Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Coffeemaker For Distilling Chemicals
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

smile.gif posted on 14-10-2011 at 14:47
Coffeemaker For Distilling Chemicals

does anyone know about this one more.

i read some where where some one used a coffee maker as a retort of course being not going to use the coffee maker again for coffee of course. he was describing it is made of all plastic inside and was describing how it was used to distill his mixture of sodium nitrate and sulfuric acid and made nitric acid
and that he replaced the filer unit and just lead the dripping into a funnel
to the coffee pot. and the coffee pot being borosilicate glass.
any one thoughts on this one

[Edited on 14-10-2011 by symboom]
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 14-10-2011 at 15:19

Sounds like a stupid idea to me. If I was going to use a rigged apparatus to distill boiling acids, I would not use a plastic coffee maker ever. Just get some basic gear man. What are you, in Australia or something?

EDIT: I did not mean to imply that Australians are cheap or something, only that they tend to have trouble finding glassware and reagents do to politics I guess.

[Edited on 15-10-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2011 at 17:00

it just might work because the liquid is boiled in aluminum and sulfuric acid will eat up aluminum quick but the nitric might passivate the aluminum since it is heated quickly. one better stand way out the way because the red fumes will go everywhere. now the glass pots will work as retorts because i still have nitric i made that way.glass coffeee pots and oil lamp tubes can withstand great heat. except the cute round glass coffee pots used at alsups stores,they distort and want to melt.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 04:38

A 'still' like that would have enormous limitations in terms of materials that can be used in it and is not worth doing, IMHO.

The basic components (boiling flask, simple column and Liebig cooler) of a distillation kit can now be purchased for little dough on eBay, if you just shop around a bit (or a lot, depending). Contact sellers to notify you of best bargains. Invest a little well spent time on this and you'll have an all glass kit that can distill most simple mixtures.

fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 06:15

I have seen bulb-to-bulb distillation units that were based on the large coffepots you used to see in churches, VFA halls, and other gathering halls. These were once fairly common in chemical labs. There is actually a similar model in this thread:

kugelrohr

As for the coffeemaker as retort, I've seen them used as extracting units (and not just for extracting brown juice from ground up coffee beans ;) ) but not for distilling. Glass is so much easier to handle and less reactive than anything inside a coffeemaker, and very nearly as cheap.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 08:14

Agreed. Bear also in mind that catering size coffee makers and similar aren't necessarily cheap. Au contraire, mon cher...

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 11:54

And anyway, a quickfit (or similar) still would seem the most basic requirement for anyone with an interest in chemistry!
Some, it seems, will attempt any daft thing to avoid spending a measly few bob on an essential, basic piece of apparatus!

metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 12:52

A coffeemaker usually has aluminum tubing which does not resist H2SO4 and the filter unit is not vapor tight. So it is useless. Follow the advice of the other posters and order some simple glassware.
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 12:59

because chemistry glassware is not allowed to indivisiuals in texas unless you part of a lab.
a cheap one i found that some one was gitting rid of because they simpaly wanted a new one it has all plastic inside all the way up to the part that drips water on the coffee i plan to replace the filter unit and just place a funnel
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 13:22

Damn, if glassware is prohibited in Texas they might castrate you if they catch you synthesizing nitric acid.

Maybe you should move...

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 13:30
Maybe a good deal

This is what I pan on buying when I have some spare cash
349$ ON EBAY

[img]C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\$(KGrHqZ,!iwE5dbgkOIDBOc1dg5tGg~~60_3.jpg[/img]

$(KGrHqZ,!iwE5dbgkOIDBOc1dg5tGg~~60_3.jpg - 107kB
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 15-10-2011 at 23:24

If you cant alway$ afford professional glassware, then I believe most times (except if you are willing to mess with fluorine, HF or other extremely nasty stuff) is legitimate to work with improvised apparatus..

Very cheap generic coffemaker:

Dismantling:

Note there is a thermostat well fixed to resisting element and aluminium tube (in which the water to make coffee is heated and circulates by convection), closer:

Because of the thermostat, the apparatus will not have a constant temperature, and is relatively low.. But still usable! I suspect it could be even converted in mild heating/stirring plate, replacing the thermostat by a far stronger one, isolating with some glass wool and puting bellow a rotating neodymium magnet..

All of the initial stuff can be reduced to this:

You could pass some heatsink paste between the beaker or another glassware and the plate from coffeemaker to improve heat transfer..

The glass with comes along with the machine can be made into a "desert still" like this:

(Taken from: http://www.homechemistry.org/view/Preparation_of_formic_acid)

and used the same way with the coffeemaker..

[Edited on 16-10-2011 by Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2011 at 06:30

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Damn, if glassware is prohibited in Texas they might castrate you if they catch you synthesizing nitric acid.

"Freedom, FREedom, FREEDOM", all together now...

I find it hard to believe that owning glass labware in the Lone Star State is illegal for non-institutionalised individuals. And how would they enforce that? The glass police? ("They come in the night and check your house for illegal erlenmeyers, man! But they only found a 100 ml RBF and let me off with written warning!") :D

It puts the expression 'the knock on the door' into a whole new light...

[Edited on 16-10-2011 by blogfast25]

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2011 at 06:33

Quote: Originally posted by Aqua_Fortis_100%  
Note there is a thermostat well fixed to resisting element and aluminium tube (in which the water to make coffee is heated and circulates by convection) [...] Because of the thermostat, the apparatus will not have a constant temperature, and is relatively low.. But still usable!
The thermostat here is a bimetallic disk type with a fixed set point. If it's useful to get better temperature regulation, you can unscrew that thermostat and put a thermocouple or RTD in its place, then use a temperature controller.

The chemical compatibility of aluminum is pretty poor overall with many things people might want to run through it. The real issue is cleaning it. That heating chamber is just not designed to be opened up and serviced on a regular basis. Therefore, in practical terms any re-purposing of such a unit would have to be a dedication production device. This isn't the worst case by any means.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is as an extractor of some form. It seems pretty good for steam distillation unit, since you'd just fill it with distilled water. You could also use it to drive a Soxhelet or Gregar extractor. What you'd do is to mount the U-tube heating chamber horizontally. On one side, put a tube to the solvent reservoir going down. On the other side, attach a tube leading up to the condenser. Make sure there's enough total solvent volume so that the weir of the U-tube is below the solvent level by a few inches, to ensure that it's continuously replenished.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 16-10-2011 at 10:13

Thank you.

Controlling the temperature of the heating element would allow me to have an even more useful DIY apparatus..

Soxhelet extractor is a good idea for this.. That would be very interesting and convenient to extract natural products and being pratically harmless to aluminium..

Ive used once this to make some HNO3 ("desert still")...

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 12:21

damn and here it looked like the coffee make used high temp plastic and not aluminum for the heating tube im thinking of just replacing the aluminum pipe with a lead pipe by casting two halves
and welding together the lead pipe.it should hold the hot water as the heating element heats up the lead pipe and wont melt it
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 13:58

How about making a ceramic ampulla and operculum?

Look how long these sentences are. It reminds me of German.
http://books.google.com/books?id=oWoChuYV2GUC&pg=PA445&a...

[Edited on 20-10-2011 by Vogelzang]
unsub
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2011 at 17:17

I love improvised lab equipment but have to agree that the plastics and the amount of work required make it not worth the effort unless you want a dedicated still for 1 specific reaction or you want to use recycled consumer goods. I use coffee pot jugs as beakers and got a nice little one today for 2.99.

I am pretty sure you can order glass from a private seller on ebay etc. I think you need a condenser a reaction flask and a couple splashheads but then you can scrounge everything else.
Bare minimum would be a flask and condenser in the old rubber stopper style. As opposed to ground glass.

Go To Top