Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  44
Author: Subject: Exploitation of the global economy, the coming collapse
ScienceSquirrel
Super Moderator

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 16-3-2012 at 18:37

Life on earth has been around for about 4 billion years.
Ayn Rand's philosophy has been around for less than a hundred years.
Will it survive a thousand years? I doubt it.
My money is on my grandson riding a bicycle, there will be no easy fossil fuel left.
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2012 at 19:56

Happy St. Pat's day (and cheer up FFS).

[file]17999[/file]

[Edited on 17-3-2012 by dann2]

hspd.jpg - 44kB
Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 16-3-2012 at 21:40

Quote: Originally posted by EatsKewls  
Dear God, that Bill Maher report video of Mississippi really speaks to what myself and few other mentioned here. Pure retardation, not surprisingly coupled with strong belief in Jesus. I also brushed my teeth for 10 minutes after seeing that guy's teeth.

You are making a correlation between poverty and religion as if the two were connected as cause and effect and that isn't true. There was a reference to the "bible belt" made in answer to a question about the popularity of conservatism and you took that answer and filled in the blanks making connections otherwise which really don't apply. There are a lot of rich liberals and conservatives alike which also live in the "bible belt" or in other regions where there is absolutely zero nexus between geography, religion, and affluence. The most interesting thing to me about that piece is that those poor people aren't selling their souls so cheaply as some do no matter where they live or what they can afford. Obviously they can't pay tens of thousands of dollars to dentists to maintain a photogenic smile. Does obamacare have a dental plan which is being rejected and is that the point? I truly doubt it that would be the case on either score. So what purpose is then found for such "journalism", that such people should be rounded up and put into reeducation gulags.....er uh I mean FEMA camps?
Quote:

As a side note, not to disturb or insult Rosco, but religion isn't 100% tied to intelligence. It has a sometimes to do with environment. If it was tied 100% to intelligence, Rosco would be a hardcore atheist.

Precisely, but it may have something to do with both environment and intuition. Making farcical the same incorrect correlation, Ayn Rand could have been made Pope by popular accolade, and beatified by now. Faith isn't equal to or excluded by intelligence and if there was a litmus test for that then Pascal's wager would be it. So there is no exclusive or essentially inclusive correlation at all between faith and reason which is precisely one of the areas where Rand's "rationalism" fails for "incompleteness" ...yet it is honest about it's not being more than the humanist philosophy that it is, which has a moral rationality that attempts to be conscientious so far as it is able ......it just isn't able to go very far in that direction. Rand would say make an honest buck and keep 99.5% of it for yourself and grudgingly part with a half penny to the state unless you could jew them down. Not meaning to be blunt ....but that is how Rand operates.....putting self-esteem as lifes most heroic purpose...which is excessive. But the rationalism for the Rand argument is impeccable, so intellectual honesty requires acknowledging that much about Rand as is brilliant, but unashamedly stingy and self indulgent as if that was the ultimate virtue. To find the real world one has to use Rand as an extreme limit "mile marker" and dial back to reality from there ....to a "rational" balance between individualism and altruism, with the most desirable balance point most heavily weighted in the favor of individualism. So the various socioeconomic systems can then be seen as a proportionality of individualism with altruism....for dwellers in the real world where there is no absolute, it is only the proportional mix that is different. In that regards Rand would be the antithesis of a Mother Theresa, with "normal human beings" being found somewhere along a line between the two extremes, the most altruistic and self-sacrificing saint for the one and the most devoutly selfish at the other end of the scale between extremes.

Here is some video that is interesting insight into Rand in her older years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4doTzCs9lEc Tom Snyder interviews Ayn Rand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ex-rVkOFHU part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFy9A7WEzPA part 3

And here is a much younger Rand interview from 1959
done by Mike Wallace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ooKsv_SX4Y Mike Wallace interviews Ayan Rand 1959

Phil Donahue also did a long interview.

Ayn Rand must have had some intriguing ideas or else her books would not have sold in excess of 25 million copies and even today sell at an enormous distribution level . She is nothing else if not thought provoking as an analyst and philosopher, and in a real sense she is a sort of collectivism "cult deprogrammer" or counter-cult sort of philosopher

The closest thing parallel to Rand which might be a familiar character parallel in popular science fiction would be the Star Trek character Spock the Vulcan or other Vulcans. It would be my guess that Gene Roddenberry had definitely read Ayan Rand.

Quote:

Those people in the video are religious because they are quite dumb and lived in generations of religious communities.
Perhaps that is true and some of them may not even be literate, yet would rather work all day to earn their keep than to have charity so what exactly is the point?
Quote:
That video does clearly demonstrate why faith and Christianity is very bad for this country.
No that video is simply another tasteless piece of yellow journalism and pseudointellectual atheist commentary like is typical for the likes of Bill Maher. It was meant to ridicule conservatism and individualism by showing some pathetic examples. And there was added commentary that people in Atlanta are not like those poor in Mississippi which is quite true, but then the people of Atlanta were also characterized as cosmopolitan progressives having more favorable views about collectivism...which is simply false. There would necessarily be some of that "collectivism" more necessary simply due to the constraints of living which are imposed by living in any metropolitan area, a "hive" environment as contrasted with more isolated living in a rural area, and that would apply anywhere geographically without regards to north or south or conservative or liberal in the bible belt or not.
Quote:
Those people thoughtlessly vote for liars who put on the mask of faith.
Yeah "those people" are not the regular Einsteins who voted for a promiser and broker for "hope and change" and instead elected a tiger woods wannabee to maybe once in awhile come in from the golf course and make a public appearance and talk smack to people about green energy jobs and alternative energy for a country that has seen absolutely nothing, zero, nada, zip as in zero to actually materialize as performance to represent any making good on all that "magic" and lofty intellectual "stuff" which they are just too backwards to understand. Who exactly are the more thoughtless or witless might be a more legitimate observation. It is not comparing apples and oranges to compare one group of halfwits beside another group of halfwits except to say the group having more stimulus money to spend on dental care have better teeth and seem to be all smiles.

[Edited on 17-3-2012 by Rosco Bodine]
EatsKewls
holmes1880 (banned)

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 00:18

I know you're an older gentleman, but you ought to try a new perspective now and then (regarding faith mostly). I mean there is no denial that religion plays role in these elections and very stupid Christian people base their vote on who is the "best" Christian and not who is good for the country and has a thinking brain(unlike Sarah Barracuda- Game Change movie was excellent, btw).

Don't hate Obama because he couldn't fix what has been screwed up by Bush in 8 years prior and partly by Clinton. If you think any Republican that is running for office now would do any better you'll be just as sorry. What exactly would Mitt Romney do any different? If anything, he'd cave in and we'd be in Iran by now. At least Obama is cautious about wars. At least he has some good "idealistic" principles about "green energy". It's a good thing. You might not care cause you won't live to see the pollution 40 years from now, but I might be still around and so will a lot of other people.

I do disagree about bailing out the financial institutions, however. Obama has disappointed with that.
International Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 01:15

You're both somewhat right about Obama. Predictably, those who never liked him are quick to blame literally every problem on him. Objectively, he did enter the situation with massive problems already, so no matter what he did lots of people will hate him. I agree, you have to give him credit for at least trying to adress the energy issue, even if it was misguided. On the other hand, there are surely many situations that could have been handled far far better, such as the economic situation, etc. Would we be better off if McCain won? Who knows, but I'm pretty sure things would be quite bad now regardless of the president's actions. Is he better than Romney? Who knows... Will it make much difference in a few years? Doubtful. In this case I think it would be safe to say that neither will end up solving much, so I don't think it really matters. It is more of a grand distraction than anything else.

Over the course of this thread I've come to realize that worrying about the election is a complete waste of time and energy. The whole thing is too far gone to be helped at this point.

A word to the wise: NEUROFEEDBACK

http://citizenworks.org/corp/dg/s2r1.pdf
http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/mg21228354.500-re...
http://www.shadowstats.com/article/no-414-hyperinflation-spe...

"To expose a 15 Trillion dollar ripoff of the American people by the stockholders of the 1000 largest corporations over the last 100 years will be a tall order of business."
Buckminster Fuller

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."
Albert Einstein
Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 02:38

@EatsKewls What you believe is idealistic, visionary, progressive energy policy hasn't actually produced anything, absolutely nothing in the way of energy solutions, but has provenly and observably contributed to worsening a financial disaster in your own country. There has not been achieved any abatement whatsoever of what you think is an impending global environmental and economic doom. However, a perhaps unintended or unforeseen direct consequence will be to assure a more serious regional, national problem if the same unwise policies are continued, while pretending regional, national policies are going to somehow, by some miracle be offsetting planetary scale effects and somehow be effectively interventional in the global scheme. There is no international "collective" sacrifice being made by worse actors in terms of pollution, as would be prerequisite for the intervention to have any planetary scale effect. So you are living in a land of make believe rather than being practical. I have children and grandchildren. You talk to me like I have no skin in the game, but it sounds like something as irrational as the rest.

[Edited on 17-3-2012 by Rosco Bodine]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 06:54

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
Oh I see so factual persuasive argument which is counter to your agenda is propaganda.
Paranoia and persecution complex.
So no it isn't an opinion.
Self-delusion.

However tiresome I thought you before, at least I didn't think you were self-deceptive as to what you were doing. I was wrong, and I shall now repent of my error by avoiding you entirely.
Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 10:43

Psychoanalysis is not going fly as a rebuttal of technically plausible and practical solutions offered as being rational proposals for a problem. I am encountering a reality that an inverse and counterintelligence aspect is what is by design the strategy in opposition to rational proposals. Reduced to simplest terms it is not the persons who are proposing valid solutions who are liars and frauds or who are delusional. It is those dishonest persons who are the obstacle to problems being solved, by their mischaracterizing what is the problem in the first place, and by their offering what are not even valid solutions for the "straw man" mischaracterization of the problem, while at no stretch are they offering plausible solutions for the actual and real problem either. The simple minded get lost in the complexity of the dual deception, but they are like the groupies at the pep rally of their charismatic "hope and change" leader who could propose anything whatever to the hypnotized and the convinced would then advocate the same mindlessness as being insightful and inspired genius of the illustrious leader of the mindless cult. Confronted by such a scene can logic or rationality be like the light from Diogenes lamp, illuminating for distinction the face of any honest rational man to be found, either by darkest night or in the brightest noonday sun? Psychoanalyze that.
EatsKewls
holmes1880 (banned)

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 10:46

I don't like that Obama got elected by suckers and racist blacks (aka most blacks). That sucks. I supported Hillary over Obama, hoping that Bill is going to have his good share on influence. With that said, the alternative of McCain/Palin was horrible. Now, there is a different scenario. Mitt Romney has good surface record of turning around failing organizations (Bain and Olympic Games), but he is a flip flopper. Not a true conservative. He raised property taxes, but cut higher education spending. Then he signed the mandated healthcare reform. He is easily swayed. I have no idea of his energy plan, but how are we to believe that he isn't going to pull a 180 there and in any other area.

Mitt's main electability point is that everyone is hoping he'll pull a 180 on one issue or the other. Regardless, he isn't going to make the difference. Unless he caves in and decides to start a war with Iran. Hello 20 trillion deficit!
EatsKewls
holmes1880 (banned)

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 11:00

I really have no faith in Republicans. Both Reagan and Bush put country in deficit, and Bush has really hurt the personal freedoms with the Patriot Act that affects everyone here.

With that said, Obama is a sellout for signing extension to the Patriot Act. Homeland security is such a load of BS. They're step behind everyone who attempted a bombing/attack. With that said, I don't see Mitt Romney pioneering the personal liberty and freedoms. Yeah, not happening.
Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 11:23

Really what is needed is for a third party to offer something and for awhile I thought the Tea Party might do that but it is late in the game and they haven't delivered. Allen West was a possibility ....I thought a better possibility was there than Cain and I thought maybe the Dems may drag somebody out of retirement like Nunn who though liberal was more populist and middle road ....but no the Dems are stuck on the far left stuff and the wrong idea it is their base.....or I don't know maybe it is the right idea and all the old school democrats have died off in old age or senility. The real problem with Obama is he is no businessman but is an ideologue and with the economic aspects being more priority than the AGW issue or any other social isssue ...a businessman with nuts and bolts practicality about business is what is required. So will somebody who can balance a checkbook please step forward. Clinton could at least do that much to his credit, even though he set loose the "community redevelopment" monster to come calling in the future as the double whammy on the heels of Bin Laden, both being foreseeable huge problems. Planners have to anticipate this sort of stuff and not sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't matter, like the bill won't come due later for stupidity on their own watch. It is the economics of it that is disasterous later, as a sure bet even with the security implications otherwise which may involve life and limb directly or environmental issues as a more abstract concern. Struggling people aren't worried about their shoeshine on some environmentalist stroll whistling oh what a beautiful morning along the green ameritopian boulevard where trees overhang the sidewalks and songbirds are singing....they are simply trying to keep on their lights and keep a roof overhead. So it's the economy stupid....as they say so eloquently is the real issue and energy costs is what is killing the economy....that's not even a debate and everybody knows it.

For an example of a straight talker telling it like it is versus the PC language of telling it like it isn't ....here is an example of exactly the sort of thing I am talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ooKsv_SX4Y Colonel Allen West Answers a Marine's Question

The question of Muslim terror was never so succinctly answered as here by Allen West. (Courtesy of The Hudson Institute's Reclaim American Liberty Conference).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgZppLvjvaE Allen West speaks at CPAC February 19, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lw2TLG8iOY Allen West radio interview July 17, 2011

This is the kind of "cutting through all the bullcrap" straight talk that is needed as a general and truthful approach honestly describing what real problems honestly truly are, and then what is the solution for the problem can be honestly addressed also. This is real grownup kind of stuff and the way rational adults should address serious business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIcwS6pyfI C Span Rep West hosts Conservative Black Forum at the Capitol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&... Allen West - "The Republicans' Proud History of Standing Up for African-Americans"part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8rJxQ7aRI Allen West - "The Republicans' Proud History of Standing Up for African-Americans"part 2

A black Ronald Reagan ? :D Maybe a brokered convention and a drafted candidate named Allen West offered by the Tea Party wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen this September......just a thought

[Edited on 18-3-2012 by Rosco Bodine]
EatsKewls
holmes1880 (banned)

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 18:57

I don't think you should give up on good things like clean air and beautiful trees and nice parks and focus on "survival". This isn't freaking India where they crap where they eat and work. I mean, in Mississippi it may be crappy, but that's through a virtue of Mississippians' stupidity.

Have you been to Mexico City, R.B.? A short visit to the Aztec heartland will show you how terrible pollution can be and how critical it is to start working on things now.

Those people in Mississippi said that they'd rather live poor than take help from gov-nt(even though they do...humm), but I share that type of mentality. I'd rather go broke and poor finding a way to a better renewable sources of energy than slowly eat away at the ending resources that we have. With that said, research for alternative energy isn't even our biggest expense. You know what is? Freaking occupying other countries and dropping million dollar nukes on sand dunes. That's what has put us in a deficit and is making "us" bankrupt. That, along with allowing crooks run wild with loans and hedgers to jack up prices on commodities.

You cannot give up on things that we can afford. Mitt Romney is a weak-spined person who is capable of caving in to conservative demands and Halliburton's interests of starting a new war we definitely cannot afford. Especially if it gets him reelected in 2016 like Bush did in 2004. If McNasty was elected we'd be in Iran right now and Sarah Palin would be getting retarded up in the White House. Wasilla....herp derp!!! Thank God she is only spewing occasional stupid crap on Fox News these days.

U.S. 2012 discretionary spending:

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/charts/discretio...

Yeah, energy and science research should be your least concerns, my man.

[Edited on 18-3-2012 by EatsKewls]

Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 20:49

Survival is required for enjoying all those good things which life would offer. Preserving what exists does not require irrational austerity measures, but it does require sensible management be implemented. Why should anyone think that "caving in to conservative demands" involving very simple things like there should be a balanced budget, and other "no brainer" sorts of measures, would be "irrational" in contrast with the alternative proposition, which is a non-essential austerity plan being inflicted upon people without their consent, and is based upon a dubious "prediction of the future" which some persons in an incompetent minority assert is an impending crisis which requires prevention, but the only acceptable prevention according to the same incompetents, desirably should involve self-inflicted calamity as necessary punishment, whose punishing effects grow exponentially in real time in the present, when there are alternatives to such an approach having greater validity as options? Defeatism is not rational problem solving, but is only a surrender. Should a slow suicide in the present be performed based upon the dubious argument that some higher nobler purpose is being served having uncertain future benefits that makes necessary such sacrifice in the present, simply because some people whose explanations do not withstand scrutiny believe or insist it should be so? I believe the whole controversy comes down not to honest debate about legitimate issues for debate at all, but truly does come down to a matter of who are and who are not rational actors.

Also it would appear from the pie chart that a war is already in progress and if that is the case, then why not call that war what it is identifying it correctly as a war instead of incorrectly identifying such war by euphemisms obfuscating the reality and calling a war anything else? Further if such a war is the reality, then why continue with half measures instead of taking care of business decisively by simply annihilating the enemy using whatever means are necessary to get that job done? It seems we have a leadership that would invest all in half measures and nothing in complete problem solutions.

EatsKewls
holmes1880 (banned)

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 21:34

You're not going to be enjoying things too much when you got no trees and air sucks. That's not a "what if". This is certainty. Ever heard of BP gulf spill? Google it. Mine stripping in the Appalachians and in Mid West.

War? War whom...ragheads with 5 gallon bottles of ammonal? I don't give a rat's ass about those few clowns and you'll never "defeat" them. Few punks want to attack us here, come and get some. We have 10 times more people dying in car accidents every year than on 9/11. We've got suicide drivers....and you'll never know where or when they'll "strike". 9/11 was far too shady to even give credit to ragheads alone- I believe there were bigger players acting.

You want to solve the deficit, quit buying up the Republican/war contractor garbage about "war". There is no real war. We have our "dudes" walking up on 5 cent gallons of ammonal and blowing off legs or driving up on bigger Buffalo Killer charges and destroying humvees and armored vehicles. That's about all to the "war" that there is. You don't know enough about the "war" to declare that we need to be "decisive" about anything. One thing U.S. should be decisive is getting the hell out of there.

Talk about absurd vision. Trying to "create world peace" and "eradicate all radical Islam". Bhahaha. What is more unrealistic than that? This is where we need to take care of ourselves and by cutting our military spending is the best way to get us there.

Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 22:08

The situation you describe involving pollution is a planetary, a global scale type occurrence which no independent "sacrifice" as you advocate by America acting alone will serve as any effective intervention. Therefore in the absence of a joint international venture there is nothing that the US or any other one nation or region can do that will be effective intervention in a problem which has a larger than regional , planetary scale. You completely avoid the very valid points which I have made and continue advocating an irrational policy for irrational action.

The war about which I am speaking is the war in which the U.S. has a casualty
list (not counting 9/11 and many other similar motivated murders), of 6,389 KIA plus more than 47,000 WIA . The quality of your analysis concerning that war is about the same as your analysis and denial of fact concerning other serious business. So probably you are not a rational actor.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 22:15

Listening to all the disagreeing opinions, I am beginning to think this could be an explanation for why there are so many economic problems.

The world is a complicated place, and it is difficult to interrpret so much information to make informed decissions. The human mind is limited. Add several humans together and it just forms an uncoordinated bureaucracy that does not behave in a logical way.

I hope a solution to this fundamental problem will eventually be found.
EatsKewls
holmes1880 (banned)

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 22:25

You've been watching that Fox News, clearly. Most of the casualties are IEDs. Earth-dug IEDs. They plant 5 cent IED in the dirt and we spend $100+ however many many hours and service costs to dig it up. It's like an absurd game....why the hell do we have to dig up every IED in some village that doesn't even concern us? Talk about insane idealogy of making dirt mounds safe. And if it blows up under a soldier or a truck here comes the big expenses.

No disrespect Rosco, but I am seconding this gentleman.

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  

However tiresome I thought you before, at least I didn't think you were self-deceptive as to what you were doing. I was wrong, and I shall now repent of my error by avoiding you entirely.

I will agree that present energy troubles may need to be addressed with nuclear energy, but just as many efforts need to be put into alternative energy, while saving money on this clown show Republicans and Bush started, while retarded herds of voters got mongered into doing it. It's a shame, really.

Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 23:08

Actually about two thirds of the KIA are caused by IED's / mines and that is about double the one third of KIA from similar devices in Viet Nam.....which is an indication of guerilla fighters using guerilla tactics. It does not mean there is no real war. Vehicles are used to move supplies and troops so those vehicles become targets for mines / IED's ......there's nothing surprising about that.

And there is nothing involved in what I have said which represents "self-deception" whether that comes from you or your likeminded pals.

As for the energy business what is rational business management strategy about dividing limited available taxpayer supplied resources and applying "equal effort" towards less proven or totally unproven technologies when the priority should be strict pragmatism rather than romantic faniciful research of a bunch of "long shot" sorts of speculative ideas? That doesn't make good business sense to invest equal resources in something which might not work until you have gotten a good solution implementing something known to be practical first. That is speculating, playing with a problem, while not prioritizing delivering a proven solution. Later on would be the time for pursuing the long shot kind of speculative solutions as future potential upgrades, but first you need to prioritize what can be confident works as promised, not waste valuable finite time and finite resources chasing rabbits in the woods of "possibilities".
EatsKewls
holmes1880 (banned)

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 00:55

Yes, it's a stupid "war" aka "invasion". If some foreign country invaded your town and had their troops parading on the streets you'd be putting IED's in the roads as well to make their stay less comfortable. Good example of Viet Nam. Bingo! Now, stop supporting those idiots who think it is a worthwhile cause.

You don't concede to anything, ever, do you? Probability says you can't be right on every issue all the time, yet you'll never admit you're wrong. You'd make for a terrible persuader. Persuasion requires occasional concession, cause other parties tend to have good points too. Eghhhh, you're too old to change, man. It's ok.

I'll leave you with some Bill Maher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95iRvZOtUWA&feature=relat...

Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 01:56

Actually that is not a correct characterization of me at all. If a person can intelligently point out something about which I am wrong I certainly look at it and if I am wrong I say so and concede that they are correct. I am not 100% right about everything all the time, I am human, but I have a pretty good record generally and I am not dishonest. So it isn't like I have to worry about being caught in a lie which must then be defended by more lies to conceal the first. I have laid things out systematically and logically and given links. You haven't pointed out my error but I have pointed out yours. The issue here isn't that I don't "get it" but that you don't.

I supplied a good example in the C Span link above of numerous articulate intelligent educated conservative Republican blacks. I there expose the myth and propaganda that the Tea Party is racist. You could learn something there, as opposed to what you get from a ridiculous lying pos like Maher
Pulverulescent
International Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 02:39

Quote:
You could learn something there, as opposed to what you get from a ridiculous lying pos like Maher

I find Maher's routine brilliantly, intelligently funny and though I'm older than you are Rosco, I cannot for the life of me, understand how anyone could have such a low opinion of him.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 07:24

Confronted by such a scene can logic or rationality be like the light from Diogenes lamp, illuminating for distinction the face of any honest rational man to be found, either by darkest night or in the brightest noonday sun? Psychoanalyze that.
Failure to understand Paul. Here he is in his letter to the Corinthians:
Quote:
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up [...]
Pay close attention to that last verse. You may not even realize you've got a problem there.

Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 09:38

Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
Quote:
You could learn something there, as opposed to what you get from a ridiculous lying pos like Maher

I find Maher's routine brilliantly, intelligently funny and though I'm older than you are Rosco, I cannot for the life of me, understand how anyone could have such a low opinion of him.

When politically incorrect was years ago a limited comedy and softer satire I found myself chuckling at some of the Maher routine. He became more filthy and edgy as he ran out of material and struggled until now he is just stupid and obnoxious and offensive as well as deceitful to the point none of it is funny anymore. A similar story is there for Michael Moore, for the late Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and other satirist type comedians. These people are no Johhny Carson or Jay Leno and such class clowns should never be confused with a class act. There are a lot of other examples in entertainment and maybe part of the problem is there is only so much material topic matter that is actually funny and most of the things have already been covered. So comedy can become stale and predictable to the point the "laugh track" kind of repsonse just isn't there any more for someone evolved past the hypnosis of a couch potato laughing along with the laugh track after the senility of laughtrackitis has brought low the audience.

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Confronted by such a scene can logic or rationality be like the light from Diogenes lamp, illuminating for distinction the face of any honest rational man to be found, either by darkest night or in the brightest noonday sun? Psychoanalyze that.
Failure to understand Paul. Here he is in his letter to the Corinthians:
Quote:
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up [...]
Pay close attention to that last verse. You may not even realize you've got a problem there.

What a cheap shot that one is. You think in a technical discussion covering the range of serious business having economic implications as this thread, and being confronted with the pseudointellectual absurdities to which I have tried to apply cogent commentary, that I should soften and sugar coat the material which is my analysis to make it more cordial ....and still be able to get across the point? Well here watson.fawkes let mommy make it all better and kiss the booboo and make it well...I didn't realize you were so sensitive or mean to hurt your feelings....in the boxing ring:D

Responding to brazen demagoguery and collectivist, socialist and other propaganda is not business which lends itself to a gentle touch. If there was a better way then feel free to have at it if you do recognize the same issues as I have identified ....but you think my analysis is wrong and you can do better. Until then I probably will think I got it about right.

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  
Life on earth has been around for about 4 billion years.
Ayn Rand's philosophy has been around for less than a hundred years.
Will it survive a thousand years? I doubt it.
My money is on my grandson riding a bicycle, there will be no easy fossil fuel left.

As a frame of reference in logical analysis yes I do think Rand will prevail for a thousand years, because of the pointed exactitude of her analysis that is correct. That is not to say that anyone should follow Rand like some sort of cult leader, but simply to understand the validity of her analysis of certain things is accurate .....but within the psyche that is entirely and uniquely Rand. Rand is a point of reference, for context, almost like a constant modified in a larger equation describing socioeconomic systems. People who don't understand Rand haven't gotten to first base in having a good philosophical perspective about global sociopolitical and economic systems. And as for your grandson riding a bicycle because there will be no "fossil fuel" left ...that will be guaranteed to be the future if the future is planned by two dimensional thinkers who lack depth and intellectual honesty about what is practical which can be done to lead us to a different and better future. Otherwise what you speculate for the future could be even more abysmal.

EatsKewls
holmes1880 (banned)

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 10:22

[Until then I probably will think I got it about right.

R.B, you always have a rebuttal to literally everything. This thread is 22 pages long and you won't find a single post here where you agree or concede on anything that you initially disagreed on. I don't think anyone could convince you of anything other than what is already part of your set frame of mind. I should make a rule to myself and others should take note not to debate with people who believe in Holy Bible. It's a likely road to nowhere. Especially if, heavens forbid, you start debating religion. If someone read the Bible and didn't go "My, that is awfully inconsistent and quite implausible", then there is a very deep problem there. But let me not go any further on that topic. You are valuable contributor in chemistry aspect of energetics and some other energetic related subjects, and that is your core competency.

Now, let us all enjoy this blessed Sunday.

Rosco Bodine
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 10:55

Quote: Originally posted by EatsKewls  
[Until then I probably will think I got it about right.

R.B, you always have a rebuttal to literally everything. This thread is 22 pages long and you won't find a single post here where you agree or concede on anything that you initially disagreed on.
That isn't true, but you want to believe it so it must be for you what is true.
Quote:
I don't think anyone could convince you of anything other than what is already part of your set frame of mind.
That is not the way I am and it isn't how my mind operates. I change my mind about things when the facts require that to be done.
Quote:
I should make a rule to myself and others should take note not to debate with people who believe in Holy Bible.
Maybe that would be a good idea since you think it is a criteria for demagoguery when it isn't, but you have a lot of illusions which you mistake for facts, so that one comes as no real surprise
Quote:
It's a likely road to nowhere. Especially if, heavens forbid, you start debating religion. If someone read the Bible and didn't go "My, that is awfully inconsistent and quite implausible", then there is a very deep problem there. But let me not go any further on that topic.
It seems very curious that the bible and religion would be brought up as a last resort kind of means of dismissing valid rational and logical analysis which runs counter to your agenda, as a sort of kill the messenger strategy for a secular message you don't like. That is simply your bias operating and is intellectually dishonest, another straw man. Make the messenger a scarecrow and target him for slings and arrows. You estimate I am the clown at a dunking booth where you have an endless supply of baseballs, but you have no arm for the task at hand.
Quote:

Obviously, Bill Maher is dead wrong about everything and he is just spiteful!
As a fountain of demagoguery yes he is wrong about the things he finds as material, but his material understandably has appeal to the level of intellect which is impressed by demagoguery for not recognizing it for what it is.
Quote:
Lots of intelligent people agree with him on a lot of issues, but just because it displeases you as it goes against your mindset doesn't mean he is wrong.
Lots of people who think themselves to be intelligent or are regarded as being so by others are as half bright as their admirers.
Quote:

Now, let us all enjoy this blessed Sunday.

I would concede that is an intelligent suggestion

It seems bizarre that it would stir up controversy when I point out there is a distinction between the use of the term "republican" using a lower case r as in the Horace Mann commentary in that first video posted by anotheronebitesthedust, as opposed to the differing meaning and attribute for the word Republican as spelled with a capital R meaning the conservative political party as would be mischaracterized, demagogued, or confused by a propagandist comedian like Maher for example, or by others who would for selfish political purposes try to confuse the distinction. Glad I was able to clarify that, along with addressing any comic illusion about the Tea Party being racist as well.

Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  44

Go To Top