Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A Sciencemadness retrospective
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

biggrin.gif posted on 22-4-2004 at 07:52

When I joined this forum I was a |<8w|, like innumerable scores of other bored Internet coasters. Vulture missed me... because I had rudimentary knowledge of chemistry. Now I know more than I ever could coasting Google search results and scavenging the few bits of information I could find. I was denied membership of the British library (a place in London that's the biggest library in Britain) because I was under 18... so I would most likely remain a kewl if it was not for this site. And yes, I too visit this site more often than everything else combined.
Thank you all! :D *bear hug*
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-4-2004 at 12:45

Quote:

Vulture missed me... because I had rudimentary knowledge of chemistry.

Not quite. Your first 40 posts were kinda wiseguyish and I almost banned you back then. The only thing that stopped me from doing it was indeed your rudimentary knowledge.

Glad to see you improved since then.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

smile.gif posted on 24-5-2004 at 15:38

Blind Angel...take a good look arround...we are stil there.
No we are no ghosts and you can't see dead people...do you?
:);):D:cool::o:P
:);):D:cool::o:P

"I think it's pretty sad that we've lost some great members like madscientis and Ph Z (some other that i can't think of right now but that you can find if you use the member list), but some good one got added, i'm thinking about Chemoleo, who literaly brought life to this forum, axehandle, Bromic Acid, Blaster.... "

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Semtexium
Harmless

cool.gif posted on 13-11-2006 at 06:24
Home...

Greetings my old friends... I feel again like I am home, a place with familiar souls if unfamiliar handles... I had long feared some sort of global LE persecution of our beloved knowledge keeper. After reading this post I can see why what was done was done, I'm saddened only by the fact it took me so long to find this place. ..

I am in a word stunned, but in a much appreciative way. You'll never understand what this place and you people mean to me, or perhaps YOU are the only ones who can fully understand... I have been lost in the fog for some time now, I hope to be able to once again contribute to and for this wonderful community...

Many thanks go to the admins and mods for not only keeping this community going, but no doubt sacrificing in more ways then we can imagine, in order to do so...

Hope I can be of some assistance, or at least not get in the way too often... ;-p
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-6-2007 at 07:03

I figured that since our five year anniversary came and went that I would ping this thread to bring it back to the forefront. It's always a good thing to appreciate sciencemadness and everything that it has given us,

Thank you so much Polverone and all you other mods/admins out there!

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 17-6-2007 at 11:44

I would like to express my thanks to the mods and amins for making and keeping such a great forum. I also started out reading E&W as a high-schooler. There I saw the link to Vulture's Dutch chemistry board and I went from E&W to his Dutch board for a while before I found this one. I liked it right off the bat, I read topics about subjects that meant nothing to me and I loved every minute of it!

Now I study chemistry in university (halfway through my BSc right now) partly due to the inspiring reading I've done here. Keep up the good work!

(I also like that this board has a lot of Dutch members ;P)

[Edited on 17-6-2007 by Nerro]

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-6-2007 at 13:22

I stumbled across this thread and I also want to express my thanks to Polverone and all the others, who are keeping this board alive and kickin'.

I was directed to sciencemadness almost 2 years ago by Taaie Neuskoek (also a Dutch member) and since the first reads, I have enjoyed it very much, and I immediately registered as a member. This is the place, where real chemistry can be discussed and also other sciences, without being nannied by some supervisor.

What I particularly like is the combination of a friendly admosphere, while at the same time there is large freedom in what to post and what to tell. Also newbies are welcomed here, and that is a good thing. Everyone needs to learn from scratch and that is something which is supported and encouraged over here.

Sciencemadness now exists for just over 5 years. Well ... I hope that a large multiple of 5 years will be added to this! :) ;)

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 26-6-2007 at 02:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Polverone
In May 2002, I acquired webspace and a domain name, and launched the message board. Madscientist is member #1 because he read the setup directions for the board software before I did and logged in first, afterward creating my account for me. At first it was very slow going. Madscientist and I were pretty much "talking out loud" to each other, while a handful of people we'd known from the E&W Forum sometimes visited or contributed. I remember being excited the first time we started seeing a new post on the board almost every day.

Are the oldest posts still on the board? Would be interesting to see what you guys were rambling on about in the beginning.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 26-6-2007 at 07:44

Quote:
Originally posted by froot

Are the oldest posts still on the board? Would be interesting to see what you guys were rambling on about in the beginning.

As it seems, this is the oldest existing thread.

I remember it being said before that the board was hosted someplace else before it was moved (twice now, right?), but the posts of the earlier MSDB no longer seem to exist.

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 12:38

Quote:
I remember it being said before that the board was hosted someplace else before it was moved (twice now, right?), but the posts of the earlier MSDB no longer seem to exist.

That is correct. Initially we set up a free forum called the "Mad Science Discussion Board" (MSDB) at EZBoard, on February 11th of 2002. (Not sure how I remember the exact date.) It wasn't long before we tired of dealing with the ads, especially since it mostly just the two of us, with an occasional second, third, etc. coming of the great PhZ. We closed it down, and briefly even considered moving to email - glad that we didn't! I set up Ultimate Bulletin Board with a free Prohosting account, and manually migrated as many posts as possible. Unfortunately, the quality of the host was terrible - posts kept vanishing, files getting corrupted. It wasn't very encouraging to new members when they found their posts garbled or destroyed. It was then that Polverone made the move to get paid hosting for the site (thank god) and set up ScienceMadness.org. We migrated as many posts as possible from the "pro"hosting site, which is why if you look really far back, you'll see entire threads with every reply posted on the same day.

It is you that have made this a great community - thank yourselves and each other! We are mere catalysts. You are the reactants. :P

Edit: On a nostalgia trip, browsing ancient threads, and found this: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2061

KABOOM posted an attachment containing the acetic anhydride thread from the EZBoard days... if you're curious to see how far the board has come.

Those old posts of mine are embarrassing. :D

[Edited on 4-11-2010 by madscientist]

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 23-3-2012 at 20:20

Time to bump the thread, Feb 11, 2012 marked the 10th anniversary of Sciencemadness from its inception and May 19, 2012 is on the horizon. Who thought this would last 10 years?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 23-3-2012 at 21:24

A quick glance at some of the view counts on the threads and how prevalent the site is in the search engine results, it being referenced in a journal entry and so on makes me suspect it is on it's way to (has already?) become a leviathan.

The forum is open in my browser tabs everyday. Life would be a dull affair without all the interesting ideas, approaches and results this site's members have to offer.

To complete the look with the Wiki idea, two new sections:

Inorganics <--- stunned it's not already a section...
Youtube <---- I think this would be a good addition because it has boomed since the forum opened and is becoming something the BBC news reference.

It's been said before, but an IRC would be fun. <---- I seem to recall it's been tried before, but again, the forum does evolve over time and it may be quite different now.

Perhaps, like some other forums, we could have an introductory period. During which members can't post to the other forums (I have also noted the spam bots appearing in my mail box). This might also help with those who are banned, reappear, are banned, reappear, are banned...

[Edited on 24-3-2012 by peach]
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 23-3-2012 at 22:30

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
A quick glance at some of the view counts on the threads and how prevalent the site is in the search engine results, it being referenced in a journal entry and so on makes me suspect it is on it's way to (has already?) become a leviathan.

The forum is open in my browser tabs everyday. Life would be a dull affair without all the interesting ideas, approaches and results this site's members have to offer.

To complete the look with the Wiki idea, two new sections:

Inorganics
Youtube <---- I think this would be a good addition because it has boomed since the forum opened and is becoming something the BBC news reference.

It's been said before, but an IRC would be fun.<---- I seem to recall it's been tried before, but again, the forum does evolve over time and it may be quite different now.

Perhaps, like some other forums, we could have an introductory period. During which members can't post to the other forums (I have also noted the spam bots appearing in my mail box). This might also help with those who are banned, reappear, are banned, reappear, are banned...

[Edited on 24-3-2012 by peach]

I was a lurker for several years on this forum without an account since I felt I had little to contribute with, but was suggested by a seller on Ebay to join since he/she and I obviously shared a common goal of a grand chemistry forum for amateurs and professionals alike.

One of my posts was on one of the methyl iodide threads reporting my results oblivious of the way to do things around here, my first forum and all, and felt I did something not quite according to correct etiquette (by feed
back) and as such I was "put" off for awhile before I picked up the "thread" and started posting my experiences and though limited knowledge about chemistry.

An introductery period is not such a bad idea, perhaps (force) link new members for awhile to the various threads about forum etiquette and such as a learners introduction (In this case it is bad to learn the bad way as it scares off the genuine minds and attracts the bad ones)....

Anyways, I must also show my concern on the recent ( the last year or so in my experience) flow of spambots and stupid requests for spoonfeeding (though I probably have asked to be spoonfed too..) and support such a introductery period suggested by peach.

An IRC function would be nice, perhaps it would remove some of the redundent flaming occuring in the threads and giving it/them a chance to be put where it's supposed to be, between the people involved and not filling the "other than flaming" useful threads...

As I am a molecular biologist (at heart atleast, with next generation sequencing as a speciality..) and as such I miss a forum for this field of science since it is probably one of the fastest growing (and most important???) fields today and it incorporates most schools of chemistry/physics (could write on and on about the fields it touches) and as such I believe SM would benefit to have such a (partial) focus. I know there is alot of other forums dealing with just this but none where the amateur is welcome and able to speak freely.

As an endnote I would like to say that I love this forum and visit several times a day to pick up on, and hopefully be part of the discussions going on be them scientific of social in topic.

PS. Piss drunk when I write/wrote this so please no unconstructive critics...:P

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-3-2012 at 23:13

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12475#...
Even entropy complimented your write up bahamuth! That isn't what I would call a bad reception at all. ;)

Thanks to everyone. I am on SciMad several times a day. It is the only forum I visit.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 23-3-2012 at 23:52

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12475#...
Even entropy complimented your write up bahamuth! That isn't what I would call a bad reception at all. ;)

Thanks to everyone. I am on SciMad several times a day. It is the only forum I visit.

It was not that I got a bad reception, just that I did not know the "proper " way of doing things, not reading the OPs post properly and sciting the references and so on, which is probably the most important thing to do in science.

But really, at that time I felt the urge to post what I had done and basically brag about it without reading thouroghly every thread (on this forum) concerning the subject and as such I felt a little stupid when it was pointed out to me that the OP actually posted the ref. and I did not scite it.. (I am actually really shy and probably too proud of what I do so it kinda put me of that I myself did a bad job in researching the subject..) ..

PS. google is a godsend in spellchecking for us drunk non-english mother toung bastards out there.., only wish everybody would use so I could understand all posts...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top