Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Reduction of Silicon Dioxide with Lithium
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 06:49

This is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read on this otherwise fine forum.

Lemmesee, so you’re going to extract some Li foil from batteries (you don’t know how hard that is and how little Li you get but never mind…) to react it with silica by pouring ‘kewl napalm’ on the assembly. Not ‘kewl’… You’re making me p*ss myself with laughter!

All this when you can have a nicely controlled self-sustaining reaction from fine sand, Al powder, some garden grade sulphur and two plant pots.

Next project: turn rat poison into arsenic metal, with or without napalm. Not that funny anymore…

You need help alright but of a different type...

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 06:54

yeah thats true, you can get 3rd degree burns with this stuff, it is pretty nasty shizz, but if know how to handle it or what u are doing then it shouldnt the that bad...
theflickkk
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 07:18

A possible source of aluminum is to obtain tiny flakes of aluminum from aluminum paint. It may work but I'm not certain. There are sites online documenting this although I reckon the yields aren't extremely good. Nonetheless, cheaper than ripping apart lithium batteries.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 07:20

yeah i heard u can get aluminum powder for repairing car radiators but haven't came across it, and you could also just put aluminum foil in a coffee grinder a few times, that will make fine aluminum, tho i haven't invested in one yet
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 07:21
Lithium from Batteries

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Lemmesee, so you’re going to extract some Li foil from batteries (you don’t know how hard that is and how little Li you get but never mind…) to react it with silica by pouring ‘kewl napalm’ on the assembly.

It is actually really easy to get lithium from batteries if you know how to do it. I take a Dremel to the middle of a battery and cut it while I rotate the it. Once you can smell the iron sulfide, then you're done. Then simply pull the two halves apart and unroll the lithium. I have disassembled about six batteries in ten minutes using this method.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 07:34

Lemmesee, so you’re going to extract some Li foil from batteries (you don’t know how hard that is and how little Li you get but never mind…) to react it with silica by pouring ‘kewl napalm’ on the assembly. Not ‘kewl’… You’re making me p*ss myself with laughter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCb20Zuueo

it doesnt look like i had any trouble on extracting lithium does it
sternman318
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 07:50

Quote: Originally posted by Chemistry Alchemist  
yeah i heard u can get aluminum powder for repairing car radiators but haven't came across it, and you could also just put aluminum foil in a coffee grinder a few times, that will make fine aluminum, tho i haven't invested in one yet

http://alphachemicals.com/30_micron?b=1
easy, reputable supplier. They also sell sulfur
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 07:58

Quote: Originally posted by Chemistry Alchemist  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCb20Zuueo

it doesnt look like i had any trouble on extracting lithium does it

Hey, congrats, you know? ;)

So how much did you get there and at what cost?

Extracting Li foil from a virgin Li battery is a bit of fun but not much more than that...

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 08:03

you get about 1 gram per battery, where i live its expensive and can be brought a bit cheaper in other places tho
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 08:24

At over £7/gram battery lithium could be used for far more interesting purposes like reduction of rare earth fluorides.

Neodymium salts are quite easy to get from (cheap) neomagnets and can be easily converted to insoluble NdF3, although you really need to know what you're doing when using fluorides.

Li foil can be used in a layered design (Pu was first made from PuF4 + 4 Li this way), alternating layers of Li with layers of the fluoride. This could be heated in a crucible until reaction starts (it then sustains itself, producing liquid metal and liquid LiF). But some kind of hood or extraction system would be needed...

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 08:34

Neodymium salts are quite easy to get from (cheap) neomagnets and can be easily converted to insoluble NdF3, although you really need to know what you're doing when using fluorides.

I like where ur coming from... but how would i preform this? crush the magnet and lay it on the lithium, roll the lithium up to enclose the magnet powder and light it up? would'nt it be contaminated to what else is in the magnet? and also would'nt working with fluorine salts be bad due to fluorine being so reactive?
theflickkk
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 08:54

There's a video by TheChemlife on youtube, titled "Turning magnets into chemicals"
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2011 at 09:08

Quote: Originally posted by theflickkk  
There's a video by TheChemlife on youtube, titled "Turning magnets into chemicals"

Yes and there are several threads on extracting Nd salts from neomagnets on this forum...

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 21:52

Ses Silicon react with Dilute Sulfuric Acid?

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2011 at 23:36

Reduction of Silica Gel With Lithium works, only got a small yield due t only having 1.4 grams of lithium but the reaction went well and just reacting any left over lithium with water and sulfuric acid :)

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 00:19

Hey i preformed the experiment a while back but just now uploaded it, worked well link just below if u wanna check it out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7POuNmbX-8

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 11:17

CA:

A few things. When claiming one has made this or that, it’s customary to include some evidence that what one made is indeed this or that.

Manganese metal is highly reactive when fresh: it even reacts with water (forming hydrogen). If you can dissolve what you claim is manganese and make an acid solution of it do the tricks we know manganese salt solutions do then your claim would be stronger.

Ditto silicon. Silicon does not really react with acids, strong or weak. But it does react with alkali. So your silicon should react with washing or caustic soda, strong enough, forming silicate (SiO3 (2-)) and hydrogen. Add acid to the silicate solution and silica drops out of solution.

You claim the silicon was molten: that’s a highly dubious claim. The MP of silicon is 1414 C, that’s white heat. Also the reaction SiO2 + 2 Li === > Si + 2 Li2O isn’t energetic enough (standard enthalpy of reaction at 298 K = - 296 kJ/mol) to reach such scorching end conditions…

The reaction between Li metal and NaOH is:

NaOH + 2 Li === > Na + Li2O + ½ H2

But seeing the colour of the Na D lines doesn’t mean there was any elemental sodium formed: just stick some NaOH in a flame as watch!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top