Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Cheap, Quality Glass Source (Laboy Glass)
Halcyon
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 04:45
Cheap, Quality Glass Source (Laboy Glass)

I hope this doesn't come across as an advertisement, but I just wanted to give a plug to Laboy Glass, a manufacturer/seller in China.

I've dealt with them a number of times over the past 2-3 years and have been very impressed by the quality of glassware, price and customer service offered.

They trade on eBay under the name "echowzh123", but you'll find that purchasing directly through their website (laboyglass.com) gives you a reasonable saving. Often, items will be listed on eBay and not in the main site's catalogue, in which case you're best off ordering via email. Shipping is a flat $15 per order (not item) anywhere in the world.

That's about it; the primary reason for this post is simply because if I hadn't have been put onto these guys when I first became interested in chemistry, I wouldn't have been able to afford the basic kit (and wouldn't have been able to justify the expense of the less-basic stuff I've purchased recently).

Cheers - Halcyon

*EDIT* I realise that they're known around here a little, just putting it out there for those who aren't aware.

[Edited on 15-2-2012 by Halcyon]
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 04:58

I may be putting in an order with these to see what the quality is like. Prices seem OK.

All that glitters isn't gold.
Halcyon
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 05:09

I guess they might be a lot better for an Australian than a UK/USA experimenter (we get reamed on prices for a lot of things). The flat-rate postage is a big saving too, if you're buying a bit of kit.

As far as quality goes, I can't say how they hold up to continuous use with nasty reagents, but I can say that they're thicker-walled than any of the gear I've previously used in school and I've never had any issues with fit/finish/breakages besides the time I blew the thermometer adapter out of a distillation column into a brick wall.
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 05:36

For a few hundred quid it's not going to break the bank, and if it's not the best it's no real loss.

All that glitters isn't gold.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 14:32

i have a distillation set up 24/40 from them and i am very satisfy with it..the shipping (for USA) was exactly 15 USD and fairly quick considering it came halfway arround the world..
i would gladly order and recomand them as well thank you for your post Halcyon

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 14:44

What I really like about Laboy is that they stock syringe needles, cannulas and rubber septa for a very nice price. I have yet to see an amateur-friendly business sell such items which are absolutely needed for airfree work. Most glassware suppliers sell Schlenk tubes, flasks and adapters but practically none of them carry the accessories needed to use them...

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by Halcyon  
I guess they might be a lot better for an Australian than a UK/USA experimenter (we get reamed on prices for a lot of things). The flat-rate postage is a big saving too, if you're buying a bit of kit.

As far as quality goes, I can't say how they hold up to continuous use with nasty reagents, but I can say that they're thicker-walled than any of the gear I've previously used in school and I've never had any issues with fit/finish/breakages besides the time I blew the thermometer adapter out of a distillation column into a brick wall.

:cool:How did you manage that?

BOLD

grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 15:30

Thanks for the O post and replys.Ive been looking for a reasonably priced, decent vac distillation kit.Hard to judge quality among the many offers online unless someone makes a shout out.Thanks again.
Halcyon
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-2-2012 at 12:56

Quote: Originally posted by AirCowPeaCock  

:cool:How did you manage that?

Erm.. I sorta washed out some glass (that'd been used for spirit/liqueur duty only) and blew on one end of the vig. column to clear/dry it. It was attached to a distillation adaptor

Set the bottom end on the carpet and gave it a quick puff in the dist adaptor; apparently the carpet made a decent seal and the un-keck'd thermometer adaptor shot out the top, taking out my favourite thermometer with it. Haven't made that mistake again.
ctrlphreak
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-2-2012 at 05:53

I can say with absolute certainty that they have very thick, well blown glass, for great pricing, with great durability that's been smashed into other flasks, dropped, smashed into the sides of counters, and not had a single one even star or hairline fracture.
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 18-2-2012 at 10:40

Just a word of caution,

I have ordered from Laboy a number of times, through ebay and the the online shop. Most of the time everything came as promised, however my most recent purchase (a few months ago) was missing $72.00 worth of items. After realizing this I promptly emailed them, and after waiting a few days sent a few more. In total I sent about 4 emails politely asking where my refund/ missing merchandise went, and no reply was received. Unfortunately by the time these events occurred the 90 day Paypal refund cushion had past, so I am now missing $72.00 and some useful glassware.
Halcyon
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-2-2012 at 04:47

*EDIT*

MNick, you have a PM ;)

[Edited on 20-2-2012 by Halcyon]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 11:56

Their glass may be good but their main site is not. If nothing else I wish they would either fix the pictures so they would appear or upload the rest of their catalog PDFs.. Half of them show up with a 404 error and most of the images fail to load every time.
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 22-2-2012 at 18:17

Just a quick update,

I would like to retract my earlier statement about Laboy, it appears as though I was incorrect. Thanks to the help of another member I was put in contact with Laboy, and everything has been amended. They gave me two very generous options and I can say that all is well.
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 13:35

Quote: Originally posted by mnick12  
Just a quick update,

I would like to retract my earlier statement about Laboy, it appears as though I was incorrect. Thanks to the help of another member I was put in contact with Laboy, and everything has been amended. They gave me two very generous options and I can say that all is well.
I've sent these massive land captains an e-mail yesterday and I havn't got a reply.

Do you know of a better way to contact them ?
Halcyon
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 02:08

Christ, I'd hate to take you out on a date :P Be less clingy.

In seriousness, they've rarely taken more than three days to reply to me, but they're pretty busy lately, so I'd expect 2-3 days before thinking that there was a problem getting through.

Genuinely curious question; massive land captains? :P
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-3-2012 at 05:17

Quote: Originally posted by Halcyon  
Christ, I'd hate to take you out on a date :P Be less clingy.

In seriousness, they've rarely taken more than three days to reply to me, but they're pretty busy lately, so I'd expect 2-3 days before thinking that there was a problem getting through.

Genuinely curious question; massive land captains? :P
Actually it was more than a day and I still have yet to recieve an e-mail from them ;) .

Oh well I found another supplier (Dr. Bob)

A "massive land captain" is something I made up on the spot , I guess it's something to do with the massive land mass that they inhabit and the fact that they make ridiculous animes with characters who are captains of flying baloons and other such nonsense.

BTW are you a guy :D ?

If so I'm glad you wouldn't want to take me out :o

[Edited on 19-3-2012 by RonPaul2012]
Geko127
Harmless

Mood: Day dreaming---Zones Stress Head.

[*] posted on 28-3-2012 at 20:04

So far i think they have been good to deal with .
Good comunication and the shipping was free:DSo far i think they have been good to deal with .
Good comunication and the shipping was free

Ask No questions and ill tell no lie\'s.
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 08:42

I placed an order for one of their sets, with the addition of a vigreux column and some keck clips a few days ago - waiting for it to arrive now. They had quite a nice range and it's encouraging to read positive things about them! I can post back my thoughts once I get it.
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 14:48

Well I went ahead and ordered from them about 4-5 days ago , I paid for everything.

But wouldn't you know it I sent them a half dozen e-mails and I haven't received any e-mails back (except the one for payment).

Does anyone know how to get in touch with them ?
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 15:32

Quote: Originally posted by RonPaul2012  
Well I went ahead and ordered from them about 4-5 days ago , I paid for everything.

But wouldn't you know it I sent them a half dozen e-mails and I haven't received any e-mails back (except the one for payment).

I only know what's on their website's contact page: http://www.laboyglass.com/support.asp

I placed my order on ebay (I hadn't actually seen their website at that point) and it has apparently been shipped, so hopefully all is well there.

I found it odd that they list only a fax number, with no phone number. They do have skype, though.

RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 15:47

Quote: Originally posted by adamsium  
Quote: Originally posted by RonPaul2012  

I only know what's on their website's contact page: http://www.laboyglass.com/support.asp

I placed my order on ebay (I hadn't actually seen their website at that point) and it has apparently been shipped, so hopefully all is well there.

I found it odd that they list only a fax number, with no phone number. They do have skype, though.

Yeah I have tried their "phone" number and it doesn't work.

After reading their terms I probably shouldn't expect my items this month:mad:
Geko127
Harmless

Mood: Day dreaming---Zones Stress Head.

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 16:14

My items took 2 weeks /10 working days, Thats not bad considering china---to austraila is a long way. And all items arived safe.

Ask No questions and ill tell no lie\'s.
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2012 at 04:13

Quote: Originally posted by Geko127  
My items took 2 weeks /10 working days, Thats not bad considering china---to austraila is a long way. And all items arived safe.

Was that by EMS? Mine are going by EMS, which I would have expected to be be reasonably quick.
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-4-2012 at 14:56

Quote: Originally posted by Geko127  
Well I'm in PA , so lets see , 2 weeks to ship plus 2 weeks to arrive , that's about a whole month , yay :(
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top