Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Detonation Gases of Organic Peroxides
Backyard Blaster
Harmless

Mood: Neurotic

[*] posted on 4-4-2004 at 10:05
Detonation Gases of Organic Peroxides

Perhaps this is a simple question, perhaps not. I've noticed a big difference in the odors produced, when AP detonates or deflagrates (burns with a flame and WHOOSH!). When deflagrated, it smells kind of like butane/propane/some hydrocarbon. When detonated, it produces a very pungent odor that is not pleasant to breathe at all. Exactly what gases are released during each of these two reactions, and what other factors are involved? (chemicals used, etc).
Just curious.
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 4-4-2004 at 10:22

I am not sure about the answer but being peroxides containing carbon, hydrogen and oxygen organic peroxides should deflagrate in air to form carbon monoxide, which burns completely to form CO2 and water. On deflagration I note a yellow flame showing the presence of incomplete combustion. I doubt there could be formation of other hydrocarbons because the enthalpy change produced during combustion would be enough to burn any forming hydrocarbon.

That is just a guess.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2004 at 15:11

A couple of thoughts.
Explosions do not always give complete combustion (engine exhausts are the best known case of this).
Explosions often run rather hot, it is quite possible that various oxides of nitrogen get made and these don't smell too good.
Backyard Blaster
Harmless

Mood: Neurotic

[*] posted on 4-4-2004 at 16:05

I've also noticed that any materials near the detonated AP, tend to retain the odor for some time (hours or even days, depending on how close they were). Maybe it's the result of trace acid in the final product or something.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 17:22

Indeed, I noticed the same, HMTD and AP both leave a smell that is very distinct - not entirely unpleasant.
Obvioulsly reaction is not 100% complete, else you wouldnt smell anything.
Obvious candidates for those products are HCN, CO, and derivatives, plus (less likely) candidates such as CH2O, NH3 (and derivatives) etc.
Nonethless I cant think of any products that would leave this slightly pungent, charged (I can't find a better word) odour...

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top