Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Can small quantities of nitrocellulose detonate?
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 04:09

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Yes, I believe that is what he is talking about. It is even possible to roll the sticky goop up between your fingers and form a little ball. Or, you can pour it between some foil to make a little plastic sheet that can be cut into little pieces when dry. It takes a little while for it to dry thoroughly. Make sure your acetone is water free.

Alright I dissolved nitrated cotton wool in some 99.5% acetone, just enough to get a jelly like consistency.

I then poured/scraped the mass using a spatula onto a non-stick tray in a long (roughly) rectangular smear.

I'll break off small bits once it dries/hardens and try whacking them with a hammer.

Has anyone tried to put NC dissolved in acetone into an atomiser and spraying it to get NC powder? :D
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-9-2011 at 12:40

I have often read that cellulose nitrate is capable of detonation by itself, but one would think the substance must be fairly resistant to detonation, as it is was used as a propellent in large diameter canons, and in the form of cordite. Obviously it would be unsuitable for this purpose if it was vulnerable to detonation. We can see that cordite is formed into ribbons to give it a high surface area, to maximise the rate of deflagration. If it only detonated, then surface area would not matter.

Fist sized quantities of cellulose nitrate, when saturated with sensitized nitromethane, can be detonated with a few grams of primary.

As has been previously discussed on this forum, two hammers that have been coated in a nitrocellulose lacquer make loud little pops, and some smoke, when hit together. The same was sometimes the case with nitrocellulose billiard balls. So nitrocellulose (cellulose nitrate) is in fact known to detonate from sharp impact. It seems to be that the harder, more compact forms, are much more vulnerable to mechanical impact than the softer lower-density forms. Supposedly a nail can be hammered into cordite (which also contains a portion of nitrogycerin!) with virtually no danger. It seems that the physical rpperties of the nitrocellulose in question are very important in relation to sensitivity, as cordite is soft and flexible.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 14:14

Although even Federoff declares that many nitrostarch preparations are embodied in "trade secret" preparations I had managed to find some patents using NS in unique formats. To include them & keep it under 2Mb I enclosed the raw .tiff files.
The PATR states that cornstarch is the common material, yet for ease of nitration, several experimenters insist that Tapioca starch is best. Apparently the extreme small size of the particulate makes the corn starch adhere and "clump together". From my limited microscope measurement slide it seems that the particulate can drop as low as 2um. The original (and common synthesis is the utilization of an addition of starch to HNO3 w/ the addition of H2SO4, while others insist on a mixed acid with high strength nitric acid. Nitrogen content varies quite a bit (more than NC) from 11% through 15%. An interesting feature is the lack of the "nitro-headache" similar to the solid alcohols.
Synthesis appears to require small additions over a protracted period of time with the total contact within the acids of nearly two hours.

Nitro starch was used fairly extensively during WWII as a substitute for TNT and even packaged as TNT blocks in 1/4, 1/2 and 1 lbs blocks. NS was often used as a "work-oriented", high brisency explosive and to much less an extent as a weapon.
As many know, the "trade secret" addendum to many patents make idiosyncrasies difficult to discern. Therefore any synthesis should always start in very low eights so as to maintain safety AND to record efficiency in synthesis. Additions should be of low weight (<.25gr). There is limited information regarding the "run-a-way" phenomenon. But a cautionary note here demands attention. Occasional sever oxidation & fire danger may accompany the use of corn starch due to "clumping" affect. Several authors (including Federoff, comment on the two stage nitration. This (perhaps) to prepare small particulate material to divide and compliment exposure to the acids.

Having seen corn starch nitration I can attest that the material is not optimum. Yet corn starch has less fats and oils displayed in microscopic examination. I had long been interested in NS as it's production appeared shrouded in secrecy. but this may be both a war-time agenda and a profit making attempt as it's utilization has much to be said for it. It is said to have little to no headache, very high shattering power, and excellent Monroe effect applicability. It is a very simple synthesis, similar to solid the solid alcohols such as ETN. It's downside include the need for anti-acids, UV and temperature control.
The raw patents contain a wealth of information, including background information, authors, & testing under industrial conditions. Superficially it appears to be well suited for industrial applications; yet it's popularity was during conflict periods. NS synthesis should NOT be attempted without a solid background in polyol nitration.
That it does not promote a "nitro headache" does not mean that it is non-toxic nor act upon the circulatory system. It is an extremely brisant material with high VoD & shattering effect with minimal compression.
Neutralization is not accomplished easily as it does not form a crystal that gives access to it's particulate body.

Attachment: NITROSTARCH.rar (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 630 times

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top