Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Film about amateur scientist
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 18-7-2011 at 03:50

Maybe legal and social issues...

I love this idea. I hope it really depicts the curiosity and drive to experiment that I am sure many of us feel.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
starman
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2011 at 10:49

I agree woelen is an excellent choice.However if you wanted a cantankerous (but brilliant) old man is a pity the dark lord Sauron is no longer active on the forum.(he's inThailand anyway)

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2011 at 15:07
11th hour

Cough..

I'm a bit late in on the action but never mind. The early bird gets the worm.
BUT THE SECOND MOUSE GETS TO EAT THE CHEESE!

I enclose my mugshot.
Rattle me up for my CV.

Regards,
Dann2

neanderthal-615.jpg - 110kB
flyingant
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-7-2011 at 16:00

Thanks for all for your responses. Please still feel free to get in touch either via the forum or email if you have any questions/ would like to express an interest in taking part.

Great to have your backing Woelen- thanks for your kind words. It is that sense of wonder and an enthusiasm for experimentation and discovery that you mention which perfectly sums up the mood with which we are seeking to imbue the film; a philosophical approach rather than a purely technical or scientific one.

In terms of 'crew', we should be clear that we are only two. But it is important to emphasise that there will be no producers, execs, assistants etc. We are an independent outfit, operating apart from any TV channels or large companies.

We appreciate your time and thoughts and thank you for having us take part in the forum. We'll keep you up to date with any developments.
All best,
FlyingAnt
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2011 at 19:11

@woelen should you indeed take part in this and @flying ant, i would like to receive updates about events and shooting/screening if that is possible. a film highlighting the mystique and romanticism felt toward amateur chemistry by those of us in the know(those of us not cowering from the fear and ignorance taught by mass media) would be a lovely distraction. being such a young project i expect it will take some time, but i would definitely like to know more.

francis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-7-2011 at 21:03

I agree with Roger, this could be quite excellent...

To the film maker:

Have you seen the TV show 'Victorian Pharmacy' (title is something like that)?

I caught a little bit of one episode yesterday, it was a documentary where two guys were making salicylic acid, in a slightly 'old' looking lab (lots of mahogany panels, etc)....it was alot of wet chemistry with glassware lots of home chemists have.
I think the idea was to show how pharmacists worked in the Victorian age (hence the title)...anyway, I only saw a bit, but the actual footage was quite nice: focusing on the solvents, the reagents, the glassware etc.

Other than that I've never seen a movie about home chemistry.

I know the Sundance Film Festival gives out the Alfred P. Sloan Prize for feature films about science and technology, portraying scientists, engineers or mathematicians as the major characters.....so maybe that's something you could aim for if you decide to make a feature film along these lines.

Good luck with it, I hope to see the film one day soon

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2011 at 22:07

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
@woelen should you indeed take part in this and @flying ant, i would like to receive updates about events and shooting/screening if that is possible. a film highlighting the mystique and romanticism felt toward amateur chemistry by those of us in the know(those of us not cowering from the fear and ignorance taught by mass media) would be a lovely distraction. being such a young project i expect it will take some time, but i would definitely like to know more.

Keep me posted as well, with updates, etc. My email is on my profile here. Looking forward to it, thank you.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top