordingly. they take a while to send things but they also will help source things you can't find elsewhere and allow you to add to your order during the waiting period without extra shipping cost.

s.hideout is just new to elemental and he will learn that patience is a virtue when dealing with the sticky rules and regs of the chemical industry.

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

wink.gif posted on 16-8-2011 at 17:35
The REAL truth about elemental scientific.

After hearing so many good testimonies from members I decided to give them a browse. I love there operation. Such variety and it is all catered to the individual. The only complaint seems to be time. I am patient and don't mind waiting, but just to see I ordered a few simple items tonight and will post the progress as I track it.

The Items(Just a few odds and ends that need replacing):

2 TH123 Thermometer, Centigrade, -10 to 400 C - $4.95
$9.90
1 BP172-12 Pipette, Straight, Glass, Rubber Bulb, 4", Qty: 12 - $3.75
$3.75
1 TP100 pH Test Paper, Universal - $1.29
$1.29
2 BJ221 Bottle, Narrow Mouth, Glass, w/Glass Stopper,125ml - $8.75
$17.50
2 BJ321 Bottle, Wide Mouth, Glass, w/Glass Stopper, 125ml - $8.35
$16.70
2 BJ547 Bottle, Dropping, w/TK Flat Glass Stopper, 200ml - $9.50
$19.00

I have to say I am not worried and have high hopes. If this order goes smoothly they will be seeing a lot of my money in the near future.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-8-2011 at 17:54

In my last order I called them and asked them so ship it after a week. They did the next day, everything was in stock. I recommend them, they have an amazing chemical selection for the amateur.

My YouTube Channel

overload
Hazard to Self

Mood: miserable fat slave

[*] posted on 16-8-2011 at 23:18

I bought a bunch of amber glass bottles a long time ago and they came scented. Even after storing nitric acid in the bottle so long that the cap liquifide the amber glass bottle... was still scented. anything I put in there... was scented. The scent is so strong it has a taste. They still smell as if I just opened the package. (I bought the bottles from a company that sells essential oils and extracts.)
uchiacon
Hazard to Self

Mood: Financial

[*] posted on 17-8-2011 at 00:09

Wow, you guys really get ripped off for your glassware : /... my condolences.

Why dont you all scrape together a few grand and have a big bulk order of glassware from a reputable chinese manufacturer? kimax/chemglass etc are all overpriced imo, and my glassware has held up fine to vacuum during a conc nitric distillation.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

Before you find youself cheering for a new regulation, consider your reaction if you were to be on the receiving end.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2011 at 01:08

Quote: Originally posted by overload  
I bought a bunch of amber glass bottles a long time ago and they came scented. Even after storing nitric acid in the bottle so long that the cap liquifide the amber glass bottle... was still scented. anything I put in there... was scented. The scent is so strong it has a taste. They still smell as if I just opened the package. (I bought the bottles from a company that sells essential oils and extracts.)

Was this company elemental scientific? Because that's the store were discussing here. Sorry to hear your glassware came in such bad shape.

My YouTube Channel

Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2011 at 03:18

Quote: Originally posted by uchiacon  
Wow, you guys really get ripped off for your glassware : /... my condolences.

Why dont you all scrape together a few grand and have a big bulk order of glassware from a reputable chinese manufacturer?

I don't need a big bulk order of glass, just a few odds and ends that constantly need replacing in my lab. For my needs, the convenience of being able to order reagents and equipment on an individual scale greatly outweighs the reduced price of buying in bulk.

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

cool.gif posted on 17-8-2011 at 16:39
UPDATE

Just got the email:
:D
Quote:

Dear removed,

Your Order Status was updated to : Shipped

-----------------------------------------------------
Name : removed
Order Number : ES-5025
Order Date : 8/16/2011
Order Total : $79.15
-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your support.

Elemental Scientific, LLC

redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 17-8-2011 at 17:45

Holy Cow! That timestamp says you ordered it yesterday and ES shipped it today! :o When I ordered $220 worth from them, it took about 9 weeks to ship and 1 week to arrive. I was in no rush, and the wait was no problem, but...just....wow! Did you ask them to ship it post-hast?

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2011 at 18:14

No, I didn't convey any haste. When they asked where I heard of them I said Science Madness forum though, maybe that helped. Also, I didn't order any chemicals, just some basic glass and such. I'm sure they had it all in stock. I was honestly surprised too. Less than 24 to ship is uncommon for most suppliers. Hope it continues to go smoothly. I love there reagent list and if this little order goes well I expect me and them to have a long and lusty relationship. They have some hard to find stuff in very convenient quantities.

Bot0nist
International Hazard

biggrin.gif posted on 19-8-2011 at 15:22
The TRUTH is in!

My order arrived at ~ noon today. Ordered on the 16, arrived on the 19. I live in the south east USA, so it was several states away. Everything came in perfect condition. I am very pleased with my order. I am recommending them to all of you.

:):):)
Looks like the truth is in. Not that we had any doubt.

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 15:48

If not a major big supplier it is common for them to wait until they can get a large quantity of certain items, to be able to sell smaller amounts to hobbyists at a low price. This is normal for an outfit that size. Plus as was mentioned KI was virtually nonexistent and what there was had jumped in price due to Japan. So why complain. If he could save 900 percent by waiting for an item he waits. I saw KI tablets in a box of 10 on ebay for $600 in July. Would you be happy if he had paid those prices, and kicking this cost back to you?

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 16:41

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
I saw KI tablets in a box of 10 on ebay for $600 in July.

Should have sold my 500g of KI then! :D

...just kidding ;)

My YouTube Channel

redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 16:43

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
If not a major big supplier it is common for them to wait until they can get a large quantity of certain items, to be able to sell smaller amounts to hobbyists at a low price. This is normal for an outfit that size. Plus as was mentioned KI was virtually nonexistent and what there was had jumped in price due to Japan. So why complain. If he could save 900 percent by waiting for an item he waits. I saw KI tablets in a box of 10 on ebay for $600 in July. Would you be happy if he had paid those prices, and kicking this cost back to you?

Wow! :o:o:o Only a fool would pay that much! Back in June I bought a pound of sodium iodide (reagent grade, Baker) for 55 usd.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top