Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Calcium acetate + hydrogen peroxide will give acetone peroxide
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2012 at 05:41
Calcium acetate + hydrogen peroxide will give acetone peroxide

I want to know if i will add calcium acetate to hydrogen peroxide will it form acetone peroxide
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 30-1-2012 at 06:01

No because as far as I know, to make acetone peroxide, acetone has to be combined with hydrogen peroxide in an acidic condition (hence the acetone+HCl+H2O2 production route. Calcium acetate, correct me if I'm wrong, is slightly basic, and will accelerate the decomposition of the H2O2. And the reaction cannot be driven forward by precipation because both acetone peroxide and CaCO3 is insoluble. So no. Just distil the calcium acetate or get a litre of acetone from your local hardware shop.

Anyway, why are you interested in acetone peroxide? Are you going to make things explode with it? Well, be careful and make only a tiny amount (less than 1g) so it doesn't injure you.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
30-1-2012 at 07:09
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 07:51

Well If i add hcl in calcium acetate than h2o2 will it work
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 08:29

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+make+Acetone+Peroxide

But, as aforementioned, never make this in large quanities, aka over a gram or two. People have been horrifically killed by doing stupid things with such materials, and I should point out, as you are a new member, that the boards accept NO responsibility for *your* mistakes.

Also, remember to wear full PPE, including goggles, a face shield, gloves and protective clothing. Always work either under a very good hood ar at the very least outside.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 08:54

I would think that if anything it would make peroxy acetic acid.
so If you feel like doing some epoxidations or bayer-villiger reactions....
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 00:25

H2O2 is unstable in temperatures used to convert Ca(C2H3O2)2 to CaCO3 and C3H6O, so that route is not viable. Why don't you just distil the calcium acetate if you seriously can't buy acetone?

Note: Acetone can be bought as nail polish remover, paint-thinner (check labels before buying) and simply as "acetone" at hardware stores.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 01:56

Calcium acetate is not acetone - it will not work. You can't just substitute random chemicals and expect to get the same product.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 05:16

If you add HCl to calcium acetate, it will form CaCl2 and acetic acid. Then, when you add H2O2, you will get some peroxidized acetic acid and some calcium chloride in solution. If you add it the other way, it won't work either because the H2O2 will oxidize (I think) the HCl to HClO, which will then react with the remaining HCl to form Cl2. So you will get a leftover solution of acetic acid, CaCl2 and calcium acetate. If you heat both solutions, the HCl in the first solution might be driven off as a gas, but then the peroxide will first decompose (with an explosion if in the form as peroxidized acetic acid). The second reaction, when heated, generates nothing at all because the H2O2 has already decomposed.

Your only choice, if you cannot find acetone or a distillation device, is to oxidize isopropyl alcohol with a suitable oxidizer. (KMnO4/Cr2O7 salt)+copper catalyst.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 06:28

I have lots of isopropanol copper and kmno4 i heard that acetone can be prepared from it by passing oxygen at 70' degree and i some atmospheric pressure that i have forgot now i was not successful by this process please tell your process of using kmno4 and copper i will be very thankful to you
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 03:27

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-propanol
Methods of production (second link the oxidation of isopropyl alcohol with KMnO4)

So you don't need copper catalyst at all, just isopropyl alcohol and KMnO4. You might have to heat the reaction to get it started though.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 07:56

Will you please tell me the complete process what temperature i have to maintain how much quantities i have to use .the product needs to be condensed or isopropanol will be fully converted to acetone
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 08:16

Vikascoder, you seem to be asking to be spoon fed about how to make explosives, and showing that you are not completely responsible with them ( as per some other of your posts) and do not even seem to be interested in the chemistry. Do you understand the mechanisms behind the reactions that you are trying to perform? or are you just trying to use a recipe for something that may get yourself and others hurt?

[Edited on 2-2-2012 by ThatchemistKid]
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 08:34

Quote: Originally posted by Vikascoder  
Will you please tell me the complete process what temperature i have to maintain how much quantities i have to use .the product needs to be condensed or isopropanol will be fully converted to acetone

:mad:
Will you please quit being so lazy and read a damn chemistry book! He posted links to the procedures, yet you still ask to be spoon fed the reaction parameters. Are you to lazy to bother to even read them, or use Google?

UTFSE!, and stop expecting us to do all the chemistry and research for you so that you can just follow the 'recipe' and blow sh*t up so that your friends think your kewl. That's not what SciMad is about. If your not interested in learning chemistry, then you do not belong here.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 21:42

Hey i have already use the search engine and the links posted by him but there was only one thing written that acetone is produced by the oxidation of isopropanol and you must be knowing that a very tiny mistake can blow up your whole lab and my motto is to take the full information about anything then performing that experiment because a little knowledge is a dangerous thing . I am doing research on this topic on many search engines ,websites but i am not finding anything useful if you can help me please help . The place where i live it is very difficult to find acetone
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 22:12

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/alcohols/oxidation.h...
well here is a standard start
maybe look up the mechanism for chromate and permanganate oxidation of alcohols via their corresponding esters.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 23:02

Hey i have already use the search engine and the links posted by him but there was only one thing written that acetone is produced by the oxidation of isopropanol and you must be knowing that a very tiny mistake can blow up your whole lab and my motto is to take the full information about anything then performing that experiment because a little knowledge is a dangerous thing . I am doing research on this topic on many search engines ,websites but i am not finding anything useful if you can help me please help . The place where i live it is very difficult to find acetone

I'm sorry. I was harsh, it's just that acetone is so common, and AP is so crappy(in the worst way). Find some "black market" nail polish remover, surely you can buy or obtain some form of it if your desire for TATP so great.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 23:08

You can produce acetone via destructive distillation of calcium acetate.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed026p275

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 23:30

There is no need to help a fellow in any way shape or form, that wants to make an explosive yet does not have access to acetone or needs to be walked though the process of making acetone.

What kind of backwoods or desert rat type of person would really not have access to acetone yet need explosives, seriously ask yourself this question and the implications before furthering this thread in anyway.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 02:00

One should not be proud of knowledge because knowledge always increase when we gave it to someone it never decreases if you dont want to help me dont help but let the others help me. By the way i am not going to use acetone peroxide as a explosive but as a super rocket fuel. I am not getting acetone because the supplies which supply me chemicals is not taking any order for acetone from 1 month because he is very very ill. He is suffering from blood cancer and currently he is in hospital . I never buy from someone else because their rates are high as compared to my supplier
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 02:14

One should not be proud of knowledge because knowledge always increase when we gave it to someone it never decreases if you dont want to help me dont help but let the others help me. By the way i am not going to use acetone peroxide as a explosive but as a super rocket fuel. I am not getting acetone because the supplies which supply me chemicals is not taking any order for acetone from 1 month because he is very very ill. He is suffering from blood cancer and currently he is in hospital . I never buy from someone else because their rates are high as compared to my supplier

Sorry, but if you want pure acetone without much trouble, the easiest way is to buy it from somewhere else.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 03:10

So, you want to use acetone peroxide "as a super rocket fuel"? That does it! Your entire post is nothing but an insult to our intelligence and dignity. Why do you think we will blindly ignore such a humiliation and still help a person so ignorant who actually believes that mixing some random chemical that happens to have a name related to acetone give a specific product derived from acetone? Nobody responsible is going to help someone as incompetent into making a totally unstable explosive substance that is responsible for who knows how many deaths and blown off fingers! So get yourself a reality check and grow up.
madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 03:22

Sedit, you are right - it seems my post did encourage some chemical curiosity in others though.

And acetone peroxide as rocket fuel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLaNyhege9A

Put your launch on youtube too. :D

Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 08:22

I am going to use Acetone peroxide in a very low amount but some other things with it and i have designed my rocket motor in a very special way their are many stages of various propellants which are going to be used i have tried some rockets with it before also and none of them yet failed each go up with such a speed that hardly anyone can see it . It just go with a whooosh sound . I can only see it when it is at height or the fuel got finish . Acetone peroxide is very powerful and good rocket fuel which has been tried by hardly by one or two person . Everyone think that this is very sensitive but there are many ways for preparing it so that it become very insensitive one way is always keep the temperature below 0 degree celsius use 6 & h2o2 and 6%hcl i am not humiliating anyones dignity . You think i am doing a wrong thing but if you will stable acetone peroxide it is very nice . So i have stabilised it with some stabilising agent i was doing research on this topic from previous 6 years and now i have got success in stabilising it . Now the only problem which i have is to get acetone nothing else .
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 11:27

The acetone triperoxide is extremely sensitive to both friction and shock. This extreme sensitivity is easily demonstrated by gently grinding acrossed it with a pestle on an iron plate or bumping it with a .5kg hammer on an iron plate.

Official references (Federoff, A44) state this about the triperoxide:

Friction sensitivity: "extremely sensitive".

Impact sensitivity: 500g with 10 cm (Bur of Mines App); 50g weight 15cm (50% det, French app. "petit mouton").

"Note: Results of impact sensitivity tests show that acetone triperoxide is one of the most sensitive explosives known".

Now from elsewhere in Federoff we find mercury fulminate is 5cm with 2kg weight (Bur of Mines app) and lead azide 12cm with 2 kg.

0.1*0.5*10 = 0.5 Nm.
0.15*0.050*10 = 0.075 Nm.
0.05*2*10 = 1 Nm.
0.12*2*10 = 2.4 Nm.

So, acetone triperoxide is 2 to 13 times more impact sensitive than mercury fulminate and 5 to 32 times more impact sensitive than lead azide.

Quit spreading misinformation about the compound.

And when has any primary ever been used as a rocket fuel? Sounds like a Darwin award in the making, or a really shady patent no one would care about.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 20:47

I have found a new way written my old chemistry book that acetone can be produced by passing a mixture of ethyl alcohol vapour and steam over a catalyst , zinc chromite at 500'C , acetone is obtained yield is about 80%
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top