Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On the subject of salt bridges.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 18:10
On the subject of salt bridges.

So, I'm designing a battery that has one half cell with an unstable oxidising agent, and a very good reducing agent on the other side. I'm using aluminium as a reducing agent, but I hit a stumbling block. The oxidising agent reacts with electrons to form an inert compound, water, and a bunch of irrelevant side products. But it also produces sodium and potassium hydroxides, which if allowed to react with aluminium will destroy the anode and waste the anode material.
So inevitably, I need to separate the half cells and connect them with a salt bridge. I still need the aluminium to react with hydroxide anions produced at the cathode:
Al + 3OH- ----> Al(OH)3 + 3e-

But I absolutely need to keep the sodium and potassium ions out of the reduction half cell (we all know what happens when you mix aluminium and NaOH).

I also don't want to compromise the diffusion rate of OH- ions from one cell to the other, I need the diffusion rate to be as high as possible to enable the battery to churn out the maximum amount of power it can provide.

So what do I use for a salt bridge? I can't use sodium hydroxide, or else I'm defeating the point of the salt bridge. All the other hydroxides are pretty much insoluble in water.

What do you guys think?
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2011 at 18:44

I think what you need is a battery separator, not really a salt bridge. See e.g. http://www.tinhoahoc.com/Battery/cr020738u.pdf for something resembling an overview (there are probably better overviews but no open access ones I could find).
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 28-9-2011 at 20:33

I'm not sure if this is even relevant but I have recently heard of people using shopping bags as semi-permeable membranes.

http://sites.google.com/site/sed695b/projects/longitudinal-r...

I'm not sure if they would hold up with strong base or not or allow the ions you want to pass through or whatever, but it's a pretty cheap thing to test.

Go To Top