Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 22:49

Spammer Meme.jpg - 203kB
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 00:33

I haven't read this whole tread, so it may have been suggested; what about a really really simple chemistry test for new accounts? Something like what is the chemical formula of water and is oxygen a reducer or a oxidizer?
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 03:40

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
I haven't read this whole tread, so it may have been suggested; what about a really really simple chemistry test for new accounts? Something like what is the chemical formula of water and is oxygen a reducer or a oxidizer?

Yup. I haven't read the whole thread either but 'Todays Posts' has just been spam-bombed again.................. This sh%t really does my head in

Maybe we could have it so that new accounts can't start a thread until they have 10 or 20 posts.................... That should stop it................

It should also stop people just signing up just to ask something or to sell stuff without giving a little contribution first.

Of all the forums on the net, SM really has it's own brand of culture, protocol and 'social' customs............ Members who sign up just to take and not give back are rightly frowned upon here....................

Where TF is aga when we need him......................? :D

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 04:18

I think aga is taking a self-imposed hiatus. Again. I wish he would just pull his head in a bit and enjoy the place; contributing as he can. But I get the impression he hasn't been in a good space for a while and has therefore lacked a certain perspective. I might send him an email.

I like your suggested policy on newbies. I am pretty sure that it has been suggested before but that there are either technical or philosophical issues with its implementation.

For a page of chinese garbage like we just experienced, I simply report the top two on the list and the one that has been viewed most often. Simply type "spam" (and nothing else) in the report box. Once a certain number of users do the same, the SM script takes over and deletes the spam user and all their posts. I don't think there is a need to report all of them. I go for those three since I am more likely that way to follow someone else's reporting and kick-start the script.
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 11:52

I actually came across an interesting concept for combating spam on a Java programming forum. Instead of having a standard confirmation email (which can be worked around), why not ask simple chemistry questions? Things like "How many moles of oxygen are consumed when 1.43 moles of iron rust?" This should defeat the most attempts to script account creation, and as a bonus it keeps the extremely low effort users from creating accounts :D
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 21:09

TRINITY!!!!!!
....HELP!!!!!

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
A Halogenated Substance
Hazard to Self

Mood: Oxidizing due to extended exposure to oxygen

[*] posted on 18-3-2017 at 06:50

Quote:
The second, and far more common problem, is that you do not have a single post yet. We've suffered from a spam problem here over the past few years, so in September of 2007 we instituted a "one post (reply) before being able to start a new thread" policy into the forum software. This prevented the automated spambots from posting their messages and cluttering our forum. This applies to all new members. Additionally, it is required of all members who registered before September 2007 to post at least once before being allowed to start a thread. The software did not differentiate between existing and non-existing members.

This is from a forum called "The Amateur Pyro" ( http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/ ) which I found while trying to hunt out various chemistry forums. Perhaps a rule could be implemented in which new members have to reply at least once before being able to make a new topic. This could stop spammers which are typically one time posters before being deleted.

Now we just need someone to implement it if this a agreeable idea...

Current Active works in Progress:
-Convert i-propanol to i-chloropropane using HCl and ZnCl2
-Determine properties and solubility of a glycerol and citric acid polymer
-Attempt a conversion of chloroform to dichloromethane
-Attempt a conversion of acetic acid to acetamide
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2017 at 19:54

There is a completely ridiculous amount of spam here at this moment.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-4-2017 at 20:08

What? Aren't you interested in the security holes for Chines remotes of US cars?
I thought everyone wanted information about that.

In. Every. Forum. Repeated. Over. And. Over. In. Chinese.

I've reported the first few in the list and also the three that have been visited most often. If we all do that then it should disappear pronto.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 09:34

Maybe limemenmt a limit on the # of posts a new user can make to a 1-3 posts in the beginers or misc section or any posting limit the first 10 posts. Once the posts are shown to not be spam, then allow posting.

Is there any way to flag a user after they have posted X number of posts in a certain amount of time - like 6, 12 or 24 hours? Once they go past a certain number they get put in a queue for moderation and then they are OK'd if they are good posts.

The moderation could be done by any trusted member (decided by mods/admin, post count, membership time, whatever). Have the posts listed in a sub forum "posts awaiting moderation" and from there they can be passed or flagged.

IDK if this software has features which would make this possible but I would guess one of these could be implemented in some way or another, maybe a combo of them.

It may take creating a new user group and place trusted member in this (maybe by user request??) and then give those members access to the "post moderation" forum. The users with access to this forum could have the option to delete the posts which are bad.

I'd like to help if I can, I can brainstorm some more but it is kind of like shooting in the dark without knowing what the board is capable or, what the admin is willing to implement and whether they will install board modifications (I'm sure there are some specifically for this problem).

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 13:33

The latest one, I mean WTF...........? - "Find Out Who is Discussing Baby Minky Blanket and Why You Need to Be Concerned "

Sorry, just had to preserve that one :D

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 08:24
Review of first 5 posts

Would review of new profiles and their first posts help cut down spam such as many have links. Luckly spam has been less of a problem on here also

What are some ways we can make an administrators job easier clearing spam
Reporting and typing the reason spam

I do like rougerose and that idea

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by symboom]
Assured Fish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Misanthropic

[*] posted on 12-8-2017 at 03:16

Wait are we supposed to be reporting those weird nonsensical posts that pop up once a day.
I just assumed the mods had that shit handled but if it goes by tally then i don't mind spending 10 second of my time reporting them.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 28-8-2017 at 05:32

One minor edit to the PHP code of the registration page would banish them for good. I've done it before with phpBB, and it's extremely easy. All we have to do is come up with a very easy question, or set of questions, to ask anyone registering. I downloaded the XMB software already, I just need someone to agree to add in the new code when it's ready.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-4-2018 at 03:37

There has been a bit of a glut of spam lately -- looks like several sources.
Thanks to everyone for reporting. Our systems are not perfect but we are staying on top of it all.

If you don't already know, simply hit the report button, type "spam" and send. The script will take over from there; erasing the thread and banning the spammer. Don't add a reply to the thread.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

sad.gif posted on 4-5-2018 at 09:40
Please report this type of "camo spam"

Look at this user account posting history:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/search.php?srchuname=...

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=82...

Every single one follows the same pattern. A question on a topic more or less appropriate to the forum. Followed by the claim to not have found an answer, and a couple of links (the objective of this charade being to have that link not removed, as we do with the stupid simple spam posts).

This spammer clearly has a template which is adapted in minor ways to whatever site/forum he is spamming.

This is wasting a bit of user time on pointless responses to camouflaged spam.

If you notice this type of post, please use the report button. Don't reply to the question.

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 10:53

So they are starting to think now.... interesting.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 11:54
If we can push them hard enough, will they actually LEARN CHEMISTRY?!

constructive_spam.png - 39kB

The first link is another science related forum, where they copy the questions posted here. They are smart enough to correlate these topics with other forums, but do not generate the actual question themselves.

So, I saw some spammers-

saw.jpg - 16kB

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 12:58

The new slew of Smart Spam is slightly more difficult to spot.

Just hover over the links they post --do not click-- and take a look at where the link goes to.

This is basic web hygiene - take a peek at the URL before clicking. It could be anything nasty.

Report it. Let the Gods sort it out ;)

coppercone
Hazard to Others

thumbdown.gif posted on 19-5-2018 at 07:57
whats with the russian bots

Every time I open a page I see some thread advertising pirated call of dutys or other virus ridden bullshit.

This forum needs a heavier catchpa or something.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 19-5-2018 at 08:02

This is being worked on
DrEvidence
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2018 at 12:50

I like warez, it's free :D
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-5-2018 at 15:55

I heard the Russian bots made a secret deal with the German bots to take over all the Polish bot nets, then split the Polish bot nets between themselves- and that the German bots are going to backstab the Russian bots a little while later.

mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 19-5-2018 at 18:59

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 9.45.22 PM.png - 128kB

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 19-5-2018 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

I heard the Russian bots made a secret deal with the German bots to take over all the Polish bot nets, then split the Polish bot nets between themselves- and that the German bots are going to backstab the Russian bots a little while later.

I also heard that this secret deal, otherwise known as the: "Botzi-Botsviet non aggression pact" was signed at bots-litovsk.

[Edited on 20-5-2018 by Vosoryx]

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  28

Go To Top