Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Analogue photography - a declining but immortal practice
JibbyDee
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 07:22
Analogue photography - a declining but immortal practice

It makes me sad that digital cameras pretty much phased analogue photography out of existence by the time I got into chemistry. I find photochemistry fascinating so I've been learning about it lately and I'm now aware of the plethora of exotic (exotic to me at least) compounds used in the dark room. What an excellent OTC source of reagents photography supply shops would have been back when there was no alternative analogue photography. There are photography supply shops online but its not the same thing as a nice, convenient, walk in the door shop. However, many photography enthusiasts still practice analogue photography for numerous reasons, especially when it comes to alternative (alternative to the conventional argyrotype methods) methods. I personally like the idea of controlling the chemical composition of a photograph I made and find dark room chemistry fascinating. For example to intensify a latent image you can add different heavy metals such as mercury which form a complex with the elemental silver so you end up with a photograph containing particles of silver-mercury complex. I'm sure photography enthusiasts who run supply shops want to keep analogue photography alive too so they would probably be happy to stock darkroom chemicals.

The biggest photography supply shop in my city supposedly stocks supplies for alternative photography process so I'm going to see if they'll order various compounds in for me. I really want to see the photoreduction of silver bromide for myself so I'm going to ask them to order in some silver nitrate and potassium bromide for me. Have any of you here asked your local photography supply shop to order in dark room chemicals for you?
JibbyDee
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 10:42

I emailed the photography supply shop and they said they can get these compounds for me.
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 14:09

I have tinkered with darkroom photography in the past, and it is very fun. The only problem is that sometimes getting a certain compound can be hard or expensive because the government continues to restrict and regulate chemicals to 'decrease' the amount of illicit drug use.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 23:40

There still are very nice photography supply shops. I myself also have done a lot of dark room processing and still sometimes do some experimenting.

Have a look at the following shop (which ships worldwide):

http://www.artcraftchemicals.com

This company has a good range of nice chemicals. Besides the chemicals they also have some films and printing papers. In the past they had a much wider range of papers and lots of well-designed complete developers, but due to the rise of digital photography that kind of material has become much less common. People nowadays are more on their own, needing to mix raw chemicals and needing to do some more experimenting before satisfactory results can be obtained.

[Edited on 8-12-11 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-12-2011 at 08:37

There is a photo supply business that used to sell KCN as a reducer. But they don't list it anymore.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top