Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What to do of my life? Answer faster!
ThePhDChemist
banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 02:21
What to do of my life? Answer faster!

I finished elementary school (8 grades), last 2 grades i had chemistry, i wasn't interested in that at that time.
Then I am now in high school 3th grade (there are 4 at all).
I am in electrotechnics school, but now somehow instantly (before 1 year) I completely lost interest in that school and I am interested fully in chemistry, I had chemistry in highschool in 1st grade, then i still wasn't interested. BUT now it completely interests me. Should I change school, which school is about chemistry best, i mean we don't have chemistry school......what is school for chemistry. Also I want to get a Ph.D in future. Help, faster! I want to make decision for a day or two. Yes I would like to get out of this school and start school about chemistry...
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 02:53

Why do u always double post?

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 02:55

Because he is in two minds about everything! :D
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 03:28

You should go and talk to the principal of your school and tell him what you would like to do and maybe he will have some good sugestions. Most of us here don't know much about your country or school system so your better off seeking advise localy.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 03:36

Get off this forum?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 04:07

Answerfast:D25?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 05:57

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Answerfast:D25?

He's still in shorts and already he considers himself a bit of a PhD Chemist. A career in astrology might be beckoning...:P

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 06:43

Oh, don't bash the poor man's dreams. :)

Croatia and BiH have a similar education system, so I might be able to help. Any "elektrotehnička škola" (electrical engineering highschool) in BiH that lasts for 4 years is a good backup for MFS (Mašinski fakultet; mechanical engineering).

If you want to study chemistry, the knowledge obtained in your school is not enough. I seriously doubt you've got enough of chemistry, biology and physics presented in the curriculum.
I think there's a single-study college in Sarajevo that deals with chemistry and it's called PMF (Prirodoslovno-matematički fakultet univerziteta u Sarajevu).
There might be programs such as "biology and chemistry", too. In that case, your knowledge is probably even smaller because biology is even less studied in such highschools.

When I was applying, we had entrance exams, but people in Croatia today finish highschools with a final exam on which they collect points and then apply to the college (Bologna system). I think BiH still uses the entrance exam system, but not for long, as the country is a candidate (or is currently applying) for EU. Be aware of that.

Not only you have to pass the exam, but you need to have enough points derived from your marks during the school like I had to. If your highschool's curriculum lacks certain subjects, the college probably won't even consider your application.

Quickly transfering to a "gymnasium" (preferably "prirodoslovno-matematička gimnazija") at your current, third year, while it's still autumn, might be the last train to catch, if that's possible at all. I don't know, you should check whether they allow that.
Education systems in both countries stems from an older, Yugoslavian system that didn't really allow people to jump between different schools. That meant that students that went to electrical engineering highschools were either:

a) good students that knew exactly what they wanted to to with their lives at the time they were finishing elementary school (that's hardly ever worked even in Yugoslavia, let alone today, in the age of Internet)
b) simply bad elementary students that considered electrical engineering to be the top of what they could achieve, which would later enable them to have lower-wage jobs.

It's simply an absolete system, and you're one of the unfortunate guys that's in the middle of the transitional period.

If you're really into chemistry (not bullshit pyro and "youtube chemistry") and are ready to work hard in a gymnasium (prirodoslovno-matematička or prirodoslovna, whichever is in Sarajevo), try to transfer.
But if it's just a short-termed fixed idea, I advise you to give up because you might considerably fuck up your early life.

[Edited on 18-10-2011 by Endimion17]

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 07:37

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
But if it's just a short-termed fixed idea, I advise you to give up because you might considerably fuck up your early life.

Considering his lately trolling spree, I would not even go as far as calling it a "short-termed fixed idea". It is just a delusional floating idea. Someone who has no clue about chemistry and goes around selling youtube delirium and spamming forums like he did recently, is unlikely to ever make it trough any college. It takes a minimum of reality check to do that.
I would also similarly suggest the poor guy to finish the school he started and trying to keep the teenager craziness more under control for that last year. At least this way he will not ruin his future. But since all this is probably just a continuation of the trolling, we are all pretty much just wasting time so that he can have his tiny bit of fun.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 08:00

Oh well... at least now you guys know the status of higher education system around here. :D
I mean, it's very strict and gives a great deal of knowledge, but it's not so flexible. You can't expect a kid finishing elementary school to know what to do with his life. That's insane. People finishing their colleges usually don't, let alone kids.

One way or another, if someone plans to continue his education, gymnasium is the best choice as it provides one with the most knowledge. There are 4-5 kinds of gymnasiums available.

After gymnasiums, there's college (or maybe it's better to say faculty, as it's "fakultet" in Croatian and Bosnian).
Croatia has entered a European system with 3+2 years (bachelor, master). After that, there's the PhD, which means 3 additional years.
Reaching PhD requires one to have not just the knowledge, but money, too. It's rather expensive.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 08:10

I mean, it's very strict and gives a great deal of knowledge, but it's not so flexible. You can't expect a kid finishing elementary school to know what to do with his life. That's insane.

I did, but I won't worry if you consider me insane. You would not be the only one.
DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 10:05

Post all posts in Whimsey. No, on second thoughts, Polverone might not allow you in. Try posting directly into Detritus.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 10:25

Quote: Originally posted by DerAlte  
Try posting directly into Detritus.

haha the first time I got on this forum I was wondering why there was no option to post there, then I read some of the posts... figured it out pretty quick.

Seriously though ThePhDChemist is a troll. Why hasn't he been banned yet?

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 10:47

What exactly is in whimsey?

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 10:53

Anything and everything pretty much.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Anything and everything pretty much.

Exactly that. Board for the discussion of non chemistry things of all topics. Have to ask Polverone to get in but as long as you have posted about 50 times you can get in.

Also, holy crap, International Hazard now?? :o
I don't deserve this title... well technically I do because its just a post counter :P but still don't feel like it.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 11:30

ahh, why do you need to ask polverone? if it just for randomness?

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 11:32

Im still a Hazard to others :( but soon in 10 posts ill be a National Hazard :D

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by Chemistry Alchemist  
ahh, why do you need to ask polverone? if it just for randomness?

I believe to prevent new people who would spam or troll this board from doing that. Once you have over 50 posts and you're not getting into trouble you're unlikely to try to cause trouble.

My YouTube Channel

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 12:06

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
I mean, it's very strict and gives a great deal of knowledge, but it's not so flexible. You can't expect a kid finishing elementary school to know what to do with his life. That's insane.

I did, but I won't worry if you consider me insane. You would not be the only one.

Thinking literally hardly ever pays off. Of course there are rare exceptions, but in most cases forcing a kid to pick a lifeline is just a way to fuck him up.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 12:12

Quote: Originally posted by DerAlte  
Post all posts in Whimsey. No, on second thoughts, Polverone might not allow you in. Try posting directly into Detritus.

Hey, Der Alte: long time no hear!

ThePhDChemist
banned

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 13:35

I don't understand you, where is double post??
Did you watch my 1st video, was it best video ever?:P
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 13:40

I watched it and you just keep telling more of what you are going to do, why don't you actualy do something

[Edited on 18-10-2011 by Steve_hi]
ThePhDChemist
banned

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 13:40

Oh, don't bash the poor man's dreams. :)

Croatia and BiH have a similar education system, so I might be able to help. Any "elektrotehnička škola" (electrical engineering highschool) in BiH that lasts for 4 years is a good backup for MFS (Mašinski fakultet; mechanical engineering).

If you want to study chemistry, the knowledge obtained in your school is not enough. I seriously doubt you've got enough of chemistry, biology and physics presented in the curriculum.
I think there's a single-study college in Sarajevo that deals with chemistry and it's called PMF (Prirodoslovno-matematički fakultet univerziteta u Sarajevu).
There might be programs such as "biology and chemistry", too. In that case, your knowledge is probably even smaller because biology is even less studied in such highschools.

When I was applying, we had entrance exams, but people in Croatia today finish highschools with a final exam on which they collect points and then apply to the college (Bologna system). I think BiH still uses the entrance exam system, but not for long, as the country is a candidate (or is currently applying) for EU. Be aware of that.

Not only you have to pass the exam, but you need to have enough points derived from your marks during the school like I had to. If your highschool's curriculum lacks certain subjects, the college probably won't even consider your application.

Quickly transfering to a "gymnasium" (preferably "prirodoslovno-matematička gimnazija") at your current, third year, while it's still autumn, might be the last train to catch, if that's possible at all. I don't know, you should check whether they allow that.
Education systems in both countries stems from an older, Yugoslavian system that didn't really allow people to jump between different schools. That meant that students that went to electrical engineering highschools were either:

a) good students that knew exactly what they wanted to to with their lives at the time they were finishing elementary school (that's hardly ever worked even in Yugoslavia, let alone today, in the age of Internet)
b) simply bad elementary students that considered electrical engineering to be the top of what they could achieve, which would later enable them to have lower-wage jobs.

It's simply an absolete system, and you're one of the unfortunate guys that's in the middle of the transitional period.

If you're really into chemistry (not bullshit pyro and "youtube chemistry") and are ready to work hard in a gymnasium (prirodoslovno-matematička or prirodoslovna, whichever is in Sarajevo), try to transfer.

[Edited on 18-10-2011 by Endimion17]

Oh, can I "nadoknaditi" chemistry and all stuff needed for PMF while still going to my school, by learning from books & internet?
ThePhDChemist
banned

[*] posted on 18-10-2011 at 14:55

Aha, I did not do that! That is admin's mistake, they said they moved my thread but actually they copied! I will report admin to the admin :D

[Edited on 18-10-2011 by ThePhDChemist]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top