Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: how brittle is platinum wire?
beergod
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-11-2011 at 17:11
how brittle is platinum wire?

I need some platinum wire for a gel electrophoresis project. It will be at high voltage and very low current so I can use basically any size.

What is the smallest size platinum wire I should use if it needs to be bent and also may get bent during use? I need a cheap wire but it needs to stand up to getting bent around a little bit.

Also what do you guys think of 80/20 platinum/iridiu​m alloy wire that is all over the place on ebay? How inert is this under normal conditions compared to pure platinum?

[Edited on 16-11-2011 by beergod]

[Edited on 16-11-2011 by beergod]
aaparatuss
Harmless

Mood: questing

[*] posted on 15-11-2011 at 20:58

i bought some pure platnium wire
and it will take a bend to shape, coil etc....

not i did not yet bend back and forth to test a break point though...

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 15-11-2011 at 23:10

Platinum wire is very malleable, it bends easily and doesn't really work harden, as in break after repeated bends. I would not add a variable into an experiment unless you knew it's affect, in which case it's no longer a variable. Lol. So just get the pure wire.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-11-2011 at 23:51

Pure platinum wire can easily be bent and then it remains in the shape in which you are bending it. Bending it back and forth repeatedly causes the wire to break.

Slightly better is a 95%/5% Pt/Ir alloy. This can be bent, but it acts like a spring and tends to bend back. This can be done as often as you want. You can also bend the wire further, such that it becomes permanent. However, from this new permanent shape it also can be bent somewhat and then bends back to its last permanent shape when force is released.

[Edited on 16-11-11 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top