Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: dechlorinating 1,4-Dichlorobenzene
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 07:24

Quote: Originally posted by Chemistry Alchemist  
I'm sorry if we have already discussed this and sorry if it's wrong..l I'm just guessing.... Blame the caffeine if I'm wrong :P would NaOH have any effect to 1-4 Dichlorobenzene? Would it produce chlorobenzene or not? Just a random thought...

How about reading the whole thread and the reference bbartlog so kindly provided you?
Instead of cluttering the forum with random thoughts, start reading literature.
naf
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 10:26

though it wouldn't be the highest yeild and you'd likely get some wierd byproducts, refluxing 1,4-dichlorobenzine in NaOH would produce Hydroquinone, or 1,4-hydroxylbenzine as its major product and NaCl. Extract the NaCl, then refluxing Hydroquinone with an excess of a strong acid like H2SO4 in an aqueous soln should produce benzine.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by naf  
though it wouldn't be the highest yeild and you'd likely get some wierd byproducts, refluxing 1,4-dichlorobenzine in NaOH would produce Hydroquinone, or 1,4-hydroxylbenzine as its major product and NaCl. Extract the NaCl, then refluxing Hydroquinone with an excess of a strong acid like H2SO4 in an aqueous soln should produce benzine.

Not a chance.
1,4-Dichlorobenzene is not going to react with aqueous alkali at all.
Hydroquinone will not form benzene on refluxing in acid either.
SteveJones
Harmless

Mood: Stable

[*] posted on 22-12-2011 at 15:25

First off, using 1-4, dichlorobenzene to make benzene is not especially practical nor I imagine, especially cost effective. You should consider the dry distillation of sodium benzoate with hydroxide methods on this forum. Yields are generally pretty good and it can be done on a relatively large scale. Reducing dichlorobenzene simply isn't practical. If you really must then you might consider forming the double-Grignard product by addition of magnesium, then quench with water or ammonium chloride solution.
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 23-12-2011 at 18:48

what about a samarium iodide reduction with HMPA ?
it works through an organometal intermediate.

Samarium can be obtained from rare earth magnets
but probably better pure and reacted with iodine in THF
or some other ether to form the iodide.

both are available on ebay :).

damb AndersHoveland beat me too it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samarium-Vacuum-Packed-Dendritic-...

[Edited on 24-12-2011 by Ephoton]

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 01:22

Phenol is made by reacting C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>5</sub>Cl + NaOH = C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>6</sub>O + NaCl

This is a easy reason. All we need to do is react it with a strong base... sodium hydroxide so that's what we will use....

..Start by getting a round bottom flask and set up for heating, now place in 39.99 grams of Sodium Hydroxide and add to that 112.55 grams of Chlorobenzene. heat the 2 chemicals together... Once complete, take it off heat and let it evaporate or continue boiling until dry. Now we have 2 products, Sodium Chloride and Phenol... now you should have a reasonably pure Phenol...

Its not that easy,read the last paragraph of this wiki article about dow's process
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_process

but you can make benzene from 1,4 dichlorobenzene using raney nickel in alkaline medium
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14054&...

[Edited on 3-1-2015 by CuReUS]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top