Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How to dispose of unknown chemical waste?
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 12:43

try to react those products into known ones, e.g. with nitric acid or by calcining (just in case some sort of hydrated carbocyanide was made).

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 07:05

A good trick is to package it up into say ten lots and simply mail it back and forth to yourself repeatedly. Eventually it will all be lost.

Pyro
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2012 at 13:04

put it, and all your other chemical waste somewhere where you will never have contact with it again. good ideas are: public toilets, neighbours toilets, other countries,... :P
But I prefer to put em in a glass jar, label it toxic and just put it down somewhere in a dumpyard. they will not know who it belongs to, and you don't need to pay

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 16:52

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
According to the chemists of Max Gergel's era, "The solution to pollution is dilution."

So for small amounts of material, I agree with the other above. If you have anything that is organic and nasty, you could mix it into some other related consumer household waste and take it to a local "Household Hazardous Waste collection" site (we have them here sometimes) and let them deal with it. For instance, our area collects mercury thermometers and other related items, so you could probably give them a few ounces of mercury no problem. But if you show up with a 80 pound bottle, they might get a bit worried.

But I have seen pesticides, pool chemicals, photographic chemicals, and others dropped off OK. So if you have used DCM, and you obtained it from a bottle of paint stripper, you could probably put it back into the empty original bottle and say it is used paint stripper. That would all be true, and they will likely burn it with other halogenated waste. My biggest problem is that I usually would like to haul away some of the stuff people have turned in for disposal. I have seen some very valuable chemicals disposed of that way.
Someone shows up with an 80 pound bottle of mercury at MY doorstep not only would I be beyond words( read: extremely happy) but that bottle isn't going anywhere so long as I draw breath on this earth. but I digress. IF the waste is yours follow the advice and entomb the sucker. mark the block if you wish but , if nothing else, make a very big mental note which concrete block is what.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top