Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitric acid with bisulfate
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 04:18
Nitric acid with bisulfate

I have just found some KNO3 at a shop. So the first thing I tried is making nitric acid with sodium bisulfate and potassium nitrate.
I first tried to boil a solution of both KNO3 and NaHSO4. Then I tried the copper test. It didn't work. Then I dried the solids in the solution and tried heating it dry. The Bisulfate/nitrate mix liquefied (but the liquid turns back into a solid once it was cold, so that doesn't work), then it started bubbling. I have a plastic cap with a plastic pipe placed in the hole of the cap, with the pipe leading to some water. At first it seems normal, then a red cloud of NO2 rapidly rised, with the solution foaming rapidly. My pipe seems to not be working, as the NO2 leaked out of the beaker, with a smell like a cross between SO2 and Cl2. The water is not bubbling. So I turned off the heat and disposed of the batch. The question is, can you make nitric acid without a distillation setup with NaHSO4?
If you can't, then I'm either going to pick up some hydrochloric acid later at the pool shop, toss some copper in the solution, then use a dome to catch NO2 and bubble it through water or some sulfuric acid on eBay.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 08:10

Can you not just find sulphuric acid drain-cleaner?
Or boil the bejasus out of battery acid . . . ?
If you do, you'll be sooo glad you did! (:D)

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 09:24

Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  
The question is, can you make nitric acid without a distillation setup with NaHSO4?
I don't think so, it would be hard enough with a distillation setup. Get some sulfuric drain opener, preferably Rooto.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 10:14

Using a bisulfate as a substitute for sulfuric acid, then you should probably try using a different nitrate that doesn't form an acid sulfate byproduct. Then the dynamic for reaction would favor the production of nitric acid and a normal sulfate byproduct. For example magnesium nitrate, aluminum nitrate, zinc nitrate, copper nitrate, or calcium nitrate but there would be an insoluble byproduct as complication for calcium nitrate. You could make a dilute nitric acid by filtering out a nearly insoluble byproduct sulfate, but it would be dilute acid, probably 20% or less HNO3 and the acid would have some amount of dissolved impurity of the byproduct sulfate salt.
Mirage
Harmless

Mood: Superheated

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 17:11

Do you mean, you will just mix the HCl and Cu and produce NO2 (which is impossible without nuclear chemistry) or do you mean HCl plus KNO3 plus Cu... Check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtPiwbRA4N8&feature=plcp&...

It's all there

Chemically yours
Mirage

[Edited on 6-2-2012 by Mirage]
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 00:39

Quote: Originally posted by Mirage  
Do you mean, you will just mix the HCl and Cu and produce NO2 (which is impossible without nuclear chemistry) or do you mean HCl plus KNO3 plus Cu... Check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtPiwbRA4N8&feature=plcp&...

It's all there

Chemically yours
Mirage

[Edited on 6-2-2012 by Mirage]

Sorry for the oversimplified explanation. What I'm going to do is to mix the HCl with the KNO3, which the following reaction occurs: HCl+KNO3====>HNO3+KCl. But the remaining HCl in the solution will destroy the HNO3 through: 3HCl+HNO3====>NOCl+Cl2+2H2O, and it is this reaction that enables aqua regia to dissolve gold. So what I'm going to do is throw some copper in, and because copper is less reactive than hydrogen, no hydrogen gas evolves when I dissolve copper in the solution. It would instead be: Cu+4 HNO3====>Cu(NO3)2+2H2O+2NO2. The NO2 bubbles through water and dissociates into HNO3 and HNO2, and the HNO2 decomposes into NO and NO2, which reacts with the water and the cycle repeats until all the NO2 is used up.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 00:47

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
Using a bisulfate as a substitute for sulfuric acid, then you should probably try using a different nitrate that doesn't form an acid sulfate byproduct. Then the dynamic for reaction would favor the production of nitric acid and a normal sulfate byproduct. For example magnesium nitrate, aluminum nitrate, zinc nitrate, copper nitrate, or calcium nitrate but there would be an insoluble byproduct as complication for calcium nitrate. You could make a dilute nitric acid by filtering out a nearly insoluble byproduct sulfate, but it would be dilute acid, probably 20% or less HNO3 and the acid would have some amount of dissolved impurity of the byproduct sulfate salt.

The problem isn't having no acid. It's having gaseous NO2 evolution instead of liquid HNO3 evolution. Unless using a non-acid forming nitrate can help with making the liquid form of the acid. Maybe using Ca(NO3)2 will help, as both the heating of the bisulfate/nitrate solution and the precipation of CaSO4 will speed the reaction forward.

Also, would a solution of KNO2 and bisulfate make nitric acid? I assume the HNO2 will decompose into NO,NO2 and H2O. The NO2 will dissolve in while the NO will gather an oxygen atom, then dissolve.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 00:55

Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
Can you not just find sulphuric acid drain-cleaner?
Or boil the bejasus out of battery acid . . . ?
If you do, you'll be sooo glad you did! (:D)

P

I don't know about you, but here, I think sulfuric acid drain cleaner has been phased out. I looked at Bunnings and the supermarket, and I did not find one drain cleaner that was made of any acid, let alone sulfuric. Most were made of a sodium hydroxide solution or dirty hydroxide with aluminum chunks in it. Perhaps acid is damaging to the pipe? There is an increase recently in the amount of "enzyme" drain cleaners recently, so I think sodium hydroxide ones are getting phased out too. They don't trust the average Joe to deal with corrosive substances? But I found some sulfuric acid for a good price on eBay though, $12.95US for 950mls of 98% acid.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 03:21

Jeez weiming, your location seems bereft of any redeeming features!
Please tell us something good about the place?

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 03:37

Uh, chemical-wise, the only thing good is that obscure chemicals, like the isopropyl salt of glyphosate, benzalkonium chloride or Trichlorpyr as butoxyethanol ester can be bought with no suspicion at all as commercial products. A good thing too, because I don't think anyone short of a professional organic chemist is going to find uses for ANY of these.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 10:43

Nitric without Sulfuric
[I don't know about you, but here, I think sulfuric acid drain cleaner has been phased out. I looked at Bunnings and the supermarket, and I did not find one drain cleaner that was made of any acid, let alone sulfuric.

Fifty years ago I had very limited amounts of H2SO4 and I made HNO3 by the dry distillation of KNO3, CuSO4 and alum, but I could not remember the stoichiometry.

I found a contemporary reference which gives the following quantities: 150 gm of KNO3, 150 gm of CuSO4, and 50 gm of KAl(SO4)2. Yield is said to be 70 gm of about 50% HNO3.

The reference states that the dry distillation was conducted at 800 C, but I believe it must be possible at lower temperatures because I used a Pyrex retort and it was not damaged. I still have the retort.

This worked fifty years ago and I suspect it will work in the 21st century. I cannot recall my yields, but they were not trivial.

The reference is here: http://www.chemicke-listy.cz/docs/full/2002_12_05.pdf
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 10:51

Interesting, at a reasonable temperature for glass the reaction must proceed slowly, ought it?

BOLD

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 10:57

Quote: Originally posted by AirCowPeaCock  
Interesting, at a reasonable temperature for glass the reaction must proceed slowly, ought it?
My memory of this is not too precise fifty years later, but I think it was probably an hour or two using a Bunsen flame for distillation. I probably used maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of the quantities cited in the reference.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 12:41

Not bad, if you can't get H2SO4.

BOLD

weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 04:11

If I had a retort, then I would of had no problem making nitric acid from sodium bisulfate because a pipe can easily be fitted over the retort, which leads to some water. Or the neck of the retort could be submerged in ice water to dissolve the NO2 formed.

Anyway, my mum is worried about the air shipping of the eBay sulfuric acid being illegal in Australia. Anyone that lives in Australia/understands law in Australia knows if it is illegal to ship small amounts of corrosive liquids internationally to Australia?
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 07:30

That information should be easy to find on the internet

BOLD

Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 10:12

If I had a retort, then I would of had no problem making nitric acid from sodium bisulfate because a pipe can easily be fitted over the retort, which leads to some water. Or the neck of the retort could be submerged in ice water to dissolve the NO2 formed.

Anyway, my mum is worried about the air shipping of the eBay sulfuric acid being illegal in Australia. Anyone that lives in Australia/understands law in Australia knows if it is illegal to ship small amounts of corrosive liquids internationally to Australia?

You sir no drink drinks outside Australia!
As you mentioned the retort, useing led would fit I think, at least in the closure of the lid and the condenser itself haha
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 10:28

There are lists of items that are prohibited from ordinary civilian air freight eg compressed gases. I suspect that corrosive liquids would be included.

Go To Top