Author: Subject: imine + R-O-R-MgX
acx01b
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2012 at 03:43
imine + R-O-R-MgX

Hi,

I would like to know if you think that the following reaction will work :

acetone + aniline ---- (molecular sieves 4a, cyclohexane) ---> isopropyl anilimine
CH3-CO-CH3 + Ph-NH2 -----> (molecular sieves 4a, cyclohexane) ----> CH3-C(=N-Ph)-CH3

bromomethyl methyl ether + Mg ----> (THF) ----> bromo magnesium methyl methyl ether
Br-CH2-O-CH3 + Mg ----> (THF) ----> BrMg-CH2-O-CH3

isopropyl anilimine + bromomagnesium methyl methyl ether ----> (H2O) ----> N-isopropyl alpha-methyl methyl ether aniline
CH3-C(=N-Ph)-CH3 + BrMg-CH2-O-CH3 ----> (H2O) ----> CH3-C(CH2-O-CH3)(-NH-Ph)-CH3

I have an other question : why in some synthesis reacting organometallics with imine is done with organolithium and not with organo magnesium. In the reaction I describe will it be better to use Li-CH2-O-CH3 ???

Thank you very much !!
Reno

[Edited on 14-2-2012 by acx01b]

acx01b
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 06:22

I got some reference on the fact that CH3-O-CH2-MgBr is very unstable, and should be formed and kept at -20°C.

I am going to open a new thread to discuss the unstability of CH3-O-CH2-MgBr

Quote:

It was very important to control the temperature during the preparation and use of MeOCH2MgBr. This reagent was found to be unstable at temperatures above -20 C

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jo902560f

acx01b
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 06:31
unstability of CH3-O-CH2-MgBr

Hi,

I found only one paper where they use the organomagnesium obtained from bromomethyl methyl ether and magnesium in THF.

CH3-O-CH2-Br + Mg ----> CH3-O-CH2-MgBr

Quote:

It was very important to control the temperature during the preparation and use of MeOCH2MgBr. This reagent was found to be unstable at temperatures above -20 C

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jo902560f

I think that there are two possibilities of destruction of CH3-O-CH2-MgBr

1. rearrangement

CH3-O-CH2-MgBr ---> CH3-CH2-O-MgBr

In that case, the temperature should be kept under -20°C during all the reaction.

2. bimolecular reaction

CH3-O-CH2-MgBr + CH3-O-CH2-Br ----> CH3-O-CH2-CH2-O-CH3 + MgBr2

In that case, after all the CH3-O-CH2-Br has been converted to CH3-O-CH2-MgBr, this reaction cannot occur anymore, and so it can go back to positive ambient temperature.

What do you think ? What reaction will occur ? Is there an other reaction that I didn't think of ?

Thank you very much !
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 07:24

I'm sure it has to do with the Mg wanting that oxygen atom, and so close to an electronegative carbon, You will probably get some kind of bimolecular reaction, yes.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 11:51

I would tend to believe that such alpha-alkoxyorganomagnesium compounds relatively rapidly decompose into the corresponding carbenes and then further.

What you call a "bimolecular reaction" can not occur as it requires methoxymethyl bromide. That is not a decomposition, but a reaction.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
15-2-2012 at 11:52
acx01b
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 13:17

Hello all,

I finally founded a good reference about imines and organo metallics ! Not so easy to find, and it contains many answers.

http://www.chemistry.sc.chula.ac.th/course_info/OrgReact05/F...

The imine R-MgBr reaction will never work, with R-Li it is maybe possible with BH3 as Lewis basis neutralizer, but there is only a little chance ! Most imine / R-Li additions are difficult to perform.

Quote:

What you call a "bimolecular reaction" can not occur as it requires methoxymethyl bromide. That is not a decomposition, but a reaction.

It can occur when you add the Mg to the methoxymethyl bromide !

Go To Top