Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: iodoacetone
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 12:47
iodoacetone

just made some iodoacetone today... lots of close call on that topics without ever been spot on.....i think

i distilled 0.3 g of iodine with 80 ml of acetone and a drop of HCl....
the first pic is before
and the resulting tear gas...
yes it is a tear gas
quite potent i might add....
iodine coms add itself on the end of the propanone molecule to make just like chlorine and bromine a tear gas .
this one doesnt smell like anything but trust me when i tell you ..IT HURTS!
lots of threat on the subject i know but some how never quite spot on .
everybody has cleaned iodine stain with acetone .
it works great yes ...BUT whoever has done so knows the painful feeling of this smelless compound.
i`ve done this sinthesis many years ago and the distillate was clear, so..

i probably should distil it one more time when i am all alone in the house so i can evacuate if anything goes wrong...

newtear.JPG - 23kBtears2.JPG - 48kB
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 13:00

Looks good. Like the pictures. Let us know how the re-distillation goes. Whats the BP?

Do you have any plans in the works for the iodoacetone, other than tear-gassing yourself:D

Thanks for sharing.
Good luck and be safe.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 15:19

Has any member on this forum ever prepared nitroacetone from iodoacetone? (reaction with NaNO2 in DMSO)

[Edited on 17-1-2012 by AndersHoveland]
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 16:50

i dont have any sodium nitrite but....send me 100 bucks and i can fix that!!!!:D

i am doing the last distillation right now...
get ready for 1 more picture of the painful stuff.....
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 17:37

works every time ! got this yellowish liquid with a bp of about 52C...very painful to even look at !!!

newdistil2.JPG - 62kB newdistil.JPG - 76kB
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 17:40

oops ! here it is...sorry fellas..
newdistil3.JPG - 67kB
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 19:18

Heat potassium nitrate stump remover! I think it needs 700 some degrees C, its easy.

BOLD

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 19:20

iodo picrine as far as i know (not much..) hasnt been studied much ...could be interesting...
i have some NaNO3 but i keep it for nitric acid production ...the stump remover is no longer potassium nitrate in my area (US great lakes)
:(

[Edited on 18-1-2012 by neptunium]
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 20:42

That would be excellent for Nitroethane production if mono Nitroacetone was formed with ease.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 06:33

i also should point out that instead of HCl i was going to use CuO ... i red somewhere that it was a better yield and accelerate the reaction ..

[Edited on 19-1-2012 by neptunium]

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 17:22

Quote: Originally posted by AirCowPeaCock  
Heat potassium nitrate stump remover! I think it needs 700 some degrees C, its easy.

That is a proposed (and patented, IIRC) method to nitrite. There is a great thread on the subject titled "<a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=52#pid59263">Preparation of ionic nitrites</a> ." The method of reduction with lead, and reduction with carbon both gave me limited success, with low yields. Probably operator error I'm sure.

EDIT: found the link.

[Edited on 20-1-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 18:55

Lead works OK for Sodium Nitrate but I found it to be rather annoying for KNO3 due to a difference in melting point. Separation of KNO2 from KNO3 is easier but the synthesis is harder then with Sodium Nitrate.

Carbon was just to uncontrollable.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 07:38

Does the Iodine/ Acetone mix need to be distilled for the formation of Iodoacetone? I've had some Iodine crystals in Acetone for about a day, and so far, none of the fumes are anything tear - gas like. I tried lowering the pH by adding 2 drops of Sulphuric Acid, to the 50 ml Acetone and 1/3 g Iodine....
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 18:08

what are the best ways to get iodoacetone, without acetone exess (azeotrope?) and without getting diiodoacetone (is this pH dependant?, how can the two be made quantitatively without contamination from the other or acetone?)?

Quote: Originally posted by neptunium  
i also should point out that instead of HCl i was going to use CuO ... i red somewhere that it was a better yield and accelerate the reaction ..

[Edited on 19-1-2012 by neptunium]

`what are the effects of these on the halogenation of acetone with regards to pH?

Zn (low acidity)
ZnS
CuS (to make a comparison to CuO)
Pt
Ni (low acidity)
Pd
V2O5
CuI

i am wondering about electrochemistry too; however, the questions i asked are what i am mainly stumped on for now, as i am hoping to learn, goal wise, halogenation/haloformations of ketones.

i am hoping to form a pure halogenated ketone, mainly iodoacetone;
and then after seperation/purification, halogenate it;
with NaOCl and NaOH, to maybe get iododichloromethane / dichloroiodomethane / CHICl2

;and then also try it with diiodoacetone to get diiodochloromethane / chlorodiiodomethane CHCl2I

i also want to get a decent idea of catalytic behaviour from different compounds dependant on pH, i feel confident that would give me things to muse over.

interesting, maybe, is that i tried some halogenation experiments and one of them was with iodine in acetone and UV, i don't remember if i put copper or CuO (edit: CuI, and tryed UV on iodine with copper in acetone, i think) in it. i would have to go back and retroubleshoot it, which is part of my reason for questioning now. one reaction i got was odd as it didn't tear, but smelt real wierd. i only noticed tearing with some combination of aluminum foil in basic acetone with iodine.

with hypochlorite/hydroxide and touching aluminum, it seemed phosgene was formed, not chloroacetone.

edit: i also guess that stoichiometric amounts of iodine and acetone could be mixed with hydroxide solution and then bleach added to haloform to completion. i want to get an understanding from the acidic side of it though, with the pH and catalyst (metal/metal calcogenide) effects.

also, i didn't want to start a new thread of an identical topic unless it was necessary to split the topic.

[Edited on 5-3-2016 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]

Go To Top