Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tired of reporting spam
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 18:10
Kitchens in England Spammer

Have you guys noticed that a lot of spam is about kitchens in England?
I feel like if admins could ban the guy's IP, spam might reduce.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
26-2-2014 at 18:21
thesmug
Hazard to Others

mad.gif posted on 27-2-2014 at 22:22
So much spam!

Have you guys seen this:
http://i.imgur.com/AUJSXtF.png
It's so crazy and it happens almost every day. (This question mainly for the moderators) Do you know of any spam filters for this kind of message? As far as I know, they're always the same. Either about stilhaus kitchens or about nike shoes.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 22:46

I always thought this could be easily rectified by something like the following at the registration screen:
"Type the second and sixth letters in: Hydrogen"
or
"What liquid covers 3/4 of the Earth's surface, and freezes into ice?"
These are questions that 99.99% of these spammers would not be able to answer, and most humans over the age of 5 can answer. I seriously cannot see a downside to doing that...

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 23:27

That is a good idea, but they already have the one where you have to type the jumbled letters, how do the spammers get around that?

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 03:17

I understand that the captchas were originally designed to collect data to improve character-recognition software. Perhaps the programs are just good enough to get past them now.
Those easy science questions sound like a good idea though!

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by Pinkhippo11  
That is a good idea, but they already have the one where you have to type the jumbled letters, how do the spammers get around that?

If the spammers are real people, then they could get past it just as easily as you could, it's only made to stop non-humans.
A chemistry-specific question, however, could stop some people who are just advertising, but with the internet, ignorance is inexcusable, they could still look up nearly any question, and have the answer within 20 seconds....

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 07:51

What if the first post a new user makes does not get displayed on the forum until a mod gives it the OK(if it relates to chemistry and otherwise non kitchen counter related crap)? At that point the account would become active as normal... Like a one post probationary period.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
28-2-2014 at 11:46
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 19:32

Is there anything else that can be done? I just clicked the "Who's online" button, you will notice there are 7 pages of 'people' online. I use the term loosely because when I went through them, 85% of them were registering at the time. I assume they are all spam bots trying to auto-register. Yes, it's great that we're not getting flooded considering how many spam bots are beating on our door but it's a frightening prospect that the flood gates might open with just a step or two forward in spam bot programing.

spam.jpg - 74kB

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 08:31

I'm rather confused, as it seems that this thread never came to a real consensus on how to properly report spam.
I've been reporting it and then posting a "spam reported" post. Is that the preferred way of reporting, or are we doing something else? It seems that there are a lot of good ideas on this thread, but many of them are conflicting with each other, and none of them seem to be unanimously agreed on.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 13:11

Please just send a spam report with "spam" in the body, but don't post in the spam-thread.

Please DO continue to report spam! I check the reports periodically and add people who make consistently good report to a special spam-handling script. If two trusted users report a post as spam, the spammer, all his posts, and the reports are all automatically eliminated. Reporting spam so that it is auto-deleted makes the job of the moderators a lot easier, since ordinary users can effectively run the spam patrol even if there are no mods online at the time.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 13:20

nice. I use to type reported as well, but haven't for a while as no one else was. are we still only reporting the first spam post from a bot if they make multiples? if we need 2 trusted members to report, and they pick diff posts by the guy, then it wont be eliminated right off.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 15:41

Alright, thanks. I will do that from now on.
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 25-3-2014 at 01:23

I would suggest reporting the oldest post by the spam bot- that is the first post, that increases the chances of more approved reporters seeing it and making it's visibility as short as possible.

Suggestions. Would it help if the board was only visible and browsable to logged in users? The way I see it, spam spiders search available text in forums for keywords in order to select which ads to spam the board with. If they cannot see any text surely they would move on? The downside to this is promoting the board itself but then again there are some topics here that we'd rather not have indexed in Google search.

Also, it might help to change the 'login' and 'register' links to something else like 'in' and 'get in' (for lack of something appropriately unusual) which would throw the bot software. Maybe have an index page where one would see at least 4 links namely: Login, Register, In, Get in, where the login and register links would send bots and humans to a page where bots would attempt to register for the rest of eternity and get nowhere but a piece of text appears explaining to humans which link they should've used. Or if the bots succeed to register through the 'register' link they post in a section that's invisible to humans and setup to auto delete every 24 hours.

Change the login and register url's to something non-standard.

[Edited on 25-3-2014 by froot]

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 26-3-2014 at 08:01

That sounds good in theory, but also like it may be slightly confusing to real people who want to register. For instance the "in" and "get in" should fix the problem somewhat, but will probably also throw off or inconvenience some people, not to mention that it also sounds kind of sketchy.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 23:43

I just report all of them still on the forum. That way if I am added to the script, there is a greater chance of any of the posts triggering elimination of the offender with just one additional vote. Probably too much effort to try to get the script to integrate a ratio of reported posts to total posts, and it may be questionable to set an arbitrary threshold on non-trusted reports to eliminate someone.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 07:34

I tend to report all of them too. That way there's no confusion about which post to report. Also, like Polverone said, don't post anything in the spam thread. I could be
mistaken, but that may confuse the auto-deletion script.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 08:25

Quote: Originally posted by froot  
The way I see it, spam spiders search available text in forums for keywords in order to select which ads to spam the board with. If they cannot see any text surely they would move on? The downside to this is promoting the board itself but then again there are some topics here that we'd rather not have indexed in Google search.

No need to promote the site at this point. If only there was a way to get the spammer to click on ads...

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 10:05

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
If only there was a way to get the spammer to click on ads...

I like the way you think!
Töilet Plünger
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 14:03

Who is TessaMist? I keep seeing this bot logged in and changing its biography. It doesn't seem to be doing anything else, but it is promoting a Twitter "robofollower" site - the kind celebrities use to make themselves more popular.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 07:53

Quote: Originally posted by Töilet Plünger  
Who is TessaMist? I keep seeing this bot logged in and changing its biography. It doesn't seem to be doing anything else, but it is promoting a Twitter "robofollower" site - the kind celebrities use to make themselves more popular.

It is just a new type of spammers that exploit the fact that google and other searching engines index the member profile as well. If you check the recently registered members list that have a WWW link in their profile, you will see that almost all of them are spammer accounts. They need not to post anything, because their goal is to promote the URL of the site that pays them by increasing the google rating through spam indexation. At the same time they are less intrusive than the old spambots, which means that they are less easily detectable and that their removal would require a manual intervention (the antispam script cannot be used on them unless they post something). Their spamming is still parasiting the forum, but at least it is not interfering with the forum quality.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 08:07

By the way, I have been reporting all spam I see, but am I on the "list", because they still survive long afterwards?

froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 01:31

Quote:
If you check the recently registered members list that have a WWW link in their profile

Can the forum software disallow url's in profiles of members in the 'harmless' group?

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 19:47

I agree with froot. People should be able to stand waiting until they've gone past harmless to post their website in their profile.
They could still have it in their signature if they wanted to, whether they're allowed to have it on the profile page or not. It shouldn't actually hurt real members at all.
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 20:53

Sorry to go off topic, but have any of you ever tried going to the links in these spam posts? The whole website (which is legitimate) is filled with 0/10 reviews and comments like "this store shouldn't even let you rate above 0/10!" It's actually quite funny.
Töilet Plünger
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:20

Why not have a separate group, for those with <10 posts, with a name like "Potential Spambot?" The "Harmless" group is too large to disallow links for them (case in point: me).

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  28

Go To Top