Printable Version  
Author: Subject: innocentive.com solve their key problems and earn money
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

shocked.gif posted on 25-7-2011 at 13:00
innocentive.com solve their key problems and earn money

https://www.innocentive.com/ar/challenge/browse
well i came across this site the title seems to be what it shows ear4n money by helping solve problems any one thoughts on this one then i read lik3e this one https://www.innocentive.com/ar/challenge/9932789
as it states. The Seeker desires a method for producing pseudoephedrine products in such a way that it will be extremely difficult for clandestine chemists to extract and use the pseudoephedrine in the production of the illegal drug methamphetamine. comments about this https://www.innocentive.com
Mixell
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 13:03

It has already been mentioned here a few month ago...
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 18:04

That particular challenge was already mentioned by Nicodem. There are other interesting chemistry-related challenges that get posted there as well, but they look like they are beyond the gear and skills of all but a handful of members here - all professional-level stuff.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 20:08

Honestly kind of pointless. Once pseudo becomes harder to extract then drug cooks will just find other ways. It's a futile war against drugs. The key here is regulation. If people over the age of 21 want to get high they should have the choice to do so. I'm not supporting drugs. But by the government regulating these substances you can tax it bringing our economy up and effectively put the cartels and other major drug powerhouses ou of business.

[Edited on 26-7-2011 by #maverick#]

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 03:43

Quote: Originally posted by #maverick#  
Honestly kind of pointless. Once pseudo becomes harder to extract then drug cooks will just find other ways. It's a futile war against drugs. The key here is regulation. If people over the age of 21 want to get high they should have the choice to do so. I'm not supporting drugs. But by the government regulating these substances you can tax it bringing our economy up and effectively put the cartels and other major drug powerhouses ou of business.

[Edited on 26-7-2011 by #maverick#]

I, personally, am for Souron's idea. Have the pharmaceutical companies (Who unleashed most of these compounds on the public decades ago) offer all currently illicit drugs for free to anyone who requests them. That will take all value out of the system. No more black market, no more enforcement, remove the 'forbidden fruit' draw, the real junkies can thin themselves out, etc, etc.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 04:43

Quote:
Once pseudo becomes harder to extract then drug cooks will just find other ways. It's a futile war against drugs.

Drug labs are remarkably good at finding ways of doing things that those with more equipment and chemicals might not think of, but I don't agree that it is a futile effort.

There are many examples were controlling a handful of precursors severely restricts the number of people who are capable of still yielding the product they want.

Giving adults whatever they want is like giving a gun to a child and then saying it's a good thing they've accidentally shot themselves or their friend because they were stupid to begin with. The general public has no interest in pharmacology. They just want something they can snap out of a packet to fix their stomach ache while they get on with their own job, rather than that of being a chemist.

Unlike the UK, where methamphetamine is a Class A drug, it is a Schedule 2 in the US, and the Schedule system actually makes a little more sense than the Class system. Methampetamine is in list 2 because it still has medicinal value in treating obesity and narcolepsy, but also a high potential for abuse and serious side effects. If it were entirely unrestricted, there'd be wave after wave of girls turning up in hospital as they tried to loose tens of lbs for the summer.

There is already a case in point example out there, Adderall. Society at large does not seem to realise those pills being given to kids are in fact amphetamine, the same thing the evil and insane drug addicts take. If they can't make that simple connection, they don't stand much chance with big bags of concentrated drugs.

Usually, if we see someone suffering, we try to help them. But, quite far from this, a lot of people seem to rule hard drug addicts out as simply expendable when they are really in need of significant help. They are still people, they are people who are killing themselves through upset, anger and addiction.

[Edited on 26-7-2011 by peach]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 06:09

The events in Norway may mean yet more bad news for hobby chemists: a well known small Polish supplier to the European hobby pyro & chem communities has been (temporarily) shut down (computers seized by police) for having supplied stuff to the main suspect Anders D*ckhead.

Further restrictions on the sale of certain things may well be in the pipeline on the Euro scene, in the wake of this imbecile’s horrific actions.
sternman318
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 06:43

Quote: Originally posted by peach  

There is already a case in point example out there, Adderall. Society at large does not seem to realise those pills being given to kids are in fact amphetamine, the same thing the evil and insane drug addicts take. If they can't make that simple connection, they don't stand much chance with big bags of concentrated drugs.

I know of a girl that went to my highschool who, with her mother's consent and encouragment, faked having ADHD inorder to be put on Adderol to lose weight ( she was a cheerleader, and she was hardly fat by any means).

[Edited on 26-7-2011 by sternman318]
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 08:20

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
The events in Norway may mean yet more bad news for hobby chemists[...]Further restrictions on the sale of certain things may well be in the pipeline on the Euro scene, in the wake of this imbecile’s horrific actions.

That was my first thought when I saw the news break. It may be a bit of a stretch but I wonder if, in my or my children's lifetime, it'll get to the point of reverting to alchemy days? By that, I mean a chemist must synthesize his/her own chemicals from common materials and stay under the radar. Witches......terrorists.....hobby chemists.....what's the difference? /sarcasm

Well, I suppose a lot of us already operate in such a way. We can still have much of our stuff shipped to us but not without the threat of being bastardized by LE.

Tank
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 09:13

Speaking of alchemy, it's well timed with Blogfast mentioning it in the phosphorus thread. That 30 plus page monster has been all for the want of one, fairly common, element. And it was discovered by someone searching for gold; alchemy.

It is getting pretty tricky, and will likely only get more so with this idiot in Norway.

It's already reached the point where in getting things like nitric and the common solvents is not all that simple, things which are the foundations of a lot of chemistry. Never mind anything remotely obscure.

But, the chances of anyone at home discovering something monumental are quite low, given the complexity of more modern chemistry outpacing the capacity of at home experiments. Dealing with parr bombs, HPLC, NMR, UV/VIS/IR spectroscopy, hydrogenation shakers, solvent drying to parts per million, x-ray crystallography, all things that most at homers never even bother with. And the one or two who do spend decades collecting the equipment and chemicals. Part of the fun of home chemistry, and learning a lot along the way, is in having to actually make the things I want to use, rather than absently mindedly pick them up off the shelf. Of coarse, actual researchers do have that challenge. Students, despite their access to so many chemicals and so much equipment, tend to be stuck picking up bottles and following the instructions. The need to make it ourselves is something students are not allowed to do, and they miss out on that practical experience.

There is a balance.

For instance, I've spent the last few weeks playing around with tens and tens of kilos of seaweed, to extract the iodine from it. I have iodine, I can buy more. Getting it from seaweed is purposeful self harm. If I couldn't buy iodine, the idea of trying to produce usable amounts from seaweed would mean I'd never do anything related to iodine ever again. There is a point where it becomes pointless. :P

[Edited on 26-7-2011 by peach]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by m1tanker78  
Well, I suppose a lot of us already operate in such a way. We can still have much of our stuff shipped to us but not without the threat of being bastardized by LE.

Tank

Yes we do. To be honest and on the upside, there are also materials that are now available to us of which most of us could only have dreamed about up to recently: take neodymium for instance. The widespread use of this metal in neomagnets means that anyone with a broken hard drive can now have access to this element, and basically free of charge...

But the sale of many staple oxidisers is likely to become more and more restricted.

Don't let the b*rstools grind you down! :)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 09:42

The story of Keten Chemicals (I've bought from him too):

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gqjAD5TsFr...
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 11:38

The drug war is futile. Once you cut off the head two more will grow back in it's place. And this is the viewpoint of a non drug user. Take Down one cartel another will come back with more fury

m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 12:08

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
Part of the fun of home chemistry, and learning a lot along the way, is in having to actually make the things I want to use, rather than absently mindedly pick them up off the shelf.

That's always been my angle on this hobby. If you don't invest some blood, sweat and tears then you probably shortchanged yourself regardless of the outcome of your project. There isn't anything wrong with buying chems but what will you do when some of those reagents are outlawed or heavily restricted?

I learned all I could about about the elements on the far left of the periodic table by making life a little more difficult for myself. ;) The 'baggage' that is inherent with these types of ventures is where a home chemist learns or exercises problem-solving skills, IMO.

Blogfast, since you mention it, oxidizers are already disappearing from the shelves around here. KNO3 has been completely removed - not even a spot for it. I wonder how long it'll be until the pool supply stores have to start keeping track of all their sales... :(

All of a sudden, old technology becomes the new craze.

Tank
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 19:15

Quote: Originally posted by #maverick#  
Once you cut off the head two more will grow back in it's place.

It will if you're on drugs at the time.

It does continually adapt, but there is only so much adapting to do before it runs up against the laws of science, which are not as flexible as those that society come up with.

Naturally occurring drugs, like cocaine, follow a pattern closer to what you're describing, as all they require are farmers and fields, which renders much of the effort against them down to pure force and physical suppression of the crops and trafficking.

#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 19:26

Yea eventually the laws of science will catch up. But a lot of other areas will suffer sadly. I definately see where your coming from peach. As I said before the key is regulation. Just like with ciggerates or medicinal MJ. This way you can effectively end the violence and evil shrouded around Drugs. This is my 2 cents

Go To Top