Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tired of reporting spam
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-9-2014 at 22:30

Just got done weeding out a new batch- I do feel the desire to make this "personal" for the ass hats foisting this garbage on the site...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
22-9-2014 at 06:21
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 22-9-2014 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
I have tweaked the reporting process, somewhat inspired by violet sin. Before spam had to be reported by two trusted members or one moderator before it was auto-deleted. Now it will be auto-deleted if it is reported by one trusted member and one 'semi-trusted' member. Everyone who has been registered at least 60 days and has at least 50 posts automatically becomes a member of the 'semi-trusted' group. This should reduce the waiting time for spam deletion, and means that any frequent user of the site can help stamp out spam.

Would it be possible to make a feature which allows trusted members to report new users which are spam bots. Even if it is only users who have say max 10 posts and have registered within the past day, autodeleting spam bots would make it much easier and allow members to get the spam bots before they even post.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 20:01

There are pages upon pages upon pages upon page upon pages upon pages upon pages of spam accounts on the member list. Could a few mods wipe all of them?

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 05:27

Right now there has been another wave of spam.... blegh

hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 05:03

Here's another wave. Some help reporting it please.

------------------------

Ah, that's better.:D

[Edited on 30-9-2014 by hyfalcon]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 00:05

Damn, a whole page of Japanese spam. Can I become trusted to help clean it up?

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 01:32

HELP!
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness
Thread Topped
1-10-2014 at 13:46
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 16:31

Quite a wave of signups today, all in the form of ODeacon, MFaunce, etc. or Z5194, K92V, and so on. Apparently the not-Latin or multiple random letters with a number members stuck out somehow?

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 16:51

Here come da spam!
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 11:35

What happens when a spammer posts in an actual active thread? I don't want to report it as spam if there is a possibility of it being automatically deleted... unless of course it only deletes the one post.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 21:32

so I see a lot of names in the format of: cap first initial + cap first letter of last name, all lower case rest of last name a lot. and most of them are 0 post names. now if you copy the names in that format, and google them, you get a LOT of accounts/members in other forums with 0 posts. like some one wants the names to have more hits if it is searched or some crap? could this be a diff kind of spam?

I went to who's online from the forum logo and picked the random name- BMileham, and got DDTankPRO, Soshified, Molly Maven Forum, The Tax Forum, Twitter, FitLink, and 2 others that were shut down from excessive site travel. all apparently 0 posts/activity and some not even followed up on to confirm membership, still pending.

next I picked: ABarlee, and got pdfforge Forums, xGame Portal Forums, Bookmarkone.info( which only post was a coupon for bed bath and beyond), Green Business Institute, My Favorite Oldies( member info had links in it, including a malpractice layer), Video and Photo Community and more.

so this is weird, give it a try some time. I have done this on more than one occasion and I always find a bunch of empty profiles with 0 posts and links to crap. I have no idea what they are trying to do here, because on scimad their profiles have no links and they have made no posts. but there are a lot of them... looks to be 31 names with that format online at this time.

of the 31
SMadison,had a link to a lease in his profile
RNicholls, had a youtube link
PKlein, youtube link
NLorenz " "
MEstrella " "
LHarms, other link
KPolding, facebook link to toddler swimwear
JPercy, horschop-onlin link

and I got bored again. so some of these accounts do have links, a fair number don't, and all have 0 posts( that I have checked)
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 23:06

Thanks for the note. I thought I had already fixed that. I have confirmed a fix now. Members who have never posted will no longer appear in Who's Online. Also, if you are not logged in to the site you will no longer be able to view the profile of a zero-post member, even if you know the user name.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 05:53

Bloody hell,
Never seen anything like this:

spam.JPG - 136kB
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 07:00

Please, we really need to vet new registrations. I'll do it!

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 07:23

I have just reported each and every single one of these spam messages. Now someone else, please start reporting so that we can clear these out!

Now, I have a question. Why is it that some spam disappears quickly after I report it, but other messages linger for hours on end, like the stench of a dead woodchuck on a hot summer day? Is it perhaps a quirk in the spam reporting script?

[Edited on 11-24-2014 by WGTR]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 08:45

It is probably because I have been quite busy on many days and thus may go 6-12 hours between checking my U2U for spam reports... Or on a day off, I may be sitting with a rifle and waiting for a careless deer to stroll by, with the sciencemadness forum on my smart phone to pass the time- In which case, I get your spam report and deal with it in seconds.

I believe I have been reporting/deleting more spam lately than the other moderators, due to having more free time to access the forum and "sweep the floors".

I would suggest that some more of the most active spam reporting members (including WGTR!) be granted the "trusted spam sniffer" power of instant spam banishment. This could free up some of my time for other projects I would like to organize and post on here?

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 10:00

What if you follow the troubleshooting guides on XMB1.9.11 ?

www.versuchschemie.de

"Keep sportive it's like Soccer: play on the ball, not on the players"
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 10:16

Quote: Originally posted by JAVA  

Please be more specific.

JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-11-2014 at 08:47

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Quote: Originally posted by JAVA  

Please be more specific.

Ask it to the admin or moderators on XMB, what do they write ?

If I'm right then Apache do have a license until January 2015, just one month left with this XMB version. Why should they do many efforts then -->

AFAIK, they are working on version 2. UTFSE on that website

1) Check the system requirements http://forums.xmbforum2.com/viewthread.php?tid=774104

2) Legacy bugs fixed in 1.9.11, the full list stands http://docs.xmbforum2.com/Introduction/Change_Logs

btw:
I did see bfesser in the memberlist and during that time spam was not very common.

[Edited on 26-11-2014 by JAVA]

www.versuchschemie.de

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-11-2014 at 09:20

Quote: Originally posted by jock88  
Bloody hell,
Never seen anything like this:

The amount of spam posts, or the fact that M96E is both the new guy and the new girl? :D
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 26-11-2014 at 04:51

Why did they unleash this massive amount of spam upon us now?

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 26-11-2014 at 08:06

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  

How many chickens can dance on the head of a pin? Why did the angel cross the road? Why are spammers so evil? Why am I smoking my socks? These are imponderable questions, perhaps better left to the philosophers.

All I want to see, is that the spam disappears when I use the "report" function. I would also send taunting U2Us to the spammers, but I fear that some of them may also be good hackers. In the interest of self-preservation, I restrain myself...

[takes off silly hat, and puts serious hat back on]

It would be nice to know what effect my reports are having. If action from a mod is required to delete spam, then it would be best for me to let the mods do the housekeeping, and not take time messing with it myself. It would certainly be better for my indigestion. I hate spam.
JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-11-2014 at 09:17

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  

What do you see if you open SM in https, I see this in Belgium:

"www.sciencemadness.org uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed. The certificate expired on 2/11/2014 21:36. The current time is 26/11/2014 17:55. (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)"

The reason is that they didn't buy a very cheap official SSL certificate and that hackers can indeed penetrate in the php server side of the system.

I don't report spam anymore because it seems that I speak to the walls, many other members have this feeling too. Just wait a few months and don't post things anymore until they have fixed it, simply.

btw: there is U2U (but think 4 to 5 minutes, preview your post, think again before you put on that very fast nervous button)

[Edited on 26-11-2014 by JAVA]

www.versuchschemie.de

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 26-11-2014 at 15:55

I just reported a glut of spam that was filling the page. It is still arriving as I type.
I just wanted to confirm whether I am doing something useful or am I merely filling the moderators' inboxes with stuff that will get dealt with anyway.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 01:57

@Bert: I hope you are kicking these bastids out for good and while you're at it why not let everyone know that Dr. "Doc" Martin makes a much better shoe that can be had for a lot less money

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  28

Go To Top