Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What to do of my life? Answer faster!
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 07:08

No big loss, I'm glad that the moderators weed out some of the obvious nutcases from time to time, makes for a much more pleasant experience being on this board.

That PHD kid was quite immature and yes, probably a bit fuzzy between the ears. These "characters" are humorous for a while, then become rather annoying, contributing nothing positive to the forum. It is our privilege and duty to guide new members into the great hobby of home chemistry, when they are respectful, smart and a bit resourseful (using the search engine goes a long way).

This poor kid was none of the above. Good riddance, and I hope any version/incarnation of this type of member gets shown the door promptly!

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 12:15

It's such a relief that he's gone. He caused quite a stir on the forum from the beginning.

On the other hand, I'm really glad that the moderators seem to be quite tolerant of beginners. As a beginner (a few months ago) I would probably have been kicked out if moderators were a tad less patient.

As a beginner, I never thought that the subjects such as making H2O2, H2SO4, nitrate salts, chlorates etc... had been discussed to death on this forum beforehand. I ended up repeating many of the subjects that had been discussed before.

This is just a suggestion, but it would be nice if some threads could fall under sub-categories. Some subjects just keep surfacing over and over again as new members sign up to the forum (e.g. making H2SO4, HNO3, HCl, chlorates, perchlorates, zinc sulfide glow powder, permanganates, making alkali metals, making magnetic stirrers, fumehoods, furnaces, foundries etc...). It would probably relieve the administrators and give beginners a good place to start. It's a little ridiculous that there are 50 different threads on how to make anodes. It makes finding info very difficult for beginners.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 13:28

Yeti, it would be nice if this whole forum would get a thorough cleaning inside out. Also, there are some things SM lacks, and proper forums do, like an infraction/penalty system. "You live" and "you die" is a brutally stupid system that promotes constant smoke-emitting trolling (I think we all know a couple of forumers under that category), and destroys people that could've been a nice part of the forum (probably not the author of this thread, though).

White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 15:22

You're right Endimion, I wouldn't mind if this forum had a thorough and exhaustive cleaning, not only of trolls, but also of useless posts and threads. I'm sure we all posted things that we shouldn't have. I personally wish I could delete some of the threads I started in the past that have turned out to be something short of embarrassing disasters, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It would be nice if we could move our own posts and threads to "detritus".

I just had an idea I really wanted to throw out there:
One way that the forum could be cleaned would be to organise one week where we would have the freedom of editing any of our previous threads, moving our threads to another, more suitable category or deleting them entirely. Then, there could be another two weeks where we could edit or delete any posts that are not relevant to the threads. Alternately, we could each be assigned a certain amount of time to edit based on the number of posts we have contributed to the forum.

It's just an idea I had, it might work, or not. In a perfect world, this would work smoothly, and the forum would be much leaner and free of clutter.
What do you think?
Feel free to criticise.;)
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 17:06

Thread originators are often not actually the best candidates to edit 'their' threads. Anyway, I think in practice this would result in

- (mostly) no change, as most people would not care to go to the effort of cleaning up their threads
- mutilation of a few existing threads that happened to be owned by troublemakers or just highly opinionated people
- some cleanup

Speaking for myself, I'd want to download an archival copy before any such action was taken.

Quote:
we could each be assigned a certain amount of time to edit based on the number of posts we have contributed to the forum.

An edit clock would result in hasty editing, no? Also, it is unwise to offer much in the way of incentives to maximize post count. It's not *hard* to run up your post count and giving some motivation to do so I think some people would end up dropping the post quality even further.
I think that if a cleanup seemed desirable a more sensible approach would be to solicit volunteers, then have the existing moderators delegate threads for cleanup to people as needed. However, I personally think that this is a waste of time. It's true that the clutter is occasionally annoying, as for example when you want to review all the info in some thirty page thread; but most of the time it's out of sight, out of mind. If you want something that is constantly subject to improvement on all fronts, then a wiki would be a better format .

White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 18:14

I see.

It's sad though that whenever looking for information, one has to plow through arguments, irrelevant info, incorrect information etc...

"If you want something that is constantly subject to improvement on all fronts, then a wiki would be a better format."

That would be ideal. I understand that this is a forum, a place for discussion, interaction and cooperation and nothing more. But it almost seems like sometimes words are wasted on this forum. Most of the time, a thread is opened, people read it, comment and answer, argue, criticise, and then the thread fades away and sinks to the bottom of the page, until someone sees it and brings it back to the top again.

This amounts to almost nothing constructive, because although the thread and all the information posted on it still exists, it's not very easy to retrieve, review and improve. The search function works, but information is still scattered and difficult to retrieve.

The idea of a "wikipedia" created by SciMad members is a little odd, I have to admit (no use re-inventing the wheel), but it's possible, Bromic acid got closer than anyone else.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 21-10-2011 at 02:48

Yeti, that would be a bad idea. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. ;)

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 16:10

While the original post is actually a relevant question, I think the rest of this thread should be moved to detritus, or at least to forum matters.

For more of the PhDChemist's antics, you can see
http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=WvwDeuMPeZE

Here are some choice exerts:
Quote:

ThePhDChemist :
It looks like science madness is a group of chemists that don't know anything better than me. For example still none one the sciencemadness didn't answer about solid hydrogen peroxide, potassium carbonate.... All themes are actually stupid...almost all. And all people on Youtube are boring except me. Everyone records same videos about potassium nitrate, nitric acid, thermite.....
I will prove that when i post my first video about making ammonia from urine using urease enzyme...

TheBot0nist :
PhDChemist, you are an ignorant kewl and the epiphany of a troll. Your knowlage of chemistry is so lacking that ot really is pathetic. You go around the net spamming you "revolutionary" YouTube channel and claiming your a master chemist, then you go about posting questions and comments on SciMad that proves you know absolutely nothing in regards to even the most basic principles of chemistry. You are such a sad joke. A f%$&ing pair of clown shoes.

ThePhDChemist :
No, I am not a Ph.D. But that is just my Youtube name, because I think i deserve it because i will post super videos, maybe on Monday or Tuesday 1st real video.
I just want you to review my channel before Tuesday....I am really sorry, but I promise!

99Chemicals:
if you are lieing which is highly posible i will take back my subscribtion and give it to some one that proves that they diserve it!

I was laughing my head off the first few minutes, but it got boring real quick. It sounds like the exerts from a bunch of retarded people stuck together in a room. Sounds like a bunch of adolescent boys with over-vulnerable egos.

[Edited on 30-12-2011 by AndersHoveland]
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 16:30

I soon posted an apology for flaming, AH. It was a rough week for me and he annoyed the piss out of me on here, and on my YT channel.

Quote:

I'm sorry I was a dick. Just hamy gallbladder out. Keep working toward your dream. Be modest And don't be afraid to admit your still learning. Don't spam, and post some actual videos. Good luck on your project PhD.

TheBot0nist 2 months ago

[Edited on 30-12-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top