Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Converting amine salts back into amines
ampakine
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2011 at 07:36
Converting amine salts back into amines

When converting an amine salt back into the amine, is the only criteria that you use a base with a higher Kb than that of the amine itself?

[Edited on 19-7-2011 by ampakine]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-7-2011 at 10:08

Life is not simple. It depends on the particular amine and many other things. Tell what compound you want to isolate, otherwise you won't get any help.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ItalianChemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-7-2011 at 15:18

Generally, if the amine is liquid or gas, a strong base such as NaOH or KOH is used, and the amine is distilled out!

[Edited on 19-7-2011 by ItalianChemist]
mario840
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-7-2011 at 21:58

This should be in organic , when amine and water form azeotrope you basify with KOH or NaOH and extract with toluene , diethyl ether etc. , dry with MgSO4, and then easily evaporate or destill solvent (ether) and get pure amine
ampakine
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-7-2011 at 09:44

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Life is not simple. It depends on the particular amine and many other things. Tell what compound you want to isolate, otherwise you won't get any help.

I want to separate dexedrine from the excipients present in the pill form so I can see if any of the side effects are caused by the excipients. Some of the excipients are water soluble so I think an acid base extraction is the way to go. The cleanest base I have is Na2CO3, I have NaOH but its not reagent grade or anything close so I don't want to risk contaminating the compound.

Note: I'm prescribed dexedrine for ADHD so I'm not taking about anything illegal here. I often get headaches and lethargic when the effects start coming on and I'd like to eliminate the possibility that these negative effects may be caused by the excipients rather than the active constituent.
flashmanc
Unregistered

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 15:52
Cool

Is cool to talk, but hot when you actually know when you're talking about...
Just as the other collegue answered us, please mention more details about the intent of the result.. If you actually want to experiment on something, do you have any desired result in mind or is intended to observe various reactions?

Go To Top