Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thankyou polverone
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 05:43
Thankyou polverone

I just looked back through the forum matters posts.

Polverone you have done a suberb job over the years. Not one that you enjoy at times i imagine but you have remained vigilant and consistent in the face of emotion, inanity and drivel.

This forum is great now because of your work.

Thankyou so very much. It is utmostly appreciated.

Merry Christmas

Mark

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 05:56

Don't forget, sciencemadness will be over 10 years old in 2012, that's not only quality work, but staying power!

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 07:39

Bravo ! i am good friends of an elderly retired chemistry professor and she was awed by all the stuff i learned here. i tried to get her onboard here but she said she was too tired to learn about the internet. i am so blessed to have found this site, the old professor says my eyes light up when i speak chemistry and gave me an autographed book given to her from another chemist.she also signed it and wrote" as one chemist to another". me, a maintenance man. and to all a merry christmas.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 07:56

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  

Polverone you have done a suberb job over the years. Not one that you enjoy at times i imagine but you have remained vigilant and consistent in the face of emotion, inanity and drivel.

My sentiments exactly - the site was still in its swaddling when I joined and it's now something of a constant in my life!
Happy Holidays to All.

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 08:10

It has become a huge part of my "downtime" as well. Thanks Polverone. BTW, is the moniker supposed to be "cloud of dust?"(Italian?) For the longest time I pronounced it in my head as provolone, like the cheese. And Nicodem was Nicoderm, lol. I'm such a fool sometimes.

[Edited on 24-12-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 11:26

I am still pretty new to this forum, but from looking through posts I can see that this is a quality resource for any mad scientists out there. So I say thank you.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 14:27

Thank you!

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 16:35

P Patron saint of amateur chemistry
O Only he could herd this bunch of cats
L Laughs with us, not at us
V Vigilant at keeping us in line
E Endlessly patient in the face of seriously challenging personalities
R Real friend to many of us
O Old enough to know better, but still hosts this forum
N Never at a loss for the right words to calm it down
E Educates us in chemistry as well as decorum
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 18:02

This site will indeed be 10 years old soon; how a decade flies! In this decade many nations have predictably seen the regulatory ratchet move forward again on chemicals deemed useful to terrorists or black market drug manufacturers. Every substance that can be made with the approval and support of corporations and governments can also be made without it. The great work of "molecular jailbreaking" continues; every year sees more challenges met and more challenges to meet.

I have met only a few of you in person. Several more I have corresponded with. When we talk in private or face to face it is funny how we have a common experience of other members, even those members we have never met. Anyone can start a web site; it is the members here that make SM worth returning to.

I want to thank everyone who has ever shared interesting information or questions, given patient encouragement to new members, shared pictures or text of their experiments or procedures, tried to cool down flame wars*, shared a useful book or article, reported spam, or written one flattering sentence corresponding to each letter in my user name. I also want to give special thanks to my fellow moderators, who do a lot of work for no pay and keep me from being overwhelmed.

*Partial exception: if you flamed but were funny about it I probably laughed more than groaned even as I was sorting out how much material needed to move to Detritus.

[Edited on 12-25-2011 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 18:16

BWahaha Entropy - you sap.

I second the above sentiments and would like to add that while someone who isn't me has checked out other sites, this one wins in so many ways. Especially for it's intolerance of drivel and focus on actual meaningful research.

To Polverone and ALL the admins, mods and so on; Thank you for your tireless dedication, spam laser-ing, and tolerance of everything else.

SM has set a lot of bench marks with the combined efforts of its subscribers and even when it sometimes seems to be a bit more S&M then SM, the mods always keep the keel even (okay well mostly) and the focus on science (well often).

Good job and thank you all!

solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 25-12-2011 at 08:17

..... a most opportune time to give thanks to Polverone for his great commitment to keep this forum going. The Hive , and other forums have gone away but SM continues to provide a home for many ....solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 25-12-2011 at 09:20

Happy 10th Birthday ScienceMadness, and Mary Jesus day!
Thanks to Polverone for being the steady hand which made this site outlive other such sites in quality, focus and therefore age.

Also thanks to madscientist who, while diminished lately, directed me to this site from usenet groups.

I honestly don't think my interest in chemistry would have borne the fruit that it did for me without this inspiration.

Caveat Orator
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-12-2011 at 11:12

Quote: Originally posted by Ramiel  

I honestly don't think my interest in chemistry would have borne the fruit that it did for me without this inspiration.

So true for me also. I had planned to take up home chemistry as a hobby upon my retirement, but would be light-years behind without this forum. Praise be to Polverone and the other moderators for maintaining such an excellent forum!

I think it is obvious from my post count what a significant factor this forum is to my golden years. I have been a member now for 9 years as of next month. When I first discovered this forum I had no idea how important it would be to me - I was just looking for a way to make sodium at home. I was, and still am, impressed by the talent displayed here. I really miss the contributions of some of the early contributors who are no longer active. But then, new talent always seems to show up, and the high quality that I have come to expect continues. This, in large part, is due to the masterful guidance of Polverone.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2011 at 17:32

Ahem! It's kind of my birthday too - I've been talking mostly pure shite on this forum of forums for all of nine short years now . . .
And though neuronal function is a bit erratic still, I just have to ask that age-old question; . . . where in the name of fuck does the time go?
And yes, some of my bombastic utterances have have raised a few hackles from time to time, but I'm not one to be taken seriously - all of you are friends of mine from post one!
Sooo then, what do we really know of this enigmatic Mr Matthew Ernst, anyway?
I would suggest that becoming familiar with this, his (and I'm not forgetting your contribution, madscientist) creation, and perusing his posts for the sharpness of wit and the understated humour they contain will give you the measure of the man!
He wears his deserved pride with an air of complete nonchalance!
But then, isn't that just how these people are?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 04:28

My ingratiating tone is making me cringe right now, but what the hell . . .

Go To Top