Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: wittig reaction by t-BuOK/THF, 5-hydroxytrphenylphosphonium bromide and 2-cis-hexenal
napoleon9
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 09:14
wittig reaction by t-BuOK/THF, 5-hydroxytrphenylphosphonium bromide and 2-cis-hexenal

I made wittig reaction of 5-hydroxytrphenylphosphonium bromide and 2-cis-hexenal by t-BuOK catalyst in THF.
But I don't success with them, I don't understand what happen ? why it is no reaction.
I don't find peak alkadien conjunction by NMR.

please give me some advice.
thanks
Chordate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2011 at 23:42

You need to tell us more than that to get an idea of what is going on.

What procedure did you use. What was your workup

What molar ratios did you use?

Where did you get your reagents, or how did you prepare them?

What do you mean by 5 hydroxytrphenylphosphonium bromide? If its not a hydrobromide salt you're probably talking about a substituted triphenylphosphine. That numbering doesn't make sense for a substitution on the aryl groups, nor does it make any sense for a bare hydroxyl group to be attached directly to the phosphorous. So whats substituted where, whats your full chemical's name?

Also, if you could attach a scan of your NMR, or better yet the FID it could help.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
23-9-2011 at 06:13
napoleon9
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 06:58

sorry I write wrong.

wittig : 5-hydroxypentyltriphenylphosphonium bromide with 2-cis-hexenal in t-BuOK/THF

I wash product by NH4Cl , extracted with diethyl ether, wash brine, MgSO4.

I was add 2,1 equiv base (t-BuOK).
2-cis-hexenal (1,78 mmol)
phosohonium salt (2,5 mmol)

then the reaction is finish. It was washing with NH4Cl solution (cool), extracted with diethyl ether and washed with brine. The organic layer was dried over magesium sulfate and filtered, and the filtrate was concentrated in vacuo to afford a yellow oil. This crude product was purified by column chroma-
tography (silica gel) ( hexane : ethyl acetate). Rf = 0,55 (TLC , (petro ether (60:90): diethyl ether = 2:1). But I don't find peak alkadien conjunction, I see peak -OH.

thank you for me some advices
;)

[Edited on 26-9-2011 by napoleon9]

[Edited on 26-9-2011 by napoleon9]
Chordate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 11:24

How did you make the wittig salt? That wittig salt is not stable. Making it would likely be tricky, and it'd be easily destroyed. Did you make it fresh, confirm the presence of the correct salt, then run the reaction dry under inert gas?
napoleon9
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 16:10

I made the wittig salt as "Studies on the Biomimetic Synthesis of the Manzamine Alkaloids" of Jack E. Baldwin. I controled with IR and NMR for result exactly. Before I practice this reaction, I washed diethyl ether hot.

First I give stirred wittig salt and THF, next I give KHDMS into bottle (-78 oC). The solution is slightly yellow to bold yellow. The stirred is 30 min at temp room. Then the bottle is cold with dry ice in aceton to -78 o C, I give aldehyde into bottle. The solution is to organe for 30 min. After the bottle is to temp room for 2 hr. The colour solution is brown. hen the reaction is finish. It was washing with NH4Cl solution (cool), extracted with diethyl ether and washed with brine. The organic layer was dried over magesium sulfate and filtered, and the filtrate was concentrated in vacuo to afford a yellow oil. This crude product was purified by column chroma-
tography (silica gel) ( hexane : ethyl acetate). Rf = 0,55 (TLC , (petro ether (60:90): diethyl ether = 2:1). But I don't find peak alkadien conjunction, I see peak -OH.

thanks

Go To Top