Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MEK?
Megak
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 16:03
MEK?

Any way at all to obtain MEK with the exception of buying it from an organic dealer?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 16:51

Yeah, go to Shermin Williams, FinishMasters, etc and ask for methyl ethyl ketone. If they ask what you need it for, which they wont, say its to reduce/clean off some solvent borne polyurethane based industrial coating. It's like 89$ usd for 5 gallons in my neck of the woods (SE USA).

My work just recently switched gears and left me with 15+ gallons of MEK and 5 gallons of toluene for 50 bucks.:D

[Edited on 10-12-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Megak
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 17:29

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Yeah, go to Shermin Williams, FinishMasters, etc and ask for methyl ethyl ketone. If they ask what you need it for, which they wont, say its to reduce/clean off some solvent borne polyurethane based industrial coating. It's like 89$ usd for 5 gallons in my neck of the woods (SE USA).

My work just recently switched gears and left me with 15+ gallons of MEK and 5 gallons of toluene for 50 bucks.:D

I'm in NC, you'll have to tell me where you get all of your reagents. Thanks though, I'll have to look there! (If I can find a sherwin nearby....)

Side note, a small bottle of KCl (the no-salt, pure kind) cost 5 friggin dollars. I was widemouthed!
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 17:42

No-salt is expensive. Cheaper to just buy the potassium chlorate. Though, the thermal decomposition of NaClO and subsequent metathesis with KCl to precipitate KClO<sub>3</sub> is a fun synth, its not really economic.

I get nearly all my reagents from OTC sources. For hard to find stuff I use elementalscientific.net . They have great variety of reagents and are one of the few vendors geared toward the individual hobbyist.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Megak
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2011 at 11:06

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
No-salt is expensive. Cheaper to just buy the potassium chlorate. Though, the thermal decomposition of NaClO and subsequent metathesis with KCl to precipitate KClO<sub>3</sub> is a fun synth, its not really economic.

I get nearly all my reagents from OTC sources. For hard to find stuff I use elementalscientific.net . They have great variety of reagents and are one of the few vendors geared toward the individual hobbyist.

i knew about the decomp of naclo to get naclo3 and nacl, but i thought it was a bit impractical to separate the salt from the chlorate. i'm trying matches for chlorate, i think it'll be better price-wise and for purity.

I also thought of getting the morton's lite salt and getting rid of the nacl
Broken Gears
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 00:51

A quick google came up with www.stratlab.co.uk
We use it at work to clean industrial ink jets.

[Edited on 12-12-2011 by Broken Gears]
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 12:15

MEK is commonly sold as paint thinner. You may likely be able to find it in a "home improvement" or "hardware" store.
Megak
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 14:40

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
MEK is commonly sold as paint thinner. You may likely be able to find it in a "home improvement" or "hardware" store.

Hmm, I'll look into that. I thought they were all acetone.
MountainMan
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 15:54

I have found MEK, Acetone, Methanol, and Xylene at Home Depot.

All of the above plus Toluene at Ace and/or True Value hardware stores. Not every store has it but most seem to do.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-1-2012 at 07:43

I buyed many solvents thinners but there are no names written on them will you tell me how to find which one is what

Go To Top