Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Alchemy Brand Glass?
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 30-11-2011 at 20:02
Alchemy Brand Glass?

Has anyone ever heard of Alchemy brand lab glass? Is it of good quality? Im looking at buying a distillation setup, and this is one of the brands I am looking at. One of the others is Laboy glass, which from what I've heard is decent.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 09:56

I'd not heard of Alchemy glassware, but I found this.
Not exactly confidence-inspiring!

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 10:22

Ugh whats with all the "alchemy" nonsense recently?

I believe the poster is referring to the Canadian glassware on eBay. Laboy is Chinese and you might have to import it.

United Glass Tech is American and they have a really good quality distillation kit.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 15:22

The site hissing noise linked to is something nutty and different then Alchemy. I have a lot of Alchemy glassware and the quality is much better then the Pyrex stuff that I have. They are based in Ontario IIRC.

The flasks I've received are absolutely flawless (leaps and bounds cheaper then Pyrex or Kimax), their condenser joints have no bubbles or inclusions and the glass is the perfect whitish borosilicate colour that it should be.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Alchemists-Laboratory-Supply?_trksid=p...

http://www.alchemylabsupply.com/

[Edited on 1-12-2011 by Neil]
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 16:06

Quote: Originally posted by Neil  
The site hissing noise linked to is something nutty and different then Alchemy. I have a lot of Alchemy glassware and the quality is much better then the Pyrex stuff that I have. They are based in Ontario IIRC.

The flasks I've received are absolutely flawless (leaps and bounds cheaper then Pyrex or Kimax), their condenser joints have no bubbles or inclusions and the glass is the perfect whitish borosilicate colour that it should be.

[Edited on 1-12-2011 by Neil]

Thanks, thats good to know

Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 05:19

Good source for us canucks, thanks for the tip. Didn't know about them. I placed a "test" order to see what they're about.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 08:05

I'm sure the glass is fine, but their Friedrich condenser and 3 way adapters look a little weird. They have tons of bottles and flasks though!

Real alchemy is fine I guess. It would be neat having an oldskool retort and alembic

Gammaray1981
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 15:23

I have a set of Laboy glassware, it's perfectly good quality - no chips, cracks, inclusions, bubbles or anything similar; I checked carefully before subjecting it to vacuum. I've never heard of these 'Alchemy' people, however.
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 10:29

Here's a small update on the order I made at Alchemy Glassware.

It wasn't expensive, so I ordered a 600ml beaker, a 100ml graduated cylinder and a 14/23 vacuum adapter. $32 all taxes and shipping included.

On the good side, the order arrived quickly, shpping fee was quite reasonable and the labware was very well packaged.

But (and there always a but somewhere)... the beaker looked quite dirty so I washed it thoroughly only to discover several scuff marks and scratches on the surface... A deep scratch just left of the pouring spout. Even though the glass looks quite thick, I wouldn't use this for boiling or any critical stuff.

The graduated cylinder seems accurate, but was quite dirty and even a thorough wash with a brush and then a sponge, still looks "stained" inside. I'll treat it with a bit of HCl eventually, hoping this won't dissolve the brown graduation marks off.

Finally, the adapter looked okay and fit adequately the ground joints of my mini condenser and flasks (with plenty of grease), but the ground glass surface was very very rough, felt more like sandpaper thant the smooth pyrex ground joints.

Let's say that I can't ask for miracles with the price I paid but I was a bit disappointed with the pieces I acquired... and what's up with their selection? They seem to have plenty of formats in the beaker/cylinder/adapters category but nearly no flasks at all... Many categories just have a blank page... hmmm.

Robert

mr.crow
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 11:08

Sounds like you should avoid them. Maybe try and contact them?

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 12:02

Their site does have some blank pages, but for the basic flasks, their prices are very reasonably priced, they have thermometers available, and even some of the fancy glassware has good prices. For people in Canada, that appears to be a reasonable option, especially for beakers and simple flasks. Some of their prices are cheaper than I can imagine borosilicate glassware selling for. But for basic work, it looks like a good option.

Bob
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 12:28

That sounds disheartening :( .

Arthur Dent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 05:05

@ Dr. Bob, I agree, as I mentioned, it is an inexpensive source, so pretty good for people starting in hobby chemistry. But don't expect Buchi or Adams & Chittenden quality glassware, because it ain't!

The graduated cylinder I bought is finally clean after a bit of dilute HCl, and I polished the ground glass ends of my 14/23 vac adapter with some 000 sandpaper, a much better fit with vacuum grease now.

But the scratched beaker is still a mystery, it's supposed to be brand new, there shouldn't be deep scratches ans numerous scuff marks on it? it's like it's been dragged through sand, or something abrasive rubbed on it. Oh well, it's still useable as a receiving flask.

Robert

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 06:44

That's really disappointing all the stuff I've gotten thus far has been amazing.

I'd send it back and request a new one.

The selection on their website sucks but they have a full line on Ebay.
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 09:24

No need for that Neil. Aside from that flawed beaker, my order arrived in time, was well packaged and was quite inexpensive.

Sending back the beaker would be more trouble for me than just buying another one at my local surplus labgear shop. I wouldn't give them grief because of a few scratches, but I will be careful to mention that situation and ask them to double-check my order for flaws next time I put out an order to them.

I just wish they would update their website because my most pressing need is a few RBFs with small ground glass joints.

Robert

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 10:41

I suppose if you are happy, I have been in contact with them and if you get in touch with them it seems they will be more then happy to rectify the situation.

I do wish they would update their site but if you check out the stuff they have listed on Ebay (I posted the link above) you could likely order it from the site via emailing them. I've sent them emails asking if they have this or that, in the past, and have always gotten fast replies.
alchemylab
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 13:26

@ Arthur Dent (Robert)

Sorry to hear about your order not turning out so well, i will be happy to do whatever i can to ensure you are satisfied,

We have sold lots of product with good feedback, unfortunately mistakes are made, and we are more then willing to correct them,

email me at info@alchemylabsupply.com and we can further discuss the issue,

- saro
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2011 at 04:20

Hi Saro, welcome to the forum!

And thanks for your concern. your reply is appreciated. There are many canucks on this board, I am from Montreal and have over the years built myself a nice little glassware collection for my hobby chemistry.

Always a good to find a new resource for labware at reasonable prices North of the border. I do need a few RBFs with 14/23, 19/26 and 24/40 joints, and i've noticed you carry thermometers. I'll probably order some more stuff between xmas and the new year.

Don't worry 'bout the beaker, I'll use it as a recipient for crystallisation and stuff like that. Beakers are probably the piece of labware most often replaced because they're used a lot.

Looking forward to your latest website updates! :D

Robert

alchemylab
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 05:43

Hi Robert,

thanks for your response, we can definitely help you out with that, just shoot me an e-mail with your your inquiry and i will do the best i can to fill it,

I will have some time to make some updates on the site between Christmas and New Years,

Regards

saro
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 12:44

I'm considering ordering some glass-ware from these folks. Looks high-quality and I'd love to support something more local rather then china(when the price is right). Although there appears to be some pricing/item availability discrepancies between the ebay store verses the web-store.

For example,
shipping on ebay costs 15$ while shipping on the web-store is 18.
A sold-out 300mm graham condenser on the main store, is listed on ebay.
The 105* adapter is not listed on their ebay but is on their main-site.

Which unfortunately these are the two items I need.

Not too shabby looking though, it's just so hard to find a one-stop shop, considering the costs of shipping glass. Also wish there was a reasonably priced 10/30 penny-head stopper anywhere!

[Edited on 8-1-2012 by smaerd]

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 19:07

Drop them a line, they often have one thing updated but not the other. I noticed their vacuum portex receiver is roughly 80 degrees instead of 75. It does not specify the angle on the web site for the vacuum receiver, just a heads up.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 16:50

does any one know what number pertains to 10/30 penny head stopper? some sellers have a given number for stoppers,for example# 24 would be 24/40 and #19 is 19/22 etc.. i have seen #9 and is close to 10/30 but have not seen any #10. thank you.
Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 18:38

That method of distinguishing stoppers with regards to ground glass fittings is wrong. For example, the bottom diameter of a #7 rubber stopper I have is roughly 30 mm, which is quite big.
Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 18:56

On the other hand though i just saw a PTFE stopper on on of my thick walled test tubes labeled 13. Maybe the system used for rubber stoppers is different? By the way the PTFE stopper has a bottom diameter of 12 mm, but the first ring has a diameter of 13 mm so the number indicator is most likely related to the stopper's diameter in the case of the PTFE stopper but not the rubber stopper.

Anyone know something about this?
edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 19:28

I've gotten a dozen or so pieces from Alchemy, good price, shipping etc, (I'm in Ontario) but I was a bit disappointed by a few of the 24/40 joints, the taper seems off and they wobble, only contacting or "sealing" at the bottom not giving much surface area for the grease to seal. I don't have much experience so I'm not sure how much tolerance is normal, but some of the other mainstream brand 24/40 glassware I have seems to fit *perfectly* ... so FYI I guess.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top