Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Thiosulfate
Acetic Acid
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 07:31
Sodium Thiosulfate

I've reduced compounds I made at school with Na2S2O3 for a few weeks now. However, I'm wondering if this chemical is OTC. My teacher said you can get it as pool de-chlorinator, which would make sense. Needless to say I don't like to spend money on the wrong chemical though. Does this look like it's sodium thiosulfate?

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Pool-Adjuster...

There's a leslie's within 15 minutes of me so I like to buy stuff from there if possible

Thanks!
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 08:01

It might be. Why don't you go check it by yourself? After all, it's only 15 minutes down the road...
Go, you'll be glad you did. Pool supply companies have lots of cool chemicals in huge packs. To us it's like when a kid enters a candy shop. :D

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 08:07

Is that the same chemical used for photography? that dissolves the excess AgBr from b/w film creating silver thiosulfate and sodium bromide?

Acetic Acid
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 08:17

Yeah, I got my 27% h2o2 from there, 18$ a gallon and no hazmat fee. ^_^ It's a really neat place.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 08:22

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
It might be. Why don't you go check it by yourself? After all, it's only 15 minutes down the road...
Go, you'll be glad you did. Pool supply companies have lots of cool chemicals in huge packs. To us it's like when a kid enters a candy shop. :D

Just don't ask them to tell you what's actually in the bags! To be sure, ask for an MSDS.

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 08:40

wouldnt it normally say what the chemical is on the package? thats what im always looking for

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 11:27

Quote: Originally posted by Chemistry Alchemist  
wouldnt it normally say what the chemical is on the package? thats what im always looking for

Quite often it doesn't. Marketing: 'sodium thiosulphate' sounds a bit sinister to a lot of folk. 'Chlorine scavenger' however sounds like just the job! Half the efforts of selling are in the words you use...

[Edited on 26-9-2011 by blogfast25]

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 12:46

I don't know about your place, Alchemist, but here such products must have a label describing the contents. There has to be a warning label (usually Xi or Xn) with some R and S phrases. And, of course: "In case of ingestion, show this label to the physician." or something like that. The only case where the contents are not explicitly named are things like kitchen cleaners that contain complex and rich mixtures of organics. Instead, it says: "nonionic surfactants, ionic surfactants", etc.
But for simple chemicals or mixtures, there's always a description. That's how I managed to find a block of ammonium chloride in an IT store. :)

Yeah, Na-thiosulphate is a photographic fixer.

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 17:58

yeah its annoying when im looking around and see a chemical that is either really corrosive or toxic and it doesnt say anything to whats inside.... what if there was a spill and you wanted teh MSDS to know what ur dealing with but you cant because you dont know whats inside :S

yeah i thought it was, i really want some just so i can make reasonably pure Elemental Sulfur

Go To Top