Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Refining mercury from cinnabar
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 08:08

This is the closest that YouTube (aka chemistry school for some) was able to find:

http://youtu.be/znQh7m2mkiQ
Texium
Administrator
Thread Untopped
22-12-2015 at 07:41
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 12:37

Is cinnabar rly that expensive?!

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 12:45

Is it rly necessary to bump a lot of old threads that have been inactive for years with useless one liners that add nothing interesting to the discussion?

Answer: no

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Johnny Windchimes
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sorry, it's my chimes~!

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 15:32

My turn....

I looked through the whole thread and didn't see this electro process mentioned, so here it is:

I have successfully done this several times. First with 50 grams of Cinnabar from eBay, all the way up to 2 kilograms (stuff is 8.1 g/cm3; dense!).

Get yourself a 2 amp / 20 volt DC power supply and you're off!

My recommendations:

-Use two platinum electrodes. Needs to be made of something that both wont dissolve in the electrolyte, nor amalgamate with the elemental Hg.

-PURE tungsten welding electrodes are also a great choice, as tungsten does not form amalgams either. I have not personally used tungsten but if I do this again I shall try them. Try automotive supply and welding shops.

-CAREFULLY powderize (as best you can) the cinnabar. This can make dust thats obviously super bad to breath and bad in general to spread around. Mortar and pestle make a HUGE cloud in my experience; I used a small coffee grinder but that makes even smaller airborne "smoke" almost size dust particles when its opened.....

-Once its (cinnabar powder) in the mix of NaOH and sulphide, give it LOTS of time to dissolve into solution. Lots of stirring. After it has (or as much has dissolved as is going to), filter it with a coffee filter and a funnel. If you don't, the junk left over (impurities in the cinnabar, etc) can amalgamate with the newly formed Hg metal, and it just makes for a cleaner prep.

-Use a secondary containment device. I put the entire electro setup into a nice and big ol' plastic bin in case any spills happened.

Enjoy, because it does work!

Attachment: US1718103 - Cinnabar electrolysis to Hg - Copy.pdf (213kB)
This file has been downloaded 276 times Stoichiometry Calculations for Hg Metal via Electrolysis of HgS (Cinnabar) - Copy.png - 60kB

[Edited on 8-10-2020 by Johnny Windchimes]

~Incredibly profound and/or wise quote goes here~
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2020 at 13:48

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
This is the closest that YouTube (aka chemistry school for some) was able to find:

http://youtu.be/znQh7m2mkiQ

Very old post but can someone explain how this works? I'm just starting to read on this process but it seems it has to run at very high temperatures... but glass can't withstand 600C+?
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top