Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glass Joint grease for acids?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 12:53
Glass Joint grease for acids?

Pardon the dumb title but this question is to the experienced out there: For Nitric or Sulfuric acid distillations( or other lab work with the concentrated acids) what is your preferred ( or rather recommended) joint lubricant ? would the Teflon joint sleeves do well here? or would the fluorinated( or high vacuum?) grease be better? I have indeed done a search regarding this but not much luck.. So to avoid contamination I though it best to ask here.
I thank you all the same.

[Edited on 6-3-2012 by Funkerman23]
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 13:03

Its not a dumb question at all. Personally, I would use either - I have even heard of some users not using anything at all for such materials. I did hear somewhere on this forum, though, that for HNO3 distillations a tiny amount of H2SO4 can be used.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 18:46

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Its not a dumb question at all. Personally, I would use either - I have even heard of some users not using anything at all for such materials. I did hear somewhere on this forum, though, that for HNO3 distillations a tiny amount of H2SO4 can be used.
ehh I just figured to ask to confirm or to get a fair warning. SO far as I know the fluorinated grease won't react with the acids mentioned, or anything that the glass itself can handle. But after hearing that Teflon sleeves might result in burst joints( due to thermal expansion) I was hoping to get a consensus on the validity of that rumor. Either way that goes I know that Teflon ( or PTFE ) won't react t nitric acid or sulfuric. and while a little sulfuric contamination isn't a critical sometimes you need a purer product.I still hope others with more experience chime in but I guess I'll just take the plunge and give it a go with the ptfe sleeves.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 19:03

I have never seen so many people obsessed with grease, of all things.

When I Google the forum for "grease", I get 302 hits.

Can anything more possibly be said about lubrication?

If so, it would be Krytox, and even that has been discussed.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 10:37

Update: it seems the sleeves are a much better option. Teflon tape not so much...But still usable.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 11:00

I have used Teflon tape a lot, but recently had one break when it got hot. I'm sure i just had it to tightly jammed together, so the joint was already under stress. When the tape expanded slightly with heating, CRACK.:( A small smear of conf. sulfuric acid works great as grease for RFNA distillations, and water can be used with a lot of aqueous work and steam distillation. I have used white petroleum when reactivity isn't an issue. For finicky work, or high vacuum work, use the good stuff, silicone grease or whatever. It's expensive but a little dab will do ya.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 10:17

i personally put silicone gease (tasteless and odourless, i found this out myself)
and if im working with more dangerous things i wrap some teflon tape around the joint once its assembled.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 11:14

Lowes' hardware sells silicone grease for faucets (i think...) It comes in a little gray stout cylinder with a cap. Has anyone had problems using this grease?
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 13:38

I think I've heard of one or two people using that . . .IIRC I recently discussed with MrHomeScientist on his video on purifying DCM (my YT username is 98JMA) about greases and he mentioned he was going to buy some of that and tell us how it works.

Pyro, I will ask - how did you not resist the temptation to eat your lab grease?!:)

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 09:18

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
I think I've heard of one or two people using that . . .IIRC I recently discussed with MrHomeScientist on his video on purifying DCM (my YT username is 98JMA) about greases and he mentioned he was going to buy some of that and tell us how it works.

Pyro, I will ask - how did you not resist the temptation to eat your lab grease?!:)

Ah so that was you eh? Yes in fact I did find that grease exactly as described (at Home Depot). I haven't used it yet, but I'll report how it goes when I do.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 10:31

grease isn't the only thing, i found a condenser makes a good lollypop :P
well, it wasn't lab grease, it was meant for general use. and i was fixing our kitchen aid, and wanted a grease that didn't taste like anything, and i had heard that silicone grease is the one, so i put i tiny bit on my finger and touched it with my tongue to make sure it wouldn't taint the food.
back on topic, the grease should be in most plumbing stores and isn't that expensive.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 15:33

Silicone oil/grease contaminiation is becoming one of my pet peeves. Most of the used glassware I've gotten something tenacious on it that causes water to bead, it takes a good soak in hot TSP + NaOH + ultrasonic bath, to get rid of it, and there's an oil layer on the bath after doing a batch of glassware.

I suspect it is silicone oil (they had a spilled bottle of it and looks like they dragged everything through it) the volumetric ware is affected by this, if water doesn't "sheet" on the glass it's not clean. I've even gotten some new lab glass with a mystery water repelling layer.

So, is silicone oil the likely culprit? I've read that NaOH reacts with it, so my theory is based on the fact that the caustic bath seems to get rid of it.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 17:50

I just did another DCM distillation today, using the silicone faucet grease from Home Depot. Worked great for me - no leaks detected, and the pieces were nice and easy to disassemble. Granted, I have no frame of reference because I never took organic chem lab in college so I don't have any experience with the 'good stuff' :) Seems pretty good to me though.

Go To Top