Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Chemistry Hackspace: Can it be done?
Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

Mood: 0 K

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 14:36

It's good to see my first fellow brit on the map - Hexavalent. I've never visited Anglesey myself, but it's a beautiful place to live from what I've been told.

497 - a travelling chemistry ship sounds great; it's almost Bond villain-esque! I imagine there would be a good few raids from the naval forces of the world though, as it would probably scream 'floating drug lab'! Still, how about we club together and buy one of these:

Attachment: Utopia.pdf (537kB)
This file has been downloaded 788 times

99chemicals (but bitumen ain't one? :D ) - I understand your feelings about not wanting to reveal your location. I've been rather reluctant to share such things in the past but perhaps we can be a bit overcautious, maybe it's time for a bit of an home-chem pride movement :)

Find your nearest fellow mad scientists! Add yourself to the Science Madness Hackspace map today!
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 15:03

The map looks good when you are zoomed really far out!;)

So far 14.

We need more. People.

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
Aperturescience27
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 05:57

I like the ship and island ideas, but what about Antarctica? Lots of empty land, no government, untapped mineral resources...
edit: huge... tracts of land

[Edited on 8-25-2012 by Aperturescience27]

Find your nearest fellow mad scientists! Add yourself to the Science Madness Hackspace map today!
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-8-2012 at 07:25

I posted my locations, I am close to a couple of people. Hopefully something comes of this, because this is really exciting.

I was part of the ATX hackerspace before I moved, I was the only chemist, but they allowed me to keep some equipment and do small scale things as long as it did not involve many hazards and was completely legal.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 26-8-2012 at 17:32

Naa, Antarctica's too far away, how about Greenland? Resupplying is a problem, and in both cases a 6 month long night is a potential problem. At least chemicals can be stored in a perpetual cold without refrigeration, that's a plus.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Aperturescience27
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-8-2012 at 17:04

Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
Naa, Antarctica's too far away, how about Greenland? Resupplying is a problem, and in both cases a 6 month long night is a potential problem. At least chemicals can be stored in a perpetual cold without refrigeration, that's a plus.

Greenland has a government, though. They might be concerned that we might be trying to sell meth to Eskimos and polar bears or blow up some snow.

Aperturescience27
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 16:26

Looks like a lot of people in the general New York City area (not me, unfortunately, all alone in CA). I think you could get a pretty decent hackspace set up somewhere in NY or PA. We should look into regulations and laws in various states in this area. Would anyone in that general area like to volunteer to do some serious work in managing the hackspace? If we can find someone really dedicated, with enough free time, who lives near plenty of other interested people who are willing to help out, we should look for a location close to them.

We should also look for nearby hackspaces not devoted to chemistry and see if they would like to add a chemistry branch. This would be ideal, less work for us!

In summary, it looks like this could really happen if people are willing to put in the effort. Let's get to researching, and if anyone has lots of spare time to dedicate to this project, and lives in the Northeast, please let us know. I just wish I lived up there, although as a student I don't know how much time I'd be able to contribute anyway.

Edit: Here's a link to a map of existing hackspaces (or "hackerspaces"):
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

[Edited on 9-5-2012 by Aperturescience27]

Acidum
Harmless

Mood: Sublimed

[*] posted on 2-5-2013 at 12:27

I would definitely go for HackLab collaboration! With proper behavior You could easily attract more amateur scientists.

Imagine the possibilities! Chemists, physicists, electronic gurus and computer geeks all working on homemade NMR! Or high power dye lasers! Or satellite launching! ...worst case scenario - You will end up being that weird chemist guy doing some crazy research in a corner of hacklab...

If only we had some serious hacklabs in Serbia... You westerners are blessed...

...and then I disappeared in the mist...
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 21:32

Hey Aperture,
I just asked a similar question on the forum. See this thread:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=24145
I would be all for a hackspace of some sort. perhaps this could be a project that could be done in small chunks? we seem to have a lot of people in the US, why not divide tasks and have each member concentrate on a step of the regulatory process? A member poll has been suggested, I'll get started with that. I think any hackspace will have to be as close to a densely populated urban area as possible (after considering zoning laws). A university town would be ideal, as we would probably be more likely to find people genuinely interested in the subject. Off the top of my head I'm thinking the Boston or LA metro areas. As far as making money from chemistry... synthesis is not really where the money is at I think. It requires time-consuming research and much specialized (read expensive) equipment, and even then your project may fail (lots of promising projects in the drug industry go that route). I think analysis, specially environmental analysis, is much more feasible. There are even certification processes with the relevant authorities so the potential lab is recognized as consistently producing reliable results. An extremely simplified scheme would go something like this: Buy analytical equipment (using collective purchasing power). Receive samples from clients. Analyze samples. Report results. Charge money. As examples I know of a few companies that charge an arm and a leg for detailed spectrometric analyses of samples and their interpretation. We wouldn't even have to buy much equipment starting out. After all, there are a lot of wet-chemistry analytical techniques that don't require fancy equipment. I have added my location to the map, and it looks like we live pretty close to each other :)
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 14:32

Just wanted to bump this thread because I thought it was really cool and didn't know that it existed until today.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 14-3-2015 at 09:19

Was there any progress in setting up a chemistry hackerspace?

Bromine, definitely bromine.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top