Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Separation of 2-bromo-3-methylthiophene and the corresponding 5-bromo isomer
SmashGlass
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 15:08
Separation of 2-bromo-3-methylthiophene and the corresponding 5-bromo isomer

I've been working on preparing bromothiophenes for a while now. The particular problem I am working on involves 2-bromo-3-methylthiophene. The bromination, using NBS, always gives mixed products. I have experimented with many solvents, temperatures and rates of addition for the NBS. Presently the optimized procedure gives the desired product around 88% to 90% but the 2,5-dibromo and 5-bromothiophene products are present to minor extents as well as some starting material. The best method for analysis, I have found, is GC-MS.
While separation of the starting material and the 2,5-dibromothiophene bye-product is possible using silica gel chromatography, and or reverse phase chromatography I have had limited success with separating the two brominated isomers. I have tried vacuum distillation without luck thus far, working with 10g scale test batches. From this I would assume their boiling points are very close, as one might expect.
The best result I have been able to achieve thus far is down to approximately 4 to 5% of the 5-bromo-3-methylthiophene (by GC). Ideally, I would like to obtain a clean sample of the minor isomer for analytical purposes to compare against the major isomer (physical properties, NMR, IR, etc...).

If anyone can offer some insight into improvements on separation for these types of compounds I would be most appreciative. I would like to use a vacuum distillation process as I feel this could offer the best solution as I would like to have a reasonable quantity to use for analysis. I guess a longer distillation column and testing rasching rings, plates etc... could be avenues of investigation. Ultimately I could go for repeated UHPLC runs, but my sanity is also at stake then.
:o

Again. Any useful contributions or musings would be appreciated.

- SmashGlass -

3-methylthiophene_Br.jpg - 24kB

If it ain't broke don't fix it....
Now where are my screwdrivers? ;)

Go To Top