Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How i can generate anhydrous HYDROGEN BROMIDE GAS (HBr)??
Sergititob
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-8-2011 at 13:00
How i can generate anhydrous HYDROGEN BROMIDE GAS (HBr)??

Will NaBr + H2SO4 (conc.) and shaking ,gassing then the HBr with a device like for gassing compounds with hydrogen chloride work?

Are there any other OTC method to do that?

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
29-8-2011 at 13:02
Sergititob
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 04:38

Well some people told me that NaBr + H2SO4 (conc.) will work but it's unstable, so idk , me it's for brominating parsley oil which contains apiole, to bromoapiole

Thank you anyways.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 05:32

People aren't going to help you if you can't help yourself, especially as you look interested in synthesising compounds that are close intermediates for questionable compounds. H2SO4 is reduced partially by HBr to yield sulfur dioxide and bromine, but you'd know that if you'd have bothered looking hard enough.
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 06:12

Maybe you arnt aware that HBr can hydrolyze ethers, of which your compound has four, depending on the conditions... Let me guess do you plan on doing a substitution of the Br with a certain amine?

I'm not so sure I have seen EX cooks on here before, a refreshing brand of stupid ...if you are not at all interested in the chemistry...you won't be spoon fed here.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 06:32

This may be helpful:
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv2...

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
UKnowNotWatUDo
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 07:12

As DJF90 suggested perhaps hydrobromic acid isn't the best choice if you want to conserve the ether bonds in your product (which I assume you do). Maybe rearrangement to the propenyl derivative and oxidation to the ketone would be a better idea. Not that I particularly want to encourage you to make anything illegal, I just hate when people shoot down one idea without offering any alternatives. I'm also not entirely sure my suggestion would work, but it seems to be well documented with similar compounds.
Sergititob
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 13:14

Sorry for my bad english it's for making bromoapiole dibromide.

Not for anything illegal guys, so for brominating what i can do with simple methods? and a entire method to make bromoapiole dibromide?

thank you anyways! i'm very interested in chemistry but i didn't have the time to study it in the past.

Any help will be specially appreciated!
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 13:45

Quote: Originally posted by Sergititob  
Not for anything illegal guys, so for brominating what i can do with simple methods? and a entire method to make bromoapiole dibromide?

If you want to make "bromoapiole dibromide" then why are you bothering us with questions about how to generate HBr gas? You need bromine (Br2) for that! At least do some article reading before posting obsolete questions.
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 13:59

I don't think hydrobromic acid is so harsh on ethers, specially on this situation where not much heat is involved. I've seen people doing the reaction between sulfuric acid and bromide salt successfully before. Even if some sulfuric acid gets reduced by hydrobromic acid, I think adding an excess of bromide will minimize this side reaction.
Sergititob
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 14:20

So adding the br2 to the parsley oil is good? well actually i'm triying to make a psychedelic for personal use only in my country is legal it's called DMMDA so will adding bromine to parsley oil would yield bromoapiole?

thank you very much infact.
UKnowNotWatUDo
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 14:32

Adding elemental bromine to apiole will not give you the monobrominated product. DMMDA (or DMMDMA) is what most of us are assuming you are trying to make. If it is legal in your country, good for you. In any case my previous comment stands. The only way to see if hydrobromic acid would deteriorate the ether bonds would be to experiment. But if your funds/supplies are limited this might not be an appealing option for you. Which is why I suggested rearrangement to the propenyl and oxidation to the ketone. If you are making DMMDA you would then perform a reductive amination with ammonia. But this is all much more difficult than simply adding something to parsley oil and such. If you are already confused by our suggestions (or even the compound you are trying to make) I would encourage you not to try any of this. Let alone eat whatever happens to be created in your flask by the end!
Sergititob
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-8-2011 at 02:44

Could you or anyone tell me how i can brominate the compound without deterioring it?

Thank you!
Retard-3000
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-8-2011 at 04:11

No one is going to spoonfeed you here Sergititob, You obviously have a lack of chemistry knowledge so won't be able to pull off the experiment successfully let alone safely.
Sergititob
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-8-2011 at 07:31

Okay, sorry guys.

Thank you all for the info anyways, congrats for the forum.

See you!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 31-8-2011 at 10:45

I took a book off my shelf, looked in the index and went to the page. There is a method other than the mixing elements one. I looked on my shelves and voila; the reagents needed are there should I want to waste precious lab time on something I can order by phone. If you don't know why NaBr and H2SO4 doesn't work don't mess with it. Organic chemistry is not a blind cookbook sort of activity. It is a science and discipline. You must know what is likely to happen when you start mixing things. Organic compounds or known to ignite, detonate, run-away in reactions, give off lethal fumes, etc., etc. Also I think there are cookery forums you can join and ask for spoon feeding but this isn't one of them.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 31-8-2011 at 10:57

I think he has been told enough.

Sergititob ~ Next time, just Google some phrases like bromonation of X, etc, etc. You will find papers and patents and web-pages galore 9 times out of 10. Read these pages and look for anything that could relate to your intended workup. Then, if you don't get much from them post links to them here, along with a description of what you read and what you don't understand.

You will be greeted in a much warmer and helpful fashion.;)

EDIT: When I said "bromonation of X" I meant 'X' as a variable, not mdma of course.

[Edited on 31-8-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.

Go To Top