Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extraction of liquid fatty acids from vegetable oil
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 18-2-2012 at 05:56
Extraction of liquid fatty acids from vegetable oil

Recently, I have tried to extract liquid fatty acids from vegetable oil. Here's what I used:
1, Sodium hydroxide is added to some vegetable oil, which neutralizes the fatty acids and forms a soapy substance.
This substance is not that soluble in water (less than table salt),
So I placed the chunks in a sodium bisulfate solution, with excess bisulfate. There was sizzling noises, probably from the unreacted NaOH reacting with the acid. After a day, I got this strange oil-like substance that is transparent. So I flitered out the substance. But the strange thing was that it was miscible with water! Attempts to separate the layers with both potassium permanganate and copper sulfate failed. The first one lost its colour quickly and the second one just made an evenly dispersed, very light blue solution (much lighter than copper sulfate and pure water.)
The question is, why are the triglycerides in the fatty acid soluble in water? Even if I managed to separate the carboxylic acid from the glycerol, then it still wouldn't be soluble, because, as far as I know, longer chained organics (be it alcohols or carboxylic acids) are insoluble and will form two layers.
Does anyone have a clue what happened?
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 18-2-2012 at 07:43

1) read up on making soap. Simply stirring with NaOH won't cleave the glyceryl esters. You need to warm the mix and to be done in any reasonable length of time, you need to heat it once the initial exotherm (which is slow in the making) slows down. Once you're done, chuck it in acid. The fatty acid layer floats.

2) Vegetable oil has unsaturation. KMnO4 will oxidatively cleave these.

3) copper soaps are insoluble

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 18-2-2012 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  
After a day, I got this strange oil-like substance that is transparent. So I flitered out the substance. But the strange thing was that it was miscible with water!

This is very possibly glycerol...

Usually if you want a reasonable yield of free fatty acids you will need to do the saponification in a suitable solvent.

Attempts to separate the layers with both potassium permanganate and copper sulfate failed

Now, I am not a fatty acid separation expert but why would you use KMnO4 or CuSO4 to try to separate anything, was this an attempt to "salt" the fatty acids out?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2012 at 15:05

Quote: Originally posted by bahamuth  
After a day, I got this strange oil-like substance that is transparent. So I flitered out the substance. But the strange thing was that it was miscible with water!

This is very possibly glycerol...

Usually if you want a reasonable yield of free fatty acids you will need to do the saponification in a suitable solvent.

Attempts to separate the layers with both potassium permanganate and copper sulfate failed

Now, I am not a fatty acid separation expert but why would you use KMnO4 or CuSO4 to try to separate anything, was this an attempt to "salt" the fatty acids out?

No. it was an attempt to separate the layers, if both layers are transparent, then it would be hard to see the two layers. So I add something in that would colour the water blue, but the fatty acid would remain transparent, or a much lighter blue. But that hasn't happened.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2012 at 15:10

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
1) read up on making soap. Simply stirring with NaOH won't cleave the glyceryl esters. You need to warm the mix and to be done in any reasonable length of time, you need to heat it once the initial exotherm (which is slow in the making) slows down. Once you're done, chuck it in acid. The fatty acid layer floats.

2) Vegetable oil has unsaturation. KMnO4 will oxidatively cleave these.

3) copper soaps are insoluble

1) Yes, I will try your advice.
2) Maybe that's why the water changed from the purple colour back to transparent again.
3, I did not try and make a copper soap, I was making a sodium soap, then acidified the solution, and then added in copper sulfate to colour the water but not the acid.

Go To Top