Video lab tour/how to get chemicals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoLvNbjd2ks

Tell me what you think! :->

(part 2 should be on the sidebar)
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 15:26

The stuff stored in his closet is stored with the stuff most likely to leak and cause a problem at the top, and then drip into the bases and oxidizers, then into the flammables. No drip pans or safety basins provided. I would reverse the order of the materials stored, and put them in a plastic tub to at least give a second chance after a leak. There WILL be leaks. I quit watching the video after that.

[Edited on 20-8-2011 by Mr. Wizard]
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 16:04

I just hope the insurance company won't see the video. hee hee hee xD

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 16:20

I always wondered about the leaking issue. I use the mini greenhouse (peet-pots) trays and kitty liter trays on my storage shelf. I don't know how resistant they are but It would at least slow down a catastrophe. I also keep my acids far from my bases and oxidizers (Another shelf), and try to limit fuel in the area of the oxidizers. I know I am not up to 'OSHA' spec or anything, but I at least try and use sense in my storage. I have always feared (maybe irrationally) a midnight fire in my lab. This paranoia helps keep me and my family safe though I hope.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 16:24

The idea of having acids potentially leaking onto oxidizers is somewhat frightening! In many cases this can result in an explosion, fire, or the release of toxic gasses like Chlorine especially if the acid leaking onto a strong enough oxidizer happens to be HCl.

Also H2SO4 needs to be in a plastic bin, it can dehydrate organics and potentially start a fire.
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 16:28

Just another example of someone trying to look smart? I hope nobody watches this and follows his storage techniques. It's an accident waiting to happen.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 16:38

I commented on the video but I will write more here. The store situation is indeed a big deal, and basically in the opposite order it should be.

Now, my storage situation wasn't up to OSHA standards either, but a little more thought and some redundancies (such as placing your acid bottles in spare beakers or glass containers) would go a long way for safety, especially since this is all in your room. My dangerous chemicals used to be stored in an off refrigerator in a concrete outdoor barbecue, a solid 40 feet from my house and surrounded by concrete with nothing on it, so in the case of a fire the only destroyed was the chemicals that caught fire (and that little fridge). When your sleeping 6 feet away from them I would exercise even more caution.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Acetic Acid
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 20:08

Although some of it was clearly meant to be hurtful, I do appreciate all feedback. I'll reorganize my chemicals and put some type of absorbent onto all of the shelves. I don't understand the comment about "placing your acid bottles in spare beakers or glass containers" though; am I supposed to transfer the stock into a glass container? Or put a glass container around the bottle? I don't think I have anything big enough to hold a gallon of muriatic acid.

Yes, I do plan to continue making these videos, as a hobby if nothing else. Please recognize that I'm still a beginner at this point. Thanks!

~Acetic Acid
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2011 at 22:31

Quote: Originally posted by Acetic Acid  
Although some of it was clearly meant to be hurtful

Don't take anything here like that.

Or put a glass container around the bottle? I don't think I have anything big enough to hold a gallon of muriatic acid.

That's what I mean. Its a bit overkill but a good idea for extremely dangerous things. I'm not expecting you to do it with the HCl, or everything for that matter.

Yes, I do plan to continue making these videos, as a hobby if nothing else.

Awesome, I've been doing that for over a year and its a blast.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
yoyoils
Harmless

Mood: positive

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 11:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoLvNbjd2ks

Tell me what you think! :->

I'm jealous. I've been doing the same thing for about a year now too and it seems you're a bit more ahead than me.

i've got about as much including acetic acid from the same supplier and pocket scale but minus the 30+% peroxide and i don't have like any of your other oxidizers or MEK/Toluene. Lucky :)

Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 12:06

Thanks for putting in the effort to show a home lab in the evolution process I like seeing how others arrange their labs.
I'm just starting to get into it too .
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 13:36

Although some of it was clearly meant to be hurtful, I do appreciate all feedback. I'll reorganize my chemicals and put some type of absorbent onto all of the shelves. I don't understand the comment about "placing your acid bottles in spare beakers or glass containers" though; am I supposed to transfer the stock into a glass container? Or put a glass container around the bottle? I don't think I have anything big enough to hold a gallon of muriatic acid.

Yes, I do plan to continue making these videos, as a hobby if nothing else. Please recognize that I'm still a beginner at this point. Thanks!

~Acetic Acid

What is suggested is to put the original container that have liquid in them, inside other containers, so as to contain a leak. Bottles crack, leak, shatter, leaving the liquid to spread everywhere. Often this isn't noticed for hours or days leaving quite a mess , or a disaster. Consider putting liquid containers into buckets just a little bigger than the bottles they came in. Don't take them out of the bottles, just nest them inside another container. Another option is to get some plastic 5 gallon (20L) polyethylene or polypropylene buckets from a hardware or paint store. Often these buckets can be found in trash containers for free. They can be cut down to size with a saw or even a hot wire. Just make sure they are big enough in volume to hold the whole container load.

When looking at a bottle of liquid don't think IF it is going to leak, think it WILL leak. When you reach for one bottle and your arm hits another, where will it land? Every 'unlikely' event will happen sooner or later. This isn't meant as a personal attack or to make you feel bad, since I've made every stupid mistake, and have been lucky enough to tell about it. Learn from others' mistakes at no cost. Stay safe.

As to absorbants, think carefully as to what benefit they may have versus side reactions and increased surface area. What would you put around an acid leak to make it safer? Some will increase evaporation, some will catch fire, some will foam up and overflow the container.

[Edited on 21-8-2011 by Mr. Wizard]

[Edited on 22-8-2011 by Mr. Wizard]
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 18:18

Clean your room!

edit- looks good but yea take the suggestions from the other members here.

[Edited on 22-8-2011 by smaerd]

User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 22-8-2011 at 01:24

Indeed clean it up, I must admit I'm certainly not the organised type myself but your creating a situation that can be dangerous.
One these things is to keep your bench clear at any time, for example when you spill something etc etc things could turn out messy.

*offtopic*
I'm excited, within a couple of months Ill be building a new lab.
I might post some pictures when it under construction/done.
:) :)

[Edited on 22-8-2011 by User]

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 22-8-2011 at 07:06

Also keep in mind those plastic muriatic acid bottles will release a lot of HCl fumes and corrode everything. You can smell them at the hardware store, yuck! I transferred the HCl into glass bottles then put in a plastic bag inside a box with some baking soda to absorb fumes. Can't smell anything after opening the box even after long term storage.

He has mostly household chemicals so its no worse then under someone's sink. The organization is great, despite the wrong order

EDIT: You should also recrystallize most of your stuff so its not crap quality. Start with the CuSO4, its easy and you get a ton of huge blue crystals. KNO3 is also super easy

[Edited on 22-8-2011 by mr.crow]

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 07:40

Any comments on my storage situation/home lab?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXm4CJT7dag&feature=feedu

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 07:51

I got a comment: I'm jealous!

Nice setup you got there! Looks like you have some loyal minions too.:cool: Very noble of you to display you name and face. Telling of your pure motives. Keep up the good work redox. I love your lab!

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 07:57

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
I got a comment: I'm jealous!

Nice setup you got there! Looks like you have some loyal minions too.:cool: Very noble of you to display you name and face. Telling of your pure motives. Keep up the good work redox. I love your lab!

Thanks for the kind words Bot0nist! My minions are very interested in chemistry, and they are good learners!:)

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 09:01

Very Nice!!!

Don't want to nitpick, but your ether is in a clear glass bottle :o Maybe you could repackage some other ones in nicer bottles too

But yeah, nice work!

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 12:46

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Very Nice!!!

Don't want to nitpick, but your ether is in a clear glass bottle :o Maybe you could repackage some other ones in nicer bottles too

But yeah, nice work!

I always distill before use, but yeah, I'm tempted to wrap that bottle in duct tape or something. I really like those pyrex media bottles.

My ether is stored under argon, however, so I'm doubtful about how many peroxides could have actually formed.

Acetic Acid
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 14:47

That was awesome! How did you build that fume hood :-O
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 15:59

Wow, not just that you have a great fumehood, you've got minions, too. Minions are great. You can order them to clean the mess afterwards, like filthy beakers and flasks. :D

I'd recommend you to buy some plastic trays for the corrosives on the metal shelf.
I hope you've got some good venting. Moisture sucks. The good thing is that you have space to move around.

The fumehood is great, but I hope aluminium doesn't play any large structural role. Aluminium fails in labs, that's a common sight.

Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 16:14

Thanks for the video real cool looking lab and well stocked.
I can well imagine you as the head of a large research firm some day keep it up.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 16:33

Quote: Originally posted by redox  
Any comments on my storage situation/home lab?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXm4CJT7dag&feature=feedu

:o:o

Looking forward to your videos!

My YouTube Channel

redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 16:56

That was awesome! How did you build that fume hood :-O

Thanks! It was a 2x4 and plywood structure, with a layer of drywall inside the plywood, and aluminum sheet inside that. Tile covers the bottom. The ventilation is a regular range hood, like one that could be found in a kitchen.

Quote: Originally posted by Ediminion17  

I'd recommend you to buy some plastic trays for the corrosives on the metal shelf.
I hope you've got some good venting. Moisture sucks. The good thing is that you have space to move around.

The fumehood is great, but I hope aluminium doesn't play any large structural role. Aluminium fails in labs, that's a common sight.

Yeah, plastic trays would be nice.
The venting is surprisingly good, the plexiglass sash blocks off air holes, preventing leaks.

As I said, the aluminium plays no structural role, it is really only for looks. The aluminium has shown to be relatively corrosion-resistant. I have filled the fumehood with chlorine gas, bromine vapor, nitrogen dioxide, some hydrogen sulfide, etc. The aluminium has shown little to no corrosion. I think it is anodized or something.

Ediminion, as a response to your youtube comment, the sodium is stored in an HDPE bottle, so even if it fell, it couldn't really break. The other poisons and reactive things are either in plastic or metal (mercuric chloride, lithium, etc.), so they couldn't break either.
Also, I will most likely be getting some sort of garbage bin soon.

Quote: Originally posted by Steve_hi  

I can well imagine you as the head of a large research firm some day keep it up.

That is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Thank you. :)

Quote: Originally posted by Steve_hi  

Looking forward to your videos!

The crew and myself are looking forward to (hopefully) making them! :D

[Edited on 2-9-2011 by redox]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top