Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tired of reporting spam
hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

thumbdown.gif posted on 9-7-2011 at 00:50
Tired of reporting spam

I'm sure everyone has noticed lots of spam recently. I guess it's not the biggest deal but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make people do a captcha for their first post, or first 5 posts. These spam bots look like bots, not people, so that should take care of it. If it didn't we could could have mods approve a new members first post. If mods don't want to have to go through all that I'm sure other members would volunteer their time. Thoughts?

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2011 at 08:51

These things have been brought up before. It's weird that people actually view, and sometimes even respond, when it's clearly spam. I think that some of the bots are human-guided.

I reported a thread once and was surprised that a U2U was sent to ALL the moderators. It seems redundant to do it that way.

I believe a new member's first 2 or 3 posts should be screened -OR- grant a few established, frequent members a quasi-moderator status so that suspicious posts can be put on hold (not deleted or edited) and let the real moderator have the last word. This would greatly cut down on multiple members reporting the same spam thread IMO. A thread that is 'on hold' (or temporarily locked) can't be opened by anyone except the mods. That way, the newbies or the unsuspecting members don't get suckered into clicking on links and so forth.

Though, all this may be easier said than done.

Tank

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 16-7-2011 at 11:25

People already have to decode a captcha from the forum to sign up. People also need to be able to receive email at a real address. Many of the spammers use gmail addresses, and gmail has its own captcha system required for signup. I don't know what the division of labor is between bots and humans, but there appears to be no shortage of humans to process captchas when necessary.

The one silver lining is that this site is busy enough that spammers are noticed quickly. On some low-activity forums spammers create a death spiral, where spam isn't eliminated fast enough and then the real users grow disinterested because all recent posts seem to be spam.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2011 at 13:04

thats true. I always report spam, is this to be encouraged or should I stop because enough people already report?

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2011 at 14:23

Good question. I do the opposite, neglecting to hit the report button thinking others have already reported the spam.

Come to think of it, I rarely ever open a thread with a spammy title by a new member. I guess it's no surprise that a good majority of the spam posts are jewelry-related. I'll bet the crawler(?) sees a lot of words like "platinum", "gold", etc. on here and deems this a good place to drop jewelry spam.

One other thing that probably helps to propagate spam on here is the fact that Science Madness has a good presence on Goooogle. ;) All in all, it's under control IMO (except for some sporadic outbreaks). That's likely where a human intervenes to defeat the captha.

Parker, since you're in Cali, have you ever driven down to TJ??

Tank
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2011 at 18:27

TJ? Take that as a no, what is it?

My YouTube Channel

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 18-7-2011 at 03:46

Tijuana maybe? I hear they got donkey shows...

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2011 at 09:40

I think quasi-moderators and adding a 24-hour delay to thread creation (Best example: Plaster all over the user creation, if they create a thread within 24 hours of their profile's creation, it and their profile will be deleted). Should be easy to enforce with some deadlines.

Also, some simple yes/no questions with the answers written in plain language nearby:
Do not check this box, check the next one []
Ignore this text, check the box []
Check this box if you followed directions []
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2011 at 12:03

I like what barley81 did in the last spam thread. After reporting it, he posted "Spam thread reported" in the thread. This way everyone who always reports every spam they see (like me) will know its handled, and it will keep us from flooding the moderators with report U2Us. So, If you see a spam thread and it doesn't have a "reported spam" post in it, report it and post that you did. I think this will help.

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2011 at 12:10

That sounds perfect, ill do that.

My YouTube Channel

White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 11:22

I actually like reporting spam. Is that weird?
I did notice that there's more spam recently, it's strange that people would chose to spam this website, the conglomeration the the best and brightest minds on the web.

I agree that it's critical to post "spam reported" after reporting, so that the administrators don't get a flood of U2Us about the same spammer.

This is just an idea, but is it possible to set up a limit to how many hyperlinks you can put in one post? Granted, some users use many hyperlinks to direct people to pertinent and useful content and documents. But I think that if one post has more than ~15 hyperlinks, it should automatically be sent to the administrators so they can decide for themselves.

I personally never used more than 5 hyperlinks, this might be a nice way to automatise the elimination of spammers. Spam is mostly automatic, so why not eliminate it in a semi-automatic fashion as well?

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 12:09

I think no sig/hyperlinks in the first 10 posts would be nice, but all that will yield is SPAM posts without content!

Why not an elementary science question for an additional captcha? Maybe, what element has atomic number 1? Or, "Do as you oughtta, add acid to ____" or something promoting common sense / safety :) "A good chemist always wears his ____ goggles and gloves" or something.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 12:18

Maybe I wasn't clear. What I meant is to set up a threshold over which any post with a number of hyperlinks greater than or equal to that amount would be sent to admin for inspection.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 13:30

Is there no way we can track them? These spammers are coming from forums somewhere. Can we not find anyway to figure out where they are coming from?

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 14:12

First thing I would think is IP. But they could proxy up or use TOR, and it would be a huge pain, futile, and kinda wrong to block known proxies and TOR nodes. They might be coming from the same IP anyway. So unless we see a trend in IPs then probably not by IP.

I like the idea of first post needs to be approved by a mod. If the mods don't want that responsibility maybe they could be approved by anyone? Everyone's first post goes in a private section and all it takes is a user confirming it isn't spam for it to go public. This system would allow for the possibility of abuse though. Also I think the current spam situation isn't detrimental to the forum.

My YouTube Channel

Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 16:54

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
I think the current spam situation isn't detrimental to the forum.

I agree, I think the "spam reported" posts are working. It is annoying when a bot comes on and bumps 20+ old threads to today's post's with spam, but most of the time it's just a post or two and the mods are really good about getting it right in a timely manner. Also, I hope the "spam reported"posts help from keeping us from flooding the mod and admins boxes.

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 01:25

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Is there no way we can track them? These spammers are coming from forums somewhere. Can we not find anyway to figure out where they are coming from?

I am fairly certain most of them are based in China or India. Sometimes I wonder whether the 1 billion people in China now having access to the internet (many of whom are learning english) is a good thing.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 01:56

China's population now is around 1,400,000,000.
Sleeping giant, indeed!

[edit] Waking giant, I shudda' said!

[Edited on 28-12-2011 by hissingnoise]
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 02:38

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  

I am fairly certain most of them are based in China or India. Sometimes I wonder whether the 1 billion people in China now having access to the internet (many of whom are learning english) is a good thing.

Internets is for everyone, not just those who speak English, the only problem I see with their internet setup is the censorship.

My YouTube Channel

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 06:52

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
Internets is for everyone, the only problem I see with their internet setup is the censorship.

Perhaps I have a solution that will cleanse this forum forever of pointless spam...

Someone just contact the chinese government and relate to them that you have reason to believe this forum may be providing information on how to make explosives to chinese dissidents. They will not hesitate to block this forum from all users in China. :D Hopefully there are not any good chinese members that frequent here. :(
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 09:24

If everyone that uses the report function would also leave the "spam reported" notification, then everything would be just fine. It does not take much to clean up the spam, but unnecessarily going trough a dozen reports is somewhat annoying. Thankfully there are members who promptly report spam. It helps a lot, but it would be even better that there would only be members who report and notify others about the report. So this is what members can work on in order to improve the spam removal system.

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
Perhaps I have a solution that will cleanse this forum forever of pointless spam...

Someone just contact the chinese government and relate to them that you have reason to believe this forum may be providing information on how to make explosives to chinese dissidents. They will not hesitate to block this forum from all users in China. :D Hopefully there are not any good chinese members that frequent here. :(

How about contacting a Swedish embassy and telling them that there is a certain delusional neonazi that gathers such information on this forum? Wouldn't that make much more sense? At least it would not cause any injustice to anyone and might actually help the authorities to finally arrest the right person.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 10:25

Hehe, you mean Nicodem. But caustically hilarious.

[Edited on 28-12-2011 by Bot0nist]

gutter_ca
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored at work!

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 11:35

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  

How about contacting a Swedish embassy and telling them that there is a certain delusional neonazi that gathers such information on this forum? Wouldn't that make much more sense? At least it would not cause any injustice to anyone and might actually help the authorities to finally arrest the right person.

gutter_ca likes this.

Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 01:58

Jeeez! Something really needs to be done to stop this shite pouring into the forum!
I mean, it's got waaay beyond a joke!!!

P
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 10:10

Funny, I rarely see spam?
(apart for Pulverulencent's posts!!*)

Dann2

* only joking
 Pages:  1    3  ..  28

Go To Top