Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sodium Phosphide
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 17-10-2011 at 12:59
Sodium Phosphide

I have been looking everywhere for the synthesis of sodium phosphide... just a sample for my lab- maybe make a video on it. I even... used the search function :o ! I can't find the synthesis withoout using an impossible to find phosphorus compound...

Would decomp. of TSP work? Or could I do something with phosphoric acid?

Thanks in advance!

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2011 at 18:52

No, you can't decompose TSP into sodium phosphide. You'd probably have to use metallic sodium and elemental phosphorus. It very easily hydrolyzes into phosphine (TOXIC!!!) and sodium hydroxide. If you want phosphine gas, get a bit of white P and boil it with sodium hydroxide (look on Woelen's site for details, http://woelen.homescience.net/science, there are also instructions to convert red P to white P )
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 17-10-2011 at 23:10
Calcium Phosphide

Calcium phosphide can be obtained by intense heating of calcium phosphate with carbon in a covered crucible, or by heating lime together with phosphorous in an iron pipe to a red heat.

The reactions are probably:

Ca3(PO4)2 + (8)C --> Ca3P2 + (8)CO

(6)CaO + (4)P --> Ca3P2 + Ca(PO3)2

Calcium phosphide reacts with water to produce highly poisonous phosphine gas, which will spontaneously ignite upon exposure to air.

Ca3P2 + (6)H2O --> (3) Ca(OH)2 + (2)PH3

Phosphine gas is oxidized by sulfur dioxide at room temperature, the reaction is best done in a chloroform solvent as otherwise the two gases may combust on contact:

(8)PH3 + (6)SO2 --> (12)H2O + P2S6 + P4

[Edited on 18-10-2011 by AndersHoveland]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 00:41

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
Calcium phosphide can be obtained by intense heating of sodium phosphate with carbon in a covered crucible, or by heating lime together with phosphorous in an iron pipe to a red heat.

The reactions are probably:

Ca3(PO4)2 + (8)C --> Ca3P2 + (8)CO

(6)CaO + (4)P --> Ca3P2 + Ca(PO3)2

Calcium phosphide reacts with water to produce highly poisonous phosphine gas, which will spontaneously ignite upon exposure to air.

Ca3P2 + (6)H2O --> (3) Ca(OH)2 + (2)PH3

Phosphine gas is oxidized by sulfur dioxide at room temperature, the reaction is best done in aqueous solution as otherwise the two gases may combust on contact:

(8)PH3 + (6)SO2 --> (12)H2O + P2S6 + P4

[Edited on 18-10-2011 by AndersHoveland]

Think you meant to say Calcium phosphate not sodium phosphate. I am so glad my brain is not the only one that does this on SCM while typing late at night.

The only two remotely similar reactions I know of for Na2P are:

Na2P + Cl6 + 2H2 = 4HCl + 2NaCl + P,
Na2P + 2H2 + 3Cl2 = 4HCl + 2NaCl + P.

You need someone good at this like Woelen to say if these reactions can be reversed, which would possibly be a route to Na2P?

From the page below is given Na3P, being not that familiar with Sodium Phosphide I am not sure why Na2P is listed on page 282 of "A Dictionary of Chemical Equations" the source of the two reactions I list above. Nowhere in this book does it indicate any reaction with Na3P in the equation so you will have to research this one. Meaning if Sodium Phosphide is Na3P then what is the name of Na2P?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_phosphide

This page leaves me wondering as below 3 the only other phosphide mentioned is NaP. I do not remember if phosphorus has a valence of one but two does not ring a bell for me either so it would take one of the better chemists here to straighten me out on that one. "In addition to Na3P, five other binary compositions of sodium and phosphorus are known: NaP, Na3P7, Na3P11, NaP7, and NaP15."; from the wiki page. My problem is I do not trust wiki completely and am inclined to believe my book as it was a good reference in it's day.

My not trusting wiki too much aside, I do not know why you did not start with google for sodium phosphide to get to the wiki page I link here, as in it is written the following:

"The first preparation of Na3P was first reported in the mid-19th century. French researcher, Alexandre Baudrimont prepared sodium phosphide by reacting molten sodium with phosphorus pentachloride.[4]

8 Na(l) + PCl5 → 5NaCl + Na3P

Many different routes to Na3P have been described. Due to its flammability and toxicity, Na3P (and related salts) are generally prepared in situ. White phosphorus is reduced by sodium-potassium alloy to give the phosphide salt.[5]

The conversion of white phosphorus to the phosphide has been well studied. Phosphorus reacts with sodium in an autoclave at 150 °C for 5 hours to produce Na3P. [6]

P4 + 12 Na → 4 Na3P ".

[Edited on 10-18-2011 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 01:32

"Na2P" was sometimes used as an early informal chemical abbreviation for disodium phosphate, even finding its way into actual use in equations. In such a case, the "P" may have actually meant phosphoric acid. Such ambiguity may have easily confused the compilers of such a dictionary.

I find it very doubtful that Na2P would have actually meant "disodium phosphide".

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 06:17

I've made it once by joining together white phosphorus and sodium. It's a messy reaction, and the compound produced can also make a mess.

AndersHoveland

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 06:27

Modern scientists believe the formula for Greek Fire may have contained calcium phosphide (which ignites on contact with water). The Greeks would have made the ingredient by heating together lime, bones, charcoal. Bones contain a high proportion of calcium phosphate. Lime (calcium oxide) is essentially roasted limestone.

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 06:41

That would mean the Greeks discovered phosphorus (or were close) long before the alchemists. Interesting theory

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 06:53

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
That would mean the Greeks discovered phosphorus (or were close) long before the alchemists. Interesting theory
The modern notion of "discovering an element" means isolating it in atomic form. Ancient chemists knew enough about transformation that they could know the presence of something like phosphorus without having isolated it.

An excellent case it point is zinc. The Romans had brass, zinc-copper alloys, without ever having metallic zinc. The smelted zinc-bearing ores directly in molten copper, presumably with charcoal. The zinc ore reduced and immediately dissolved in the molten copper. It wasn't until Paracelsus that humankind had isolated zinc, but it's incorrect to claim that this was the first knowledge of zinc. Rather, it was a new and important understanding of zinc, not new knowledge of its existence.
ThePhDChemist
banned

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 14:42

I know you won't believe this, but believe!
I found in supermarket "baking powder" near citric acid, sodium benzoate...
which contains: sodium bicarbonate, sodium diphosphide or sodium diphosphate - can't remember & starch, so this thread is closed...

[Edited on 18-10-2011 by ThePhDChemist]
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 14:55

Quote: Originally posted by ThePhDChemist  
which contains: sodium bicarbonate, sodium diphosphide & starch, so this thread is closed...

Yeah, and I found starch containing sodium cyanide, and chocolate bars with 5% added lead acetate for extra sweetness!

I know you won't believe this, but ...no, really. There's no buts here...

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
ThePhDChemist
banned

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 15:02

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
which contains: sodium bicarbonate, sodium diphosphide & starch, so this thread is closed...

Yeah, and I found starch containing sodium cyanide, and chocolate bars with 5% added lead acetate for extra sweetness!

I know you won't believe this, but ...no, really. There's no buts here...

:) You are making comedy, not me. Don't lie please.
When i seen that baking powder i said: "Oh, my god, why sodium diphosphide, isn't it poisonuos and unhealthy, this is first time i see this, but i did".
Please wait a couple days until i post a picture, then say something :P
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 15:10

dont-feed-the-troll.jpeg - 25kB
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 15:30

:) You are making comedy, not me. Don't lie please.
When i seen that baking powder i said: "Oh, my god, why sodium diphosphide, isn't it poisonuos and unhealthy, this is first time i see this, but i did".
Please wait a couple days until i post a picture, then say something :P

Yeah... Let's see what the Wikipedia article on sodium phosphide says:

Quote:

It should not be confused with sodium phosphate, Na3PO4.

[...]

Sodium phosphide is highly dangerous releasing toxic phosphine upon hydrolysis, a process that is so exothermic that fires result.

And what about the Wikipedia article on disodium hydrogen phosphate, Na<sub>2</sub>HPO<sub>4</sub>?

Quote:

It is a white powder that is highly hygroscopic and water soluble.[1] It is therefore used commercially as an anti-caking additive in powdered products.

Now you decide what is most likely.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
ThePhDChemist
banned

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 15:32

2 :D
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 16:58

If I was going to pick PhDChemist as a name I would want to be able to tell the difference between something which makes my shirts stiff and rat poison which would make my whole body stiff as a board for good.

mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 06:45

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
The modern notion of "discovering an element" means isolating it in atomic form. Ancient chemists knew enough about transformation that they could know the presence of something like phosphorus without having isolated it.

An excellent case it point is zinc. The Romans had brass, zinc-copper alloys, without ever having metallic zinc. The smelted zinc-bearing ores directly in molten copper, presumably with charcoal. The zinc ore reduced and immediately dissolved in the molten copper. It wasn't until Paracelsus that humankind had isolated zinc, but it's incorrect to claim that this was the first knowledge of zinc. Rather, it was a new and important understanding of zinc, not new knowledge of its existence.

Interesting, thanks. Greek and Roman technology was based on experience, not on science the way we know it.

ThePhDChemist was banned? Thank Christ!

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 07:11

Interesting, thanks. Greek and Roman technology was based on experience, not on science the way we know it.

ThePhDChemist was banned? Thank Christ!

A lot of early technology was based on experience and experiment.
It was only when we started to accumulate vast amounts of experience that we began to formulate rules that would predict the results of experiments that we have not performed yet.
Modern brewers have programmes that will predict the strength, colour and bitterness of a beer. But particular blends of malt and hops will produce something that is excellent while others will produce something that is only so so.
Science can help you produce the perfect pint but craft skills and a taste for beer is needed to make something outstanding.
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 07:11

Christ has hardly any credits for that. :D

On topic. If someone made the actual compound, what was its color? Mine was grayish, maybe a tinge of brown. Disgusting thing to look at, and smell, too.

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 08:20

No doubt you were smelling Phosphine from moisture in the air reacting with your sample.

On a side note I think our bodies are programmed to instinctively revolt at that which is deadly, a survival instinct.

mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 08:53

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
Christ has hardly any credits for that. :D

Hehe, just trying to vary profanities. Thank Thor wouldn't sound right

My theory (based on evolution) explains why amines, sulfides and short chain carboxylic acids smell so revolting. They are all products of decaying or putrid matter, things that would make us sick. Wolverines can eat 3 day old carcasses no problem, but humans can't even go out for chinese without some distress.

Phosphine won't occur in nature, so how does it smell revolting to us? Maybe it mimics other small molecules and fits in the same receptors. You also know its bad so you want to avoid it even though it is physically not that smelly

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 09:30

I haven't found it to be that revolting. For example, impure carbon disulphide is something that makes me want to run away vomiting, but phosphine is just weird and smelly. I wouldn't be surprised if genetics plays a significant role here, like in the case of PTC.

AndersHoveland

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 11:04

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
I wouldn't be surprised if genetics plays a significant role here, like in the case of PTC.

I strongly suspect this to be the case, although I have never read anything of such phenomena. For some reason, the smell from both skunks and the ammonium sulfide stink vials does not seem to smell very bad to me, hardly unpleasant, while the people around me express how bad the smells are. I have also eaten chicken roasted over a volcanic vent, which other people found hard to eat because of the impregnated flavor of hydrogen sulfide. To me, all these things merely like boiled eggs, or store-bought lemon juice concentrate. Slightly pungent, but hardly so much as garlic. Skunks smell a little musky in addition, but I just do not understand why it bothers other people so much. It is certainly not the case that I am insensitive to bad smells, many other things are unbearable to me (such as blue cheese).

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 12:29

You are missing the smell receptors for H2S due to genetics. Similarly some people cannot smell cyanide. I can smell both and so well it can be in the PPM, if not into the PPB range.

Actually I love the smell of cyanide. H2S is another story. Buteric Acid is worse still, if the wind is right I am almost retching from a dead animal over a half mile away. Even the slightest trace in meat tastes so bad I want to puke. This in meat others say is just fine. Go figure.

AndersHoveland

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 13:40

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
I love the smell of cyanide

Perhaps a perfume or body fragrance should be made.
It would probably be popular amongst the emo crowd. :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish my lawn grass was emo, so it would cut itself.

[Edited on 19-10-2011 by AndersHoveland]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top