Author: Subject: Extracting Potassium Carbonate
boonga
Harmless

Mood: Hygroscopic

shocked.gif posted on 11-8-2011 at 22:55
Extracting Potassium Carbonate

Hey guys,

after the following reaction has occurred:

Na2CO3(aq) + K2SO4(aq) ---> Na2S04(aq) + K2C03(aq)

what is the easiest method to extract the potassium carbonate (K2C03) as a powder form? Using simple lab equipment and basic chemicals, seeing as I'm a very amateur chemist.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Boonga :)
Retard-3000
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 01:49

Fractional Crystallization will work, the solubility of sodium sulphate is 4.7g/100ml at 0C whereas potassium carbonates solubility is 112g/100ml at 20C.
boonga
Harmless

Mood: Hygroscopic

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 02:03

"If a mixture of two or more substances in solution is allowed to crystallize, for example by allowing the temperature of the solution to decrease, the precipitate will contain more of the least soluble substance." The sodium sulfate will crystallize out of solution but some will remain in solution as impurity? is it possible to crystallize it all out without loosing too much potassium carbonate at the same time(as it will crystallize as temperature decreases as well?

Correct me if i'm wrong, still learning :)

Cheers,

boonga
Retard-3000
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 05:43

You're correct, some will still remain in solution but will be possible to remove by doing another crystallization. You will end up losing a small amount of potassium carbonate if you want it to be quite pure.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 06:47

Potassium and sodium sulfate form double salts, e.g. K<sub>3</sub>Na(SO4)<sub>2</sub>. Depends on concentrations of the ions and such. But I am skeptical that fractional crystallization will work here. Also, the reaction that is initially posited does not really occur; what you have is a bunch of anions and cations in solution. The solid compounds do not exist until something drives them out of solution. And as far as I know the first thing that will drop out at low temperatures is the aforementioned double salt.

[Edited on 12-8-2011 by bbartlog]

[Edited on 12-8-2011 by bbartlog]
Otter
Harmless

Mood: Pensieve

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 19:40

Are there ANY "easy" ways to separate the sodium and potassium salts of one given acid? I.E. separate sodium carbonate from potassium carbonate?

*Otter sniffs the puddle.*
*Licks a tiny bit of it up.*
*Pukes out dinner.*
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 19:53

All depends on the anion. In some cases the Na and K salts have significantly differing solubilities, and don't readily form mixed salts. In a few cases the solubilities in some non-aqueous solvent are significantly different.

But Na and K aren't that different, so in many cases it takes multiple recrystallisations to do the job. Using ion exchange resins might be easier - saturate the resin using KCl, then run Na2CO3 solution through it with there being a large excess of the potassium charged resin' finish off with recrystallisation.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 21:48

Just adding a little bit of sand in n_i's help:

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
All depends on the anion. In some cases the Na and K salts have significantly differing solubilities, and don't readily form mixed salts.

i.e.
NaNO3 + KCl ----> NaCl + KNO3

Many amateur pyrotechnicians use this reaction to produce KNO3, and it works because KNO3 has extremely differing solubilities in hot and cold water and NaCl solubility is almost constant in hot and cold water.

ps: Depending on how much you have, maybe will be easier to you react your K2SO4 with Ca(OH)2, get KOH and react with CO2 to get your K2CO3..

K2SO4 + Ca(OH)2 ---> 2KOH + CaSO4(s)
2 KOH + CO2 --> K2CO3 + H2O
excess CO2 will make KHCO3, but I dont know if this is stable like NaHCO3 (which isnt much anyway).

[Edited on 13-8-2011 by Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2011 at 05:51

The question was " separate the sodium and potassium salts of one]/b] given acid?" so the KCl+NaNO3 example is not a proper fit.

CaSO4 and its hydrates have solubilities of a couple of grams per liter of water, so a bit of them will end up in the KOH. Upon adding CO2 you'll get CaCO3 with a much lower solubility and precipitate out, if you don't overdo the CO2 and boil the resulting solution to decompose any calcium bicarbonate.

KHCO3 is reasonably stable, it is the basis of "purple K" used in dry powder fire extinguishers, breaking down at temperatures above 100 C into K2CO3, CO2, and H2O.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 13-8-2011 at 19:57

Thanks for correcting me.. Not payed too much attention to this little detail. It just instantly appeared first on my mind, because was one reaction that deals with K-Na exchange and also is very familiar to me.. So I posted it..

So one correct example would be NaCl and KCl found in "Na light" salt. Solubilities are (from wiki):

NaCl: 35.6 g (0 °C)/ 39.1 g (100 °C) (per 100mL pure water)
KCl: 28.1 g (0 °C)/ 56.7 g (100 °C) (per 100mL pure water)

Bacause of both having Cl- ions, the solubilites of these two salts would be quite different (will be much less) from the listed ones.. So in a very concentrated hot solution of NaCl and KCl, NaCl is much more prone to ppt out first.. But I dont know in fact since I dont tried this.. Purifying KCl out of agricultural grade KCl is much easier and cheaper..

Ah, thanks to correct me in steps in reactions too. Dont knew KHCO3 being used on fire extinguishers.
Other day I was tempted to try solvay synthesis with KCl to obtain KHCO3 but I just realised that KHCO3/KCl solubilies are similair.. And separating the two would be messy..

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."

Go To Top