Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reductive amination of aldehydes
getafix
Harmless

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 17:05
Reductive amination of aldehydes

such as piperonal with Al/Hg using 2-nitropropane as in situ amine source to create MDMA? Is this possible as a one-pot reaction?

Reductive amination of piperonal to MDA using nitroethane Al/Hg seems possible.

Alternatively, can piperonal be condensed with 2-nitropropane (ammonium acetate, methylamine etc) to acquire a nitropene that can be reduced using Al/Hg approach to obtain MDMA?

MDP2P can be created via piperonal and nitroethane (ammonium acetate condensation etc) to form the β-nitroisosafrole and then reacted with Fe/H+ to form MDP2P.

MDMA then requires MDP2P being reductively aminated with nitromethane to yield MDMA but this means another couple of steps...

Any input would be appreciated.

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 18:02

You are so far lost its not even funny to be quite honest.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 20:18

Personally I would just stick to the experiment instructions, seeing as it is something that would in theory be taken orally. If you have little to no background in chemistry you shouldn't be messing around with stuff like this (in theory of course).

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 20:29

Personally I would say stay away from trying to do what you are trying to do. You will either end up dead, in jail, or on the run. I have seen it over and over.

Its no shock to anyone here that I value ones ability to make and use there own mind altering substances but I do have issues with those that have no interest in chemistry taking up this off shoot of the hobby.

Go ahead it should work, reductively aminate BnO with Nitroethane. Just don't expect MDA for fuck sake. Know what the hell you are doing and you will stop giving people that like to experiment with there mind as much as they like to experiment with chemistry a bad name. People like you are more of my enemy then the DEA bitch!

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
turd
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 00:02

Quote: Originally posted by getafix  
such as piperonal with Al/Hg using 2-nitropropane as in situ amine source to create MDMA? Is this possible as a one-pot reaction?

This is not what is usually called "reductive amination".
Reductive amination of an aldehyde is
R-CHO + NH2 --> R-CH2-NH2
On piperonal this would yield 3,4-methylenedioxy-benzylamine. Not even close to what you want.

The reaction you propose is a condensation with 2-nitropropane and reduction. Unfortunately this cannot work. If possible at all the condensation will stop at the beta-nitro-alcohol step:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitroaldol_reaction
Reduction of that would give an alpha,alpha-dimethyl-beta-hydroxy-phenethylamine (see phentermine, ephedrine). Certainly not what you want.

Condensation with 1-nitropropane will also not yield MDMA, but the 4-carbon analogue of MDA (I think MDBD)

Quote:

Certainly possible, but that's not an reductive amination.

Quote:
Alternatively, can piperonal be condensed with 2-nitropropane (ammonium acetate, methylamine etc) to acquire a nitropene that can be reduced using Al/Hg approach to obtain MDMA?

No.

Quote:
MDP2P can be created via piperonal and nitroethane (ammonium acetate condensation etc) to form the β-nitroisosafrole and then reacted with Fe/H+ to form MDP2P.

Yes.

Quote:
MDMA then requires MDP2P being reductively aminated with nitromethane to yield MDMA but this means another couple of steps...

Actually the reductive amination is performed with methylamine, which is generated in situ from nitromethane. Could this be where your confusion comes from?

Generally N-substituted amphetamines cannot be obtained directly from benzaldehyde and nitroalkane. You will have to either methylate the amphetamine (e.g. via formamide) or go via the phenylacetone and then reductively aminate with an amine.

In any case - MDMA can be had "on the streets". If I had piperonal, I would go for MDA. :P

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by turd]
getafix
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 03:46

Quote: Originally posted by zoombafu  
Personally I would just stick to the experiment instructions, seeing as it is something that would in theory be taken orally. If you have little to no background in chemistry you shouldn't be messing around with stuff like this (in theory of course).

Obviously, that is why Rhodium is king. I'm trying to figure out if using 2-nitroproane and piperonal to create MDMA is possible. It is using various condensation with nitromethane and nitroethane and then a reduction step. The condensation and reduction can be carried out simultaneously in some instances...

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by getafix]

getafix
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 03:49

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Personally I would say stay away from trying to do what you are trying to do. You will either end up dead, in jail, or on the run. I have seen it over and over.

Its no shock to anyone here that I value ones ability to make and use there own mind altering substances but I do have issues with those that have no interest in chemistry taking up this off shoot of the hobby.

Go ahead it should work, reductively aminate BnO with Nitroethane. Just don't expect MDA for fuck sake. Know what the hell you are doing and you will stop giving people that like to experiment with there mind as much as they like to experiment with chemistry a bad name. People like you are more of my enemy then the DEA bitch!

Thanks for the rant. I was looking for useful input regarding the chemistry.
getafix
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 04:07

Quote: Originally posted by turd  
Quote: Originally posted by getafix  

This is not what is usually called "reductive amination".
Reductive amination of an aldehyde is
R-CHO + NH2 --> R-CH2-NH2
On piperonal this would yield 3,4-methylenedioxy-benzylamine. Not even close to what you want.

The reaction you propose is a condensation with 2-nitropropane and reduction. Unfortunately this cannot work. If possible at all the condensation will stop at the beta-nitro-alcohol step:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitroaldol_reaction
Reduction of that would give an alpha,alpha-dimethyl-beta-hydroxy-phenethylamine (see phentermine, ephedrine). Certainly not what you want.

Condensation with 1-nitropropane will also not yield MDMA, but the 4-carbon analogue of MDA (I think MDBD)

Quote:

Certainly possible, but that's not an reductive amination.

Quote:

No.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

Actually the reductive amination is performed with methylamine, which is generated in situ from nitromethane. Could this be where your confusion comes from?

Generally N-substituted amphetamines cannot be obtained directly from benzaldehyde and nitroalkane. You will have to either methylate the amphetamine (e.g. via formamide) or go via the phenylacetone and then reductively aminate with an amine.

In any case - MDMA can be had "on the streets". If I had piperonal, I would go for MDA. :P

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by turd]

Good stuff turd! :)

I was wondering if it would mbdb but that is created using 1-nitropropane and results in the ethyl group. Does the same still apply for 2-nitropropane? If the condensation step is carried out first followed by a reduction?

I will have a closer look at the link you posted. Thank you very much.

This is what I was after I think.

Once piperonal is condensed with nitroethane the resultant nitrostyrene can be directly reduced to MDA looking at the structures. I was hoping the same might apply for piperonal condensed with the nitropropane and then followed by the reduction using Al/Hg.

turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 12:27

Quote:
Does the same still apply for 2-nitropropane? If the condensation step is carried out first followed by a reduction?

No means no! :P And I was wrong - it's called BDB: http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal094....
Before asking the same question again, tell us what you expect at the place of the three question marks in the following picture:

x.png - 42kB
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
5-12-2011 at 12:46
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 13:35

This thread started like a vomit from a kewl and should end up in Detritus, but if turd wants to invest his time into hopeless pedagogic work I'll let it stay for a while (the time he needs to understand how hopeless his effort is).
getafix
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 14:06

Quote:
Does the same still apply for 2-nitropropane? If the condensation step is carried out first followed by a reduction?

No means no! :P And I was wrong - it's called BDB: http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal094....
Before asking the same question again, tell us what you expect at the place of the three question marks in the following picture:

Yes, I had come across BDB or J as the precursor to methyl-J or mbdb.

I was hoping it was going to be the corresponding nitrostyrene (nitropropene) that could be reduced to mdma using Al/Hg. I think I got confused by the condensation reaction involving nitromethane (as in 2CB synthesis) and the use of nitromethane during reductive amination of MDP2P. So thanks turd for your patience.

Nicodem: the very fact that nitropropane hadn't been used in mdma synthesis on any of the syntheses I have seen on Rhodium was a fairly big clue it wouldn't work. So I apologise if my attempt to make sense of why it wouldn't work upset you. Far better to live in ignorance apparently.

Anyway, I'm still smiling. Adios. ;)

ChemistryGhost
Hazard to Others

Mood: Supercooled :cool:

[*] posted on 30-7-2012 at 02:44

Quote:

You will end up with something similar to Phenylisobutylamine (α-ethylphenethylamine or AEPEA). Maybe?

Go To Top