Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: ADD-pi ADHD Discuss
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 19:12

Quote: Originally posted by Neil  
The DSM is the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders"

The intention of the guide is to set down series of related symptoms/signs which when present in greater then a specified number provide a diagnosis key.

Have you read the book? By your logic mental illness is a figment of er.. everyone else's imagination.

The basis of the DSM is that everyone has some bits of everything, it's only when you got clods of something that it goes to work for you.

Yeah I bet taking a lot of stimulants combined with abusing your body would make anyone a zombie over time, which is absolutely the opposite of proper medication and totally unrelated to an individual undergoing drug therapy.

By and large Methylphenidate is not known for making people into mental zombies, look up academic doping, or the description Mr. Crow gave.

Four more years ago then seventy years ago people where being prescribed stimulants to treat what would eventually become ADHD. So why in twenty more years would you expect a sudden onslaught of maladies? Evidence? papers which support your charges?

Here are the brass balls of the matter; I know many young adults, adults and elders who have ADHD with certified diagnosis.

I've talked to, taught, worked with and been in relationships with people who had it. I've seen people make U turns out of life when they where given a diagnosis and a set of coping strategies and I've seen people ride their lives into the ground in spite of it.

A commonality is that they are often and frequently hurt by the negative attention their diagnosis receives.

So I'll tell you what, why don't you read through those forums. See what people who are living with it say and try to convince them it is not real. While your at it you may want to look up psychiatry, psychology, symptoms, CNS and psyche.

As for throwing around the word "bull shit" I would suggest you look up "An inquiry into the nature and origin of mental derangement: comprehending a concise system of the physiology and pathology of the human mind and a history of the passions and their effects "(1798) Alexander Crichton.

As it is you are doing nothing but sharing your personal paranoia, complete with winks and attempts at acerbic condescension, which is a pity because it degrades the informational value of a forum which has rigorously prided its self on being factual.

OMG PWNT!!

Thank-you neil for spending the time compiling these fundamental points.

I general discussions concerning mental illnesses, disordering learning difficult and the like frustrating for the reasons you mention. However i have found generally most people are very open to being informed, and the conversations can become fruitful if the direct manner you adopted is taken.
If people could, however, not form strong opinions until they are well informed and if they choose not to inform themselves at least say 'i don't know enough yet' that would be far more ideal.

ironically people have short attention spans for complex considerations that appear to not directly pertain to themselves and as such its far easier get a quantitative understanding of things out than a qualitative. This means that depression, adhd etc etc, which as yet are currently difficult/impossible to assess quantitatively can more easily be dismissed by people.

The clinical diagnosis of depression for instance in no way describes what life is like for someone with depression. The clinical diagnosis for say a lung disease, expressed as a measured 35% depressed ability to breath, does in some way describe what its like to have the illness.

We know far too little about the brain yet to bring disorder diagnosis on par with that of 'physical illness' diagnosis.

My long term partner has had a lifelong disorder only recently observed, understood and hence diagnosed. I am the only one who has really been able to see how insidious a disorder it is because it masks itself so well. It was only first described in 1992, so growing up in the 80's it dominated her and yet remained invisible to two very loving intelligent parents, one being a surgeon.

People need to be more compassionate, however we are weary of being compassionate because this can be exploited. I say constantly public policy needs to accept exploitation of policy and top designing ;policy that can't be exploited but makes it more difficult or impossible to access. in the west we are rich enough to afford this.

jayjay
Harmless

Mood: Wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 15:03

Quote: Originally posted by MeSynth  
Where is the love? Shouldn't people who suffer from ADD/ADHD should have drugs that act on single areas of the brain by now?

Better meds? With this over-reaching government, those of us with ADHD :o are lucky to have any medication at all!

Adderall Shortages

I wouldn't doubt that pharmaceutical research is being hindered right along with amateur chemists.

[Edited on 12-6-2011 by jayjay]
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 20:14

ADHD does exist, I always thought it to be bullshit until they placed me on an SSRI, after that I have almost no learning capacity at all. I can read a paragraph yet by the time I'm finished I remember none of it. Everytime I want to start a synthesis I must teach myself chemistry all over again and it is a nightmare.

I was diagnosed as a kid, the meds do not zombify, that is some sick myth that I wish would die.

However if not for amphetamines I would be 100% unable to hold a job or a conversation for that matter so bitch all you want about it(I dont care much for pharm industry practices either) but this drug is the first one they have gotten right in about 50 years.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
jayjay
Harmless

Mood: Wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 08:17

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
...they placed me on an SSRI, after that I have almost no learning capacity at all.

So you are saying the depression treatment, and not the depression itself hindered your learning? (assuming the ssris were given for depression) That's interesting.

the meds do not zombify, that is some sick myth that I wish would die.

Well, I think it depends on the child. Methylphenidate seems to work for some people but it makes me want to crawl up under a rock and die. If I was forced to take that as a child, it would've been cruel. On the other hand, Adderall works wonders for me. Its what NZT was to Eddie in the movie Limitless.

...if not for amphetamines I would be 100% unable to hold a job or a conversation for that matter...

Yeah, I've got ADHD so bad I could make coffee nervous. In my line of work, that could make a lot of people miserable. I'm just thankful there's something out there that can make me more productive & ultimately smarter than I would have been.

Eccl 1:12-13
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 15:01

I never felt depression until I was placed on SSRIs. After the antidepressant I could have killed myself or someone else without thinking twice. It was prescribed for anxiety disorders which benzodiazapines worked wounder. Prior to this I could with ease read hundreds of pages in a book a day now I can no longer remember and follow a paragraph. Adderall works wonders for this where as prior to taking Lexapro it would just make me to off the wall to accomplish anything.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2011 at 07:53

From here by Rick Green

T’was The Night Before… an ADHD Christmas

T'was the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was on time, not even my spouse.

The stockings were half up, the gifts were half wrapped,

Cause the scissors and tape were buried 'neath crap.

The children were glued to their laptops, by God,

While visions of new apps danced on I Pods.

And mamma in her kerchief, and still in pajamas

Had just settled her brain, which was going bananas.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clutter

Of lawn chairs, car parts and my rusting grass cutter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore my shin on an old box, and made a deep gash.

The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow

Made me think of a cow, then an old TV show.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear?

But the memory of shoes I had misplaced last year!

Also where I'd left that new wooden broomstick.

Oh, and look, there are cows! Oh, and there's old Saint Nick!

More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,

And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

Now Dasher, and Dancer, now watcha-ma-callit?

On Comet! On Cupid! Oops, forgot my wallet!

To the top of the porch, to the top of the wall,

But he rushed without checking, and took a great fall!

As my thoughts that before a wild hurricane fly,

I should do my taxes, or at least I should try.

Did you see that movie? Oh, what was I saying?

Oh, right St Nick and his reindeer were sleighing!

And then in a twinkling, I heard on the roof

Some tools I'd left there, being kicked by a hoof.

As I drew in my head, thoughts came in a bunch!

So I missed Santa land, I was so out to lunch!

He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot,

And his clothes were tarnished with ashes and soot.

The bundle of toys he had flung on his shoulder,

Looked quite a mess, like my bills in file folders.

His eyes-how they twinkled! His dimples how merry!

Like that guy that I knew. What's his name? Bob? Or Larry?

Santa's droll mouth was drawn up like a bow,

Which reminded me once more of that TV show.

The wreath of smoke from his pipe made him blink,

But he explained that nicotine helped him to think.

In his hand was a coffee, and a second one waiting,

And a joint and vodka. It's called self-medicating.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old chap.

And we laughed when he tripped on a pile of crap.

He told me, "I have A.D.H.D. in my head."

I said, "Me too, Santa! It's nothing to dread!"

He spoke not a word, for a second or less,

Then nattered non-stop, piling gifts on our mess.

And checking the pockets of all of his clothes,

And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,

And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.

But I heard him exclaim, as he soared on the breeze,

"Happy Christmas to all! Oh darn, where are my keys?!"

By Rick Green

TotallyADD.com

With apologies to Clement Clarke Moore

PDF available here http://totallyadd.com/wp-content/uploads/NightBeforeADHDChri...
franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 00:04

Before there was Ritalin

http://images.hypertomb.com/000/177/011/desktop-1428719861.j...

Before there was Google Glasses

http://images.hypertomb.com/000/177/043/desktop-1428724444.j...

B.C. ( Before Computers ) there were computers , except they weren't electronic.

http://images.hypertomb.com/000/177/114/desktop-1431359515.j...

What was the question again ?

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 10:06

What ever they call "it", the issues I face are real.

I was never hyperactive physically, but mentally I was all over the place going from one thing to next, and never long enough on one subject to make a difference.

I was diagnosed when I was really little. I do think that cognitive behavioral therapy could have worked wonders for me, especially with helping me to organize my world a little better. I finally got into a program after being on a wait-list for two years, which then didn't happen because I ended up moving.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 11:18

I know of a DOG that was prescribed Ritilan. For biting the UPS guy twice.

Now I completely understand that the brain, and physiology of a dog are Exactly the same as a human so the drug would of course give predictable results.
I'm not exactly sure which of the above two statements are incorrect but I will get back to that in a moment.

The dog was a German Shepard. He lived on the ground floor of a three story apartment complex in Danbury Ct with his owner, and her two daughters. He was well behaved, fun loving, and great with all the neighbors. He just HATED the UPS guy.
First bite was when the fella reached down to pet the dog. Nice puncture wounds, and a trip to the hospital. Sheriff came to verify the dog had shots, and a Lisc.. End of issue.

Three or so months later... Knock-Knock! Who's there? UPS! Ok, One of you girls hold Scruffy so I can get the door... Hi! Whoooooosh! Second , and third bites...

More hospital, more cops, more crap.

Seven day quarantine for Scruffy, Two weeks leave for Mr. Brown suit, and a subpoena!

Now get this... Scruffiys LAWYER suggests getting Scruffy put on Ritilan! The Lawyer!
Off to the vet, lickity split... YEAY!!!! We have Ritilan!!!!!!

Two weeks of madness. Try walking a Shepard dog that's on people drugs. Not fun. I promise. Scruffy is taken off the meds, and returns to normal.

2 months later... First appearance in court. Judge want to see Scruffy. Continued for one week.

Scruffies lawyer suggests putting Scruffy back on the meds... YeaY More Meds!!!!

cut scene/one week later... Enter the courthouse court yard. Guess who is sitting and waiting to go into court? Scruffies chew toy. Mr. Brown suit!
Guess who sees Mr. Brown suit? Not Jesus... Scruffy!

This was the WORST first person dog attack I have ever seen. I've had a section of my fore arm removed by a dog, had my wrist broken by a dog, seen a friend mauled by three dogs, and this was the worst!

Scruffy was hell bent to kill the guy. One cop tazed the dog until he could get to his pistol, and shot Scruffy dead. Right there in the court yard, in front of all those that could bear to stay.

Ambulance for brown suit, doctors for the kids, cops had ME on the ground (I wanted the cop), Lawyer was in w/ the judge, and 50 more cops, a crap load of fire trucks, ambulance, Chanel 8 news, Union reps for UPS aka Teamsters.

Scruffies owner, a single mom of two was eventually ordered to pay 35,000.00 in medical bills, 50,000.00 in lost wages, pain, and suffering, court costs, and legal fees for the UPS driver...

This was 14 years ago. She is STILL paying. She is the grade schools lunch lady, and works evenings st the grocery store in the Deli Dept.

ALL of this because a LAWYER suggested medicating the dog, and the Vet. agreed to do so.

Now since I already stated that a dog, and a human are EXACTLY the same... what I am trying to tell you is keep your medicated kids away from the UPS guys.

On a more serious note. The next person that compares a medicated person to a zombie is in for a law suit. I hope you realize that Jessie Jackson has nothing better to do.

Science!

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top