Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What could it be
gl92038
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 05:00
What could it be

Hello, I have some strange compound, which I synthesised by following steps:
1) I mixed 5 grams of Benzoic acid with 5 grams of thionyl chloride( I expected to produce benzoyl chloride, but almost nothing happened when I mixed the compounds)
2) I added 3 grams of Ethanolamine( Apparently It was technical-grade, because It was not colorless as described on wikipedia)
I expected to get dibenzoyl (2-hydroxy ethyl) amine
The exothermic reaction proceeded and I was left some solid brown compound, which is soluble in water, and has the strong offensive smell...
What could it possibly be?
Thanks for any help :)

GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 08:00

I mixed 5 grams of Benzoic acid with 5 grams of thionyl chloride
in what solvent? or did you do it neat?

I'm not sure but I'm guessing you probably got some polymerizations of ethanolamine.

amines have strong smells... does it smell like dead fish, cheetos, or smelly salami?

gl92038
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 08:45

I mixed them without any solvent.
Why would polymerization happen?
But It smelled really nasty.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 09:12

How long dis you mix them? Did you add an excess of thionyl chloride? They are slow to react, and normally I would stir them overnight or reflux them to get the acid chloride reaction to go to completion. Then you have to evaporate off the excess thionyl chloride (usually chase it off with toluene or another solvent) to get pure acid chloride which can then be reacted with an amine. You will also need some triethylamine or other base to absorb the HCl, or it will make the salt of the amine, which is non-reactive. And some DMAP or other catalyst will likely speed up that reaction, which would work best in DCM or pyridine, but many solvents will work for that.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 10:45

If you mixed ethanolamine with thionyl chloride then you could well have 2-chloroethylamine, which I would expect to be a real nasty compound. However it would be present as the nonvolatile hydrochloride salt in solution, so it is unlikely to be that which you smell.
gl92038
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-1-2012 at 03:34

Actually I mixed them for 10 minutes. I know it was not even close to be enough.
Well, when i mixed ethanolamine with thionyl chloride nothing happened. And I don't expect benzoic acid to react with ethanolamine.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 20-1-2012 at 06:42

Be very careful with what you are doing there. If you have ethanolamine and you replace the hydroxyl groups with chloride, then you get very nasty blister agents. The worst one is with triethanolamine, but I'm quite sure that the monoethanolamine also gives a VERY nasty compound.

Some amines have a very exothermic reaction with thionyl chloride (e.g. triethylamine, mixed with thionyl chloride leads to a loud crackling noise when mixed and instant charring of the organic compound). So, before you mix stuff, be sure to use very small quantities, or use an inert solvent, just to be sure that there are no bad surprises for you.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Perdurabo
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-1-2012 at 09:04

The use of a solvent is generally preferred. Not only does the solvent allow more efficient physical interaction of the reagents, it will also help to dissipate the heat of reaction, making the whole process safer

Go To Top