Printable Version  
Author: Subject: some important questions to answer
heksogen
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 20-3-2004 at 10:07
some important questions to answer

Hi there !

I decided to drop you a line because I am fourteen-year-old boy keen on chemistry. I ’m especially interested in making high explosive compounds. I am going to join your forum.

I’m scared of distilling H2SO4 + KNO3 mixture because of appearing NO2 (highly toxic gas), so I haven’ t got any concentrated nitric acid. Last time I have visited your site, someone mentioned the topic of making PETN with H2SO4 + KNO3 mixture. Could similiar composition, be used to make nitroglycerine or guncotton but with more H2SO4 ? I also have some Ca(NO3)2 ,so I probably try the method mentioned there a few months ago ( Ca(NO3)2 + H2SO4 = CaSO4↓ + HNO3 ) with a pumice as a filter. I think it is made from glass so it won’t react with concentrated nitric acid.
I have a lot of H2SO4 so this method is wonderful for me.

My second problem is that I want to make some MMAN . I haven’t got any methylamine available, but in an old experiment book I found a reaction of formaldehyde with any amonium salt to form a salt of methylamine. Could I make methylamine nitrate simply, just by boiling a 37% solution of formaldehyde with amonium nitrate ?

The third thing I’ d like to know is with which oxidant is it better to mix TATP (triacetone triperoxide)? I use it in blasting caps, but it has to be 3/8 call or up in diameter. When it is not compressed to a 3/8 or up pipe its detonation is very often not complete. What can I do with this problem?

At least I’ ve got an idea of non conventional method of making EGDN or ethylene glycol dinitrate. In my opinion, when etin is dissolved in less concentrated nitric acid, reaction like this should look like :

C2H2 + 2HNO3 = C2H4(ONO2)2
Does it work?

Best wishes:

HEKSOGEN

:D:D
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 11:29

You have more sense than I did at 14.

NO2 is very toxic, yes. Unfortunatly, if you dont find a way to handle gases like this safely you will go nowhere in chemistry. NO2 can be produced very rapidly during a failed nitration and in amounts much much larger than you would see normally during making nitric acid.

Make small amounts, when the major accident comes, and eventually it will, hopefully it will be small.

Ethene and nitric acid tends to give partially nitrated products, possibly with nitro compounds too. Electrolytic nitration with ethene produces a mess of the dinitrate, nitro-nitrate and dinitro.

IMHO, TATP is far too unstable chemically and physically to make blasting caps out of. The whole point after all is to minimise the risk, you have a large amount of a secondary which on its own is virtually safe, and a small amount of a reliable initiator that constitutes the cap. If the cap cannot be relied upon it undermines the safety of the whole process.

Its tempting to make something simply because you can, ie its easy. This is something you will either grow out of or lose body parts to.
Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 11:57

Welcome to the forum! I am 14 as well but I am only making things like copper carbonate and other less energetic compounds untill I have a lot more experiance. If you have never made any HEs before you might want to make some thermite before jumping in. There is a whole thread around here about them. Read the thread about ventalation or do your nitrations outside away from people. Building a water trap will help contain any NO<sub>2</sub> fumes.

Good Luck!

What if, what is isn\'t true?
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 13:32

Heksogen, Once you feel grounded in chemistry alittle and you understand and most of all respect explosives, using the sulfuric acid/KNO3 method for making both NG and NC are very simple. And the end result is the most fun:D Have Fun!

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
Sir Dudalot
Harmless

Mood: caged

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 20:03

Ah, I love someone who's hungry for knowledge. I've done many test involving AP and different diameters and I've found that it detonates consistently (every time I tried) and completely every time I used it in a straw as a form of det cord. I've used lengths up to a foot and had complete detonation. I'm not real sure on the diameter of the straws but I'd say they're about an 1/8 in. (1.5mm). It's stupid to ask but I'm assuming you pressed your AP into the 3/8 in. container. When I say pressed I don't neccesarily (sp?) mean thoroughly, I just gently press my AP seeing as it's so sensitive.

As for XNO3/H2SO4 nitrations just visit a few members sites and you'll get an idea of it. They're really simple and most of the time you'll get pretty good yields (at least decent unless you screw something up).

<a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/dudalot\">Videos and a few procedures.</a>
\"Dirt is too valuable to just throw away.\" -my dad, and he was serious.
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 20-3-2004 at 21:37

I once made 3 feet of detcord using clear rubber tubing about half inch in diameter. Be very careful, no better yet dont make det cord with AP ever again. I've heard bad things about it because the AP molecules rub on eachother with alot of pressure every time you bend or flew the cord. My det cord also completely detonated but wasnt as powerful as NG based det.cord. If you must make det.cord with AP, do not press it at all. pressing will stress it more. Only press when it is in a rigid container(PVC, cardboard, etc.)

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
heksogen
Harmless

cool.gif posted on 21-3-2004 at 02:28

Hi ! ;-)

I have made a detonating cord once. I used a drink-straw filled with compressed TATP. The primer was a 50/50 mixture of potassium chlorate with sugar. I placed it on the concrete and lit the black powder fuse. A few seconds later I heard a loud explosion, but half of the staw was undetonated. Maybe the TATP wasn’t enaugh dry. Sometimes I mixed it with potassium chlorate and I haven’t got any problems. Once I made a shaped charge from about 25!!! grams of it and blow it on a 5 mm duraluminnium sheet. The result was amazing. The sheet that was about 12*12cm and it teared to several pieces. The noice was like a silent clap of hands! Perhaps I would borrow a digital camera from my friend so I would make some photograps of the pieces.
One more note about TATP : the acetone peroxide I use to make is very stable! Why? After adding the sulphuric acid I put it into a refrigerator for about 24 hours. Next I filter it through a coffee filter paper and wash the crystals with sodium carbonate solution several times . Then I give it a final wash of clear water and let it dry.
Lastly, could you give me some knowledge about making , handling etc. of concentrated nitric acid ?
:P
heksogen
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-3-2004 at 02:45

Hi

Would you give me some adresses of HE sites of the members of this forum? :o
Iv4
Hazard to Others

smile.gif posted on 21-3-2004 at 03:46
16 here

I think Nick F had a site callled flashbang boom or something like that.

Go with ammonium nitrate for the AP.equal amounts(by weight)are nearly the same as straight AP while at 20/80 or 10/90 it needs about a gram of straight AP to go of.
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 21-3-2004 at 06:21
Hope I can help

http://www.flashbangboom.homestead.com/procedures.html
http://kangaroooo.cjb.net/
http://krimzonpyro.com/ep/
http://www.powerlabs.org/
http://roguesci.org/megalomania/
You can learn how to build anything with the help of thses sites. My thanks goes out to any of the individuals that have created these wonderful sites.

rocketscience
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 09:38
13 here

http://www.totse.com is a good site for high explosives mixtures it even shows how you can make hmx & rdx
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 10:09

TOTSE is one of those standard anarchist sites—the type that says water is an HE. If yo want <i>real</i> information on HEs and related things, this is where you belong.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 26-11-2004 at 09:14

Totse is crap. The fact that you mention this site shows you have no real understanding of HE's or LE's whatsoever.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top