Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Centrifuge, and heat problems?
magnus454
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2011 at 13:56
Centrifuge, and heat problems?

Anyone have a 6 space 10ml centrifuge or equivalent, and noticed allot of heat buildup while it's running? Would it be detrimental ( I use screw top glass centrifuge tubes) to modify the case with some ventilation to help lower the temp. generated by the motor?

History is repeating itself.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 04:58

Quote: Originally posted by magnus454  
Anyone have a 6 space 10ml centrifuge or equivalent, and noticed allot of heat buildup while it's running? Would it be detrimental ( I use screw top glass centrifuge tubes) to modify the case with some ventilation to help lower the temp. generated by the motor?
Disassemble it, clean the innards, and lubricate it well before that. Just adding external cooling may well not address the underlying problem. You may need to take apart the motor to get to the source. It's also conceivable that the bearings of the motor need to be replaced.
magnus454
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 05:29

I'll double check it, it's acutally brand new, it's just a cheap chinese made one, although i get 2250 rfc's out of it.

Megamarko94
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 05:52

it is normal for centrifuges to heat up from the friction in rotor.
thats why centrifuges used for blood and serums (and other thermal sensitive samples) have cooling..

[Edited on 7-10-2011 by Megamarko94]

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 17:27

Quote: Originally posted by magnus454  
it's acutally brand new, it's just a cheap chinese made one
Well then. It may need initial lubrication. It's become something of a standard thing for me to disassemble new tools etc. with small electric motors and lubricate. Proper lubrication needs to be done by hand for machinery without dedicated lubrication design, which is most everything. Proper lubrication in the factory adds to the cost of goods, yet without much visible difference, so many don't do it or do a shoddy job of it.

There will always be some friction in a high-speed rotor, but you can minimize it with lubrication. Also, I recommend using the relatively more expensive synthetic greases. They won't break down as fast under heat. It's the difference between $8 and $3 for a 4 oz. tube, so it's not like it will break the bank.
magnus454
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 18:54

Actually I use a number of custom blended oils and greases of my own design. I use a mix of silicone grease with WS2 (tungsten Disulphide sub micron powder". I also use a 10w t oil with auto transmission fluid 70/30 with WS2 for fine machines, works miracles. I'll give it a look see.

magnus454
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 20:01

I lubed it, seems to run slightly quieter, I filled all six tubes up with tap water and ran it at full speed for 20 minutes, with the lid in place. after shutdown I put a thermometer in one tube to measure the temp of the water, it peaked at 122 Deg. F. Does this seem problematic? I may still bore 3 hole around the perimeter of the base of the unit, and cover them with fine aluminum mesh, and possibly a few near the top to allow convective airflow plus the spinning action of the rotor.

Go To Top