Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tired of reporting spam
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2013 at 15:05

What on Earth are you rambling on about, <strong>bismuthate</strong>?

And 160 posts in a little under two weeks... you're approaching spammer status yourself!

ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2013 at 18:20

does stuff automatically get deleted if it is reported more than once in short succession?
perhaps it should
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

Mood: Organometallics

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 02:54

Electrowin makes a good point, but I think the system in place now is working fine IMO.
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's been an increase in spam this past week?
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2013 at 21:02

A cursory look at recent spam posts reveals that most of them are for:
Louis vuiton, Nike, Adidas, iPhone etc. Is it possible to modify forum software so that any new post having these "key-words" will be automatically deleated and the member be barred immediately?

Gsd
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 03:12

and cheap kitchens.
that's actually a very good idea, but only for members with less than 10 posts,
if a known member posts a long time consuming article and says''sorry for the picture quality, My IPhone camera sucks''

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 07:10

<strong>gsd</strong>: yes, it's possible. But it's not really necessary.
<strong>Pyro</strong>: you are also correct. Writing a spam-killing script has many such caveats.

As I've been writing elsewhere, many of our current annoyances will be lessened when we <a href="viewthread.php?tid=18651">migrate to new board software</a>. Please don't take this as me saying not to continue with suggestions, though. Feedback on how to improve the software is always a good thing, whether it's implemented or not. Ultimately, it's up to Polverone, and if he has time and motivation to put more work into the de-spamming script.

[Edited on 14.10.13 by bfesser]

Semmelweis
Harmless

Mood: A lack of 5-hydroxytryptamine

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 09:31

The fun thing about gsd's post, is that it would have itself triggered the hypothetical script... :D
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 10:33

We jut got spam that is slightly relevent by anna h! Does SM usualy recive relevent spam?
bfesser my intention was never to spam SM I will try not to post as frequently. My apologies.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 11:47

Quote: Originally posted by Semmelweis  
The fun thing about gsd's post, is that it would have itself triggered the hypothetical script... :D

Could be remedied by only applying the code to the title...

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 13:30

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
Does SM usualy recive relevent spam?
bfesser my intention was never to spam SM I will try not to post as frequently. My apologies.
Hey, <strong>bismuthate</strong>, no worries. Just try to take it easy on opening new topics. Try to find existing threads on what you wish to discuss.

As for relevant spam, it's rare, but it does happen. I recall one <a href="viewthread.php?tid=25435">instance</a> in particular that now resides in Detritus.

bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 14-10-2013 at 13:53

I read that post just yesterday. If only we got spam advertising cheap glassware.:P Once I got random pop up that advertised CuSO4 root killer at lowes.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 23:46
Nike spamming

We're getting a lot of nasty bandwidth from Nike salesbrats. Is there a way to screen these jerks out? Could someone write a subroutine to search and destroy these pests before they take up space here? I will never buy a Nike product for as long as I live and I'm embarrassed they started in my state before they moved to China.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
9-11-2013 at 06:47
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
2-12-2013 at 05:48
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 07:41

Quote: Originally posted by kmno4  
is it possible
Possible? Yes. Will it happen soon? That depends. As with all such suggestions, there are software issues. Please see call for participation: modernizing SM forum software.
<hr>bfesser moderator expellendus est
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 09:38

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Possible? Yes. Will it happen soon? That depends. As with all such suggestions, there are software issues.

This is an idea for administration ,not for you. You do not have to bother with commenting it.

Слава Україні !
Героям слава !
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 10:39

kmno4, did you delete your post? Anyway, watson.fawkes' response is correct; but it's ultimately up to Polverone. I'll add it to the wish list for the software upgrade.

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 11:52

Quote: Originally posted by kmno4  
Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Possible? Yes. Will it happen soon? That depends. As with all such suggestions, there are software issues.

This is an idea for administration ,not for you. You do not have to bother with commenting it.
Don't ask questions in public without expecting answers from the public.

You deleted your original post, which means you go on my personal list of cowards whose posts I must remember to quote in their entirety. I have quoted the entirety of your post above, accordingly, including the otherwise-superfluous quotation of my own words.

The original post, for the record, was yet another suggestion for a spam reduction algorithm.
<hr>bfesser moderator expellendus est
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Pruned
5-12-2013 at 19:04
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 07:36
New spam behaviour idea?

I've got this idea for a new recommendable policy towards spammers, which is not to post in any spammer's thread, even if it's a "SPAM REPORTED" message. This avoids getting the topic unnecessarily bumped and deters people from going in, driving less attention towards it until a moderator destroys it.
This mass effect, when you see a topic with new replies, you go in to see what it is, maybe post "REPORTED" while you report it, the posts increase and so on... it would all be prevented by this policy.

By the way, AFAIK, there are no written Forum Rules anywhere, so I would suggest creating a (closed) topic with a list of basic rules for members to see.
Ideas.

Eddygp.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 07:45

This is a great idea, I think it would help to not feed the fire.
On the topic of the rules, there are the forum guidelines. These could be given a more prominent position, though.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 07:57

what spam are you taking about? trolls or ads?

but if I see a spam post with a reply I know it's been reported and don't even need to look, but if there were no replies one wouldn't know if it had been reported yet

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 08:23

oftentimes posters add links highlighted in blue to quote references much like spammers.by the way do spam bots also register their user names or is it done by actual people? the member who posted "spam not reported" in the spam with the semi nude ad had me laughing for days and days.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 12:16

I have said it before on this topic and I'll say it again. Configure the software to block link posting until a new account has made a certain number of posts. Being seen as useless information posted a mod can kill the account. Therefore they must come in and create yet a new account which also cannot post links. I have seen other sites do this and rapidly the number of spam posts came down.

One could also not allow posting links if mods had time to see each new topic which was posted to determine useful information, meaning not a spambot rather than a number (say 3 to 7 posts) of posts before links are allowed. In effect a new member can only posts links after a mod gives permission to the account to post links which then can go on it's own able to post links.

I saw this work well on a site getting riddled by spammers. If a new member complains they cannot post a link the answer is you will be able to after you have made 3 (or whatever number) relevant useful posts.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
21-12-2013 at 13:56
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 25-12-2013 at 13:45

This can be added easily to the source code. On pressing the post button a php command can be added to check mysql database for the user posting and compare if its less than ten then if it is show "must have 10 posts" or else proceed.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 26-12-2013 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
We're getting a lot of nasty bandwidth from Nike salesbrats. Is there a way to screen these jerks out? Could someone write a subroutine to search and destroy these pests before they take up space here? I will never buy a Nike product for as long as I live and I'm embarrassed they started in my state before they moved to China.

I like Nike products, of course I don't agree with their spamming.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 26-12-2013 at 12:48

Zyklonb, the spam isn't for genuine Nike products. Are you really that thick?

Random, it's easy for you to say that something's easily added to the source, especially if you haven't see it. The minor benefit of reduced spam wouldn't be worth the effort; in addition, what you propose would prevent newbies from posting legitimate links to references.

[edit] Personally, I find the posts complaining about spam to be as annoying as the spam itself. It's really not that big of a deal and we seem to have it fairly well controlled for the time being.

[Edited on 26.12.13 by bfesser]

Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 27-12-2013 at 14:55

Actually bfesser even though my knowledge about php and mysql is quite rusty (last time I was doing something with it was when I was 12) I still remember something to see how it could be done. It can be done in few lines of php code with one or two mysql database requests which will compare postcount with if else command. Not that complicated.

Now if it would be a good idea as you said thats entirely different story.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  28

Go To Top