Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trouble with vacuum filtration/better source of filter paper?
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2004 at 17:35
Trouble with vacuum filtration/better source of filter paper?

Okay, I got a vacuum awhile ago and now I'm really trying to use it.

I have a buchner funnel, a filtering flask and a rubber thing to sit the buchner funnel on so there's better suction in the filtering flask. Only thing I'm missing is filter paper, so I'm using coffee filters which I cut out in circles to cover the bottom of the buchner funnel (COMPLETELY cover).

Now, I connect the tube to the filtering flask and start the vacuum. When I put liquids into the buchner funnel nothing happens. The drip rate is as slow as ever. However, I know there is a vacuum because when I remove the buchner funnel and put my hand over the rubber thing, my hand gets sucked down. I tried it without the coffee filter paper and it sucked the juices down nicely. So there must be something wrong with the coffee filter. WHY? And what else can I use aside from this instead of buying filter paper?

Thank you

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-4-2004 at 18:56
stuff to try

I can't speak from experience as all I've ever used is regular laboratory grade filter papers. But I don't know why you couldn't buy fiberglass furnace filters and cut a circle to lay in your Fuckner funnel. If this is too porous lay a thin coat of diatomaceous earth (DE) over it using an aqueous slurry. DE is used in swimming pool filters where it performs Herculean duty removing suntan lotion and other human detritus.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 22-4-2004 at 07:48

Most likely air is getting sucked in between the filter paper and the wall of your Büchner. Also, it could be that coffee filters are too permeable to gas for this application.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 22-4-2004 at 07:51

Yes, but coffee filters are good, especially when you run out of toilet paper.

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2004 at 10:20

You see, I could imagine myself using my mouth to suck out the liquid from a coffee filter. I mean, if gravity will do it, surely my mouth can. So why can't this vaccuum do it? What's the difference?

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 22-4-2004 at 11:24

You wetten your filter with solvent - same as to filter - wetten it well and start your vacuum source. You should see now if the filter gets sucked onto the Buchners plate - if yes - good - if not you made something wrong.
Of course the liquid to filter has to cover the whole filter well - or this wont work at all. Say your liquid should be at least 2cm high in the Buchner.
Another possibility is that the filtrate clogs the filter rapidly and almost completly. Then you should first filter the shit through a glasswool plug in a usual funnel - reapeat this some times using the same plug if you are not satisfied with the results in the first run and finefilter then in the Buchner with vacuum.
Gypsum/chalk and such stuff clogs every filter - the prefiltering with glasswool is very helpful.

Irgendwas is ja immer
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2004 at 22:45

Okay, well it worked fine with another little thing I have going at the moment. So I guess the last time I did it (and had trouble filtering) the filtrate was just full of garbage...I'm trying to remember what it was I was filtering...I don't know...I just can't remember for some reason. Anyway, glass wool, huh? This sounds good. Where can I find this?

Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 23-4-2004 at 01:37

Glasswool? Thats easy! Just melt some glass and press it through a very fine nozzle. ;)
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 23-4-2004 at 01:49

Brewing/Winemaking suppliers sell pretty good filter papers. Coffee filters by comparison are next to useless.

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 23-4-2004 at 02:31

Quote:

Anyway, glass wool, huh? This sounds good. Where can I find this?

Eeeeh..... it's not entirely uncommonly used as insulation when building houses.....

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Son of Northern Darkness
Harmless

Mood: Look at that

[*] posted on 23-4-2004 at 15:12

Fibreglass?
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 23-4-2004 at 18:14
Yup, but the white stuff often used in the middle of furnace (intake air) filters

seems far superior, the strands are much thicker and seem to resist breaking up and powdering much better.

another possibility is to solve the root problem.

Not enough vacuum (volume).

So either use multiple aspirators in a manifold, buy a better vacuum pump, or have the vacuum you do have operate over a smaller area.

Try getting a thistle tube, before the advent of cheap and humungous high vac sources they were the last word in filtering.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 23-4-2004 at 23:25

Quote:

another possibility is to solve the root problem. Not enough vacuum (volume)

Thats nonsense.

Vacuum filtration doesnt need high vacuum at all - it is even possible to clog filters by using a too strong vacuum source - a aspirator running half power is perfect.
A layer of celite on the filter paper often helps a lot against clogging - the basic problem of clogging is either a mismatch between particles and pores size or plain a to low a surface area of the filter.

Irgendwas is ja immer
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 24-4-2004 at 07:43

Quote:
Originally posted by Organikum
Quote:

another possibility is to solve the root problem. Not enough vacuum (volume)

Thats nonsense.
- the basic problem of clogging is either a mismatch between particles and pores size or plain a to low a surface area of the filter.

Not necessarily......I could not see his equipment, but I got the feeling that his problem might be that he was using a small glass aspirator with an 11 inch buchner funnel.

Remember, that Thunder didn't say that the paper was clogged, but rather that the flow rate didn't seem to get much faster than the normal flow rate with gravity

(however I agree with everything else you had mentioned about clogging)

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 24-4-2004 at 10:24

There is no problem in using a small glass-aspirator with a 11" Buchner.

Also when the filter is clogged some liquid will dissipiate through - almost always. Slowly, but it will. A perfect tight seal isnt so easy to get - ask a shipbuilder or a plumber....
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-4-2004 at 12:38

I'm using a vacuum pump that works well for every other filtration I try. Flow rate is good, it was just for one particular filtering that I was having trouble. So it must have been "dirty" with thick stuffs which prevented it from filtering nicely. I'll have to use glass wool next time. Thanks for all the responses, it's appreciated.

Go To Top